• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

US VA Medical coverage for Rated Service Connected Disabilities or other eligible persons living or traveling overseas

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Happy New Year everyone . Blessings, Peace and joy for the new year.

Providing some useful info on the VA Foreign Medical Program. It provides for medical coverage when traveling or living overseas : For USA Veterans with an officially documented Service Connected Disability or as otherwise noted eligibility ….

Info contained in the video and on the VA web page https://www.va.gov/COMMUNITYCARE/programs/veterans/fmp/index.asp#FAQs

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just to clarify, if a veteran has an accident or sickness while abroad that is not directly related to their serviced ability, then they would not be covered. If I understand this correctly, I would think that most disabled veterans would still want to take out private insurance? No?

Just to clarify, if a veteran has an accident or sickness while abroad that is not directly related to their serviced ability, then they would not be covered. If I understand this correctly, I would think that most disabled veterans would still want to take out private insurance? No?
This is an excerpt from page 7 benefits guide
“What Is and Is Not Covered
Unlike typical health benefit/insurance plans, where the range of benefits is standard among all enrolled beneficiaries/subscribers, FMP benefits are limited to services that are medically necessary to treat a VA-rated, service-connected disability or for a condition that is associated with and held to be aggravating a service-connected dis- ability. Supporting medical documentation is always required. General and health benefit exclusions are listed on page 8–9.”

I am a 100% service connected disabled veteran but I am also a 21 year Air Force regular retiree …this applies to me directly. I kept my other health insurance coverage just in case and I always choose a travel insurance with medical coverage which acts as a primary payer when I am on Camino or traveling overseas. I am considering spending more time overseas in the future. So I tend to agree with you @Marbe2 especially with getting other private health insurance while traveling or living outside the USA.

I do not think it will cover any treatment not related to the service connected disability but I hate to speculate so Where others are concerned it’s best to to direct any veteran who falls in this category directly to the source.
Please direct any questions to the VA Foreign Benefits Program.
With that said here is the link to the Benefits guide for the program. Starting on page 7 it shows what is covered or not covered

https://www.va.gov/COMMUNITYCARE/docs/pubfiles/programguides/FMP_Guide.pdf#

hope this helps !

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.