• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

USA American

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Beals

Time of past OR future Camino
Start Camino Frances Sept 9 2015
Camino Frances Aug 22 2017
There was a thread I couldn't participate in for some reason and I really want to respond.

In 2015, I was so fearful to walk alone, older, and female also a USA American, I didn't really talk to many people to begin with. Being aware of how we are thought of.

I have to say, it was really wonderful and empowering to meet and speak with people from all over the world and just be human beings who want the best for everyone around us.

Walk with kindness and love in your heart and it will come back to you.

Happy Trails.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There was a thread I couldn't participate in for some reason and I really want to respond.

In 2015, I was so fearful to walk alone, older, and female also a USA American, I didn't really talk to many people to begin with. Being aware of how we are thought of.

I have to say, it was really wonderful and empowering to meet and speak with people from all over the world and just be human beings who want the best for everyone around us.

Happy Trails.

we are all simply pilgrims on the Camino eager to meet other people from other places

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Pat Beals maybe the thread offended against the forum rule that we not discuss politics. It is there so that we keep the forum a friendly place. If nothing else the Camino teaches us that we humans share far more than divides us. Blisters, exhaustion, hard beds.....and glorious sunrises, inspiring stories, beautiful buildings. A place where, hopefully, we can put our fears aside.

99 percent of the reason people have wrong opinions about other countries can be traced to the actions and policies of those countries' governments. When you walk the Camino, you don't encounter governments, you encounter people. People, and especially those who have chosen to walk the Camino, are amazingly open and friendly to other pilgrims no matter what their country of origin.

Happy Trails.

How we are thought of? I think you've been misled. I've traveled all over the world and people love meeting Americans. The thread you probably tried to respond to is closed by the moderators because this kind of "political" talk is forbidden on this forum.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We all tend to have stereotyped views of people and parts of the world that we have never experienced. We even have stereotype views of what those other peoples' stereotypical views of us are.

The only way to move beyond that is to get out, travel and actually interact.

You may encounter interest and questions about your country, as it is an obvious conversation topic. On the camino, I often ask "what country are you from" almost immediately, but am much less likely to ask about personal topics. So, your country will be an early topic of conversation and of course people will ask about the issues that are in their daily newsfeeds. We do that at home, so why would it be different elsewhere?

No country is immune from bad opinions and stereotypes. No matter where you are from, try to recognize the kernels of truth, get comfortable which ones might be true for you and which ones are not, try to apply humour and humility, and then be the individual that you are!

If there is a topic you do not want to discuss, have a simple and kind response ready that you can use to deflect the topic, just as you would in various situations at home.

I've never experienced any negative attitudes towards me on the CF because I'm an American. In fact I get a lot of questions about the US and I have questions about other countries. It's interesting and sometimes there's even some friendly banter.
To the OP, I have no idea why you would have been in fear of travelling as an American. That's ridiculous.

Hola @Pat Beals; when you walk any of the various Caminos "you" (the pilgrim) will be the one who is being judged - not your government or any of the other 300 million citizens of the USA. BTW on my Camino (by bike) in 2015 I was never judged (at least not to my face) and I doubt any pilgrim making an honest effort to walk The Way of St James will ever be judged.
For me the brilliance of the Camino is that we are able to meet fellow travellers from almost all of the countries of the world and meet as equals "one to one". If asked I would encourage all citizens of the USA to come to Spain; walk a Camino; enjoy the freedom! Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am a dual citizen of US/Canada I lived in France and England in the early 80's and traveled to various countries of Europe, as well as, other continents over the years. I have never had any troubles or disagreements with anyone. I am openly interested in other cultures, religions, etc and want to ask questions and understand differences. Most people have the same curiosity. You are not your government, but one individual on a journey. If you approach travel this way it is a joyful endeavor. Always be polite, try to learn a few words such as please, thank you, excuse me, etc. and most people and places will welcome you. Buen Camino!

One smart dude.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is conflating two perspectives that is the problem here. Nations deal with other nations in a certain manner and may or may not have anything in common with the manner in which individuals deal with each other. Having a personal fear of something is a separate thing and only the individual is capable of abandoning fear.

It has been a few decades since I lived in France. I love France and enjoyed the years I lived there immensely. During that time there were a few experiences where individuals upon learning that I was a US citizen accosted me verbally and were quite upset with me - to them I represented my country. I felt then and I feel now that the experience was their personal problem.

Living in the Middle East I only recall a single experience with a Yemeni that was similar. However, there were other experiences where I was personally endangered. When experiences are personal - when they personally endanger us it becomes a whole new experience. I have to work harder to limit the fear I have in certain parts of the world.

Some places in the world have lost their allure for me; however, I remain addicted to traveling and still would jump at the chance to live abroad. Everywhere I have gone or lived I have found beautiful people.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This thread is now closed, rule 2. I am sorry people, but really you should know that if something you say will cause disagreement with your political opponents, then it is political. I feel your pain but referring to a recently elected politician in a derogatory and insulting way is political. If you wish to exchange views privately, please use the private message system ("Start a conversation"). You can include multiple participants.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.