• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD USA to Europe - please share which COVID test you took preflight

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunbolt

Jeremy
Time of past OR future Camino
Please post which COVID test you took, where you took it (clinic and city), and what the turnaround time was. I think it would be incredibly helpful to a lot of people here. I feel like I am losing my mind - the entry requirements for Portugal for example are NAAT test within 72 or antigen within 48, but so many tests say results in 'a few days'. Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Do you have a CVS Pharmacy near you? I've taken 2 PRC / NAAT tests there and results came back in about 36 hours. CVS says it takes 1-2 days for results.

Also your county should have plenty of PRC testing options. I've taken plenty of PCR tests in the last 18 months (for work) at different locations and all have come back in a lot less than 72 hours.

I have a layover in Lisbon in October and plan on going the CVS route 2 days before my flight. They are the most convenient for me.

I just flew through Lisbon Portugal yesterday on my way to Madrid from San Francisco. I flew with TAP airlines.

TAP airlines checked my test before allowing me on the plane. That was the last time I was ever asked to provide anything regarding test results. On arrival in Lisbon airport I was not asked as I went through border control and neither was I asked preflight to Spain or when I arrived in Spain.

I took an antigen test the morning before my flight because it was the cheapest option and Portugal accepts it now. Doesn’t have to be NAAT or PCR, although those are better tests. Check the Lisbon airport website, it has lots of detail about what tests are acceptable.

For testing places there are like millions in the US so I don’t think that would be helpful but I just googled testing sites in Pali Alto and was given 15 options of places to get it done around me. Results took less than 40 minutes to get back.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just flew through Lisbon Portugal yesterday on my way to Madrid from San Francisco. I flew with TAP airlines.

TAP airlines checked my test before allowing me on the plane. That was the last time I was ever asked to provide anything regarding test results. On arrival in Lisbon airport I was not asked as I went through border control and neither was I asked preflight to Spain or when I arrived in Spain.

I took an antigen test the morning before my flight because it was the cheapest option and Portugal accepts it now. Doesn’t have to be NAAT or PCR, although those are better tests. Check the Lisbon airport website, it has lots of detail about what tests are acceptable.

For testing places there are like millions in the US so I don’t think that would be helpful but I just googled testing sites in Pali Alto and was given 15 options of places to get it done around me. Results took less than 40 minutes to get back.

Hello neighbor. I'm taking that same flight in October.

How was your layover? You had to go through border control even though just transiting through?

Hello neighbor. I'm taking that same flight in October.

How was your layover? You had to go through border control even though just transiting through?
I was extremely lucky. The border control union (SIFFE I think it’s called?) are currently on strike. The line to get processed was easily 5 hours long. It was a mess with hundreds and hundreds of people waiting angrily.
I only had a 1.5hr layover in Lisbon and luckily a group of us with connecting flights were able to skip the line, after asking every single employee we could find for help haha.

So yes, must go through border control and get passport stamped in Lisbon before being allowed in terminal for connecting flight. I believe it was because it was going to another EU country and is treated differently than a full on “international” flight.

I was extremely lucky. The border control union (SIFFE I think it’s called?) are currently on strike. The line to get processed was easily 5 hours long. It was a mess with hundreds and hundreds of people waiting angrily.
I only had a 1.5hr layover in Lisbon and luckily a group of us with connecting flights were able to skip the line, after asking every single employee we could find for help haha.

So yes, must go through border control and get passport stamped in Lisbon before being allowed in terminal for connecting flight. I believe it was because it was going to another EU country and is treated differently than a full on “international” flight.
Got it. Enjoy your Camino and hope you post about your experience.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Good to know, thanks! I’m flying Toronto to Lisboa on September 17 and will be bringing with me proof of full Pfizer vaccination and an antigen test done the morning of my flight. Upon landing the plan is to clear passport control and customs and then walk down the street to Oriente station to catch a train to Coimbra.
I’m hoping for no disruptions. 😊

Do you have a CVS Pharmacy near you? I've taken 2 PRC / NAAT tests there and results came back in about 36 hours. CVS says it takes 1-2 days for results.

Also your county should have plenty of PRC testing options. I've taken plenty of PCR tests in the last 18 months (for work) at different locations and all have come back in a lot less than 72 hours.

I have a layover in Lisbon in October and plan on going the CVS route 2 days before my flight. They are the most convenient for me.
I did the same!! And it’s free so that’s a plus.

Please post which COVID test you took, where you took it (clinic and city), and what the turnaround time was. I think it would be incredibly helpful to a lot of people here. I feel like I am losing my mind - the entry requirements for Portugal for example are NAAT test within 72 or antigen within 48, but so many tests say results in 'a few days'. Thank you.
My flight leaves Boston on Sun Aug 29. Most places do not run labs on weekends in Maine. But finally called my Drs office and they said one place does 24 hour turnaround for NAAT. It is an hour away but… So have a Friday appt within the 72 hrs. Also bought 2 test kits to take with me . Hope this helps. It was a frustrating process.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I travelled from Canada and back I couldn’t just go into a Walgreens etc. For a pcr (Canada doesn’t allow antigen for travel). I had to go to a special testing site for travel. It cost $165 US. It is so confusing. I am travelling from Canada to Spain (via Germany) and it doesn’t appear I need the test if I am fully vaccinated…is this correct?

This is on the TAP website re: testing

Passengers entering or transiting thru Portugal must present proof of testing for the screening of SARS-CoV-2 with a negative result, or they will be denied boarding. (including Portuguese citizens, residing in Portugal and their families):

• NAAT - Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests (RT-PCR, NEAR, TMA, LAMP, HDA, CRISPR, SDA, etc), performed within 72 hours prior to the time of departure on the 1st embarkation point,
    OR
  • An antigen test (TRAg) performed within 48 hours prior to the time of departure on the 1st embarkation point.
The pharmacy here in Canada (Shoppers Drug Mart) told me that they can give me an antigen test, test it and give me the results within 20 minutes for $40.

Last edited by a moderator:
I flew from Chicago to Lisbon. Took free PCR at CVS, which was ready in about 30 hours.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A bit freaking out. Flying Vancouver Canada via Montreal-Frankfurt into Bilbao Spain. On the countries websites both Germany and Spain I am reading they require proof of vaccine OR negative test OR Proof you no longer have covid. I have been so fastidious and now I am rushing around trying to find a test that I could take (just in case?) because the air Canada representative said that Germany has been very picky about pcr tests. But I cannot find anything on official government sites that requires more than one of the requirements. Please talk me off the ledge.

Remember that although you may be passing through one country into another (US-Portugal-Spain, for example), in the eyes of the Schengen immigration folks you are simply moving about the Schengen area so your first point of entry is the key to what is required. In this example, it would be Portugal. Technically, once you enter the Schengen, there is no “transiting” even though you move through various countries.

For those from the USA, imagine it’s like arriving from abroad in Texas and than flying on to New York - you’d be processed for immigration in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.