• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Use of CPap

Molly Kettler

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto to Santiago Spring 2018
My partner will need to use a CPap machine for sleep apnea. Does anyone have experience with this, and will it be possible to use an electric outlet for it in albergues? Planning to do Porto to Santiago in the Spring of 2018. Thanks in advance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My partner will need to use a CPap machine for sleep apnea. Does anyone have experience with this, and will it be possible to use an electric outlet for it in albergues? Planning to do Porto to Santiago in the Spring of 2018. Thanks in advance.
I have not personally used one but on my camino in 2015 I did meet a man who was using a CPap machine and sleeping in albergues. He said that if a bunk was not open next to an outlet he asked those who had one and explained why he needed to be near to an outlet. He said that he was always able to get someone to switch rather than their listening to him snore at night. Also...it's rare that if you arrive early you would ever have a problem finding an outlet. I did travel with a 6 foot extension cord that helped a few times as I needed to charge my electrical things at night. The extra cord would usually allow me to keep my phone on my bunk while it was charging. Buen Camino

I carried my cpap on the CF In 2015. No issues at all, I did tell them about it immediately upon arrival , and found that calling it a breathing machine was a lot easier than calling it a cpap. . Usually they just said no problem , outlets are everywhere. Once or twice they put me in a private room for fear that the machine was noisy. Most fellow pilgrims appreciated the white noise. Just remember to bring an extension cord just in case the outlet is too far away.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My experience is similar to those who have already posted. While I cannot tell whether every albergue will have sufficient outlets, I found most people tolerated the noise well. There was one unfortunate exception in over 40 nights.

I only had to ask to change beds once, and it wasn't a problem. I was moved to a bed next to a wall outlet when I explained that I needed to use the CPAP.

As a technical point, just make sure that your partner's CPAP works on 250V if you are coming from the US, Canada or other country where 110V is standard.

...As a technical point, just make sure that your partner's CPAP works on 250V if you are coming from the US, Canada or other country where 110V is standard.
Good point, Doug. This is an example of a case where a voltage conversion transformer may be needed, not just a plug adapter for us native 110v denizens.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I carried my cpap on the CF In 2015. No issues at all, I did tell them about it immediately upon arrival , and found that calling it a breathing machine was a lot easier than calling it a cpap. . Usually they just said no problem , outlets are everywhere. Once or twice they put me in a private room for fear that the machine was noisy. Most fellow pilgrims appreciated the white noise. Just remember to bring an extension cord just in case the outlet is too far away.
Thanks so much! Great to know

I have not personally used one but on my camino in 2015 I did meet a man who was using a CPap machine and sleeping in albergues. He said that if a bunk was not open next to an outlet he asked those who had one and explained why he needed to be near to an outlet. He said that he was always able to get someone to switch rather than their listening to him snore at night. Also...it's rare that if you arrive early you would ever have a problem finding an outlet. I did travel with a 6 foot extension cord that helped a few times as I needed to charge my electrical things at night. The extra cord would usually allow me to keep my phone on my bunk while it was charging. Buen Camino
Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,

I used my CPAP machine on the Portuguese in 2015 with no issues.

We stayed in Albergues and there wasn't any issues with access to power points as I take an extension lead and sleep on the bottom bunk. I have had my machine for about 5 years and is pretty heavy (about 4 kgs with lead) but there are some lighter machines available these days if weight is an issue.

Enjoy your Camino :)

Thanks, Risky. He is planning to purchase one of the new super light weight models.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
I used my cpap on the CF last year. I had no issues with finding an outlet for the power, although if I had a top bunk I usually ended up with the pump next to me. I did carry a card translated into Spanish to explain my need to be near a power point. I to was looking at buying one of the new light weight versions but was put off after reading a few negative comments. My trusted resmed 9 came with me, not too much more weight to carry but I needed a larger rucksack to carry it in.
Some pilgrims use the baggage transport to ship medical equipment to their next destination
Been Camino

Where did you get the extension cord you took and how long was it? I will be walking the Camino Frances starting this September and will use a CPAP.

Hi Mark,
I used the cable supplied with the cpap, it is approximately two metres long. I found this to be adequate in all but one Alberque, they kindly supplied me with a longer cable.
Just make sure your cpap works on 250v if not, you will need a voltage converter adaptor

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.