• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Use of fora

Barbara

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Since 2000 French and Spanish, bikes and walking
I was wondering how much help any forum is for a relatively simple task. I'm not trying to belittle anyone's worries, but it seems to me that there is a lot of excess thinking going on.
I cycled my first Camino, and the hardest part of the preparation was finding a pair of panniers for the bike I already owned. I had a map and a list of places to stay which I was given at SJPP. From home to there I just asked when I got to somewhere that seemed reasonable.
Then I decided to walk the Norte, and someone suggested going with a donkey. Yes, why not? So I found a donkey and a field for the donkey, did some local walks from home, and set off. Same again, this time I had a tent so i asked where I could stop, or did a little stealth camping. I did make sure I could hire a horsebox for the return journey. No phone. No internet.
That was it, really. So if it's that simple (and it is) why are we getting so wound up about a walk?
I suspect that if this forum had existed when I first set out I would have been quite intimidated by all the very serious discussion.
But truly, it's easy. Start where you want. Carry what you want. Go as far as you want each day. Give the Saint a hug. It's a walk in a first world country. Enjoy it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I suspect that if this forum had existed when I first set out I would have been quite intimidated by all the very serious discussion.
Me too. Sometimes it feels as if we are discussing a solo unsupported trek to the South Pole or climbing Everest without oxygen. The reality is so much simpler and less intimidating. My own particular puzzle about use of the forum is when people ask for recommendations for footwear or other gear. Then they receive twenty or thirty completely contradictory replies. How useful is that if the enquirer genuinely has no preconceptions?

What you say is true, and yet...If I hadn't had all the help gleaned from this forum before I walked my first Camino, I probably would not have had enough courage or the confidence to "go"; another opinion showing how we are all different; no right or wrong way.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I must agree with Barabara, as my experience is very similar to hers. (Although I have not tried a donkey trek - yet!) Nevertheless, I am sure that many people considering the Camino for the first time may find much of the information on the forum helpful, particularly if they are not experienced walkers, and that those with a wealth of experience enjoy discussing the finer details of equipment etc, as well as passing on knowledge about little-known routes and about the various hitches with accommodation on all the Caminos. But we are all different and all have different preferences, difficulties, perceptions and needs. I would hope that no one would be put off by the information overload on some posts, although I have occasionally seen posts that seem downright silly and others that make mountains out of molehills. For whatever reason that we choose to walk, let us hope that our experiences provide all of us with a good measure of fulfilment. Tom

To be fair the perspective of most of us that it’s actually very straightforward is informed by having done it. The neophyte view is informed by the countless vanity-published books and heroic tales told by those for whom it was a once-in-a-lifetime endeavour and, quite possibly, a considerable personal achievement.

We can’t ‘undiscover’ the internet - once upon a time one had to have some talent and a publisher before your views could be disseminated to the paying public. Now pretty much all information is free and it’s written by clowns like me.

Not all progress is progress.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for this. I was walking and missed that thread and discussion when it was fresh.
I walked the first time not knowing about the forum, and tend not to plan much anyway. Some people do a lot of planning, and need the details nailed down, others don't. Regardless, your encouraging advice is perfect, Barbara. Keep it simple - it's not hard!
But truly, it's easy. Start where you want. Carry what you want. Go as far as you want each day. Give the Saint a hug. It's a walk in a first world country. Enjoy it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
it seems to me that there is a lot of excess thinking going on.

The reality is so much simpler and less intimidating.

Keep it simple - it's not hard!

So what to do about this? Do we (someone) need to rethink the purpose of this forum that claims to be the place “Where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn”?

I don't know that there is any need to rethink the purpose of the forum. Surely it is a good idea to be open to the widest possible variety of genuine opinions, requirements and preferences? We are all very different. For me, for example, one of the great pleasures of a Camino, or any extended walk, is to set out in the morning with no idea where I will end up that evening. But my wife would be horrified at the idea of starting the day without accommodation safely reserved. (When we walk together, we do it her way, of course!) I am sure that there is space for everyone on the forum; after all, it is easy to ignore viewpoints of which you don't approve or with which you don't agree!

I was wondering how much help any forum is for a relatively simple task. I'm not trying to belittle anyone's worries, but it seems to me that there is a lot of excess thinking going on.
I cycled my first Camino, and the hardest part of the preparation was finding a pair of panniers for the bike I already owned. I had a map and a list of places to stay which I was given at SJPP. From home to there I just asked when I got to somewhere that seemed reasonable.
Then I decided to walk the Norte, and someone suggested going with a donkey. Yes, why not? So I found a donkey and a field for the donkey, did some local walks from home, and set off. Same again, this time I had a tent so i asked where I could stop, or did a little stealth camping. I did make sure I could hire a horsebox for the return journey. No phone. No internet.
That was it, really. So if it's that simple (and it is) why are we getting so wound up about a walk?
But truly, it's easy. Start where you want. Carry what you want. Go as far as you want each day. Give the Saint a hug. It's a walk in a first world country. Enjoy it

I wonder if something has been lost by all this? Most of these discussions revolve around the physical whereas Camino to me has always meant spiritual. It is a pilgrim route after all and I know the forum is littered with minefields of definition and analysis which is why I shall refrain from further comment and wish you all a buen camino :)

Samarkand.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think one advantage of the forum is that we can communicate with other people who are just as excited about the Camino as we are. I know when I mentioned doing the Camino several years ago to people they had one of two reactions:
1. "That's nice."
2. "Why in the world would you waste your trip to Spain walking for 2 months? What about seeing some of the rest of Europe or at least Spain?"

The people who responded that it seemed nice, soon glazed over and only feigned interest when my husband went on and on about the wonders of the Camino (and often still do when he tells his stories now.) The people who responded the second way would never be convinced that a walk across Spain would be as good as experiencing two months of travel in Europe instead.

There are only a few people in our circles out there who really want to talk about the Camino or even know much about it. Sometimes friends will say "Is that the hike thing in Spain? Oh yeah, I know someone who did that once." They never say "I know someone who did that twice, three times, four times, and volunteered there" or something similar.

Instead we are limited to posting on forums, joining organizations, and participating in meetings/Zoom chats to get our Camino fixes. My husband is involved in at least four different regular online meeting activities and chats (two weekly, two monthly) about the Camino just to get his Camino fix. We must haunt the forum reading all new posts in the early mornings or during our lunch and breaks.

No there is nothing really too difficult about making a pilgrimage for most people, but they need to talk about it and tell someone besides the average person who has no real interest or understanding. It gives them confirmation that they are doing something worthwhile and if someone wants to ask the which shoe/boot, sleeping bag, pack question for the millionth time, I am OK with that and it gives me something new to read on an otherwise Camino-less day.

Not meant to be a rant--just a heartfelt appreciation for the forum.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone's worries, but it seems to me that there is a lot of excess thinking going on.

And yet that's exactly the impression that's conveyed by responses like "you're overthinking it" or (worse) "yawn". Not all of us have the benefit of previous and/or repeated Camino experience, so we come here to learn from others who have. Being told our questions are overanxious or not even worth thinking about in the first place isn't helpful or kind. If a question bores or frustrates you, maybe choose a different thread to respond to?

Last edited:
No there is nothing really too difficult about making a pilgrimage for most people, but they need to talk about it and tell someone besides the average person who has no real interest or understanding. It gives them confirmation that they are doing something worthwhile and if someone wants to ask the which shoe/boot, sleeping bag, pack question for the millionth time, I am OK with that and it gives me something new to read on an otherwise Camino-less day.

This, to me, really expresses the value of this forum and all the wonderful folks who make it such a welcoming and helpful place. Thank you for the kind and supportive words.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And yet that's exactly the impression that's conveyed by responses like "you're overthinking it" or (worse) "yawn". Not all of us have the benefit of previous and/or repeated Camino experience, so we come here to learn from others who have. Being told our questions are overanxious or not even worth thinking about in the first place isn't helpful or kind. If a question bores or frustrates you, maybe choose a different thread to respond to?
Well, I didn't have the benefit of previous experience in 2000. Or a forum. I'm just suggesting, and I hope nicely, that there is no need to be over anxious about a walk in a civilised country, and an excess of planning isn't necessary.

Well, I didn't have the benefit of previous experience in 2000. Or a forum. I'm just suggesting, and I hope nicely, that there is no need to be over anxious about a walk in a civilised country, and an excess of planning isn't necessary.

Bully for you, as they say! :) But not everyone you're responding to has your same measure of self-confidence or -sufficiency. A little patience with them can go a long way.

And regardless of what things were like in 2000, we do have resources like this 22 years later - so why fault people for making use of them?

Last edited:
Let's remember, too, that many people are coming from far away to walk the Camino - and it may be a one-time thing for them, that they've been thinking about and planning for years. Not all of us get to come to Europe that often, much less spend days/ weeks walking. So the Forum is great for those questions that people have when they don't want to pack too much, when they're far from home, when they don't speak Spanish, French, or Portuguese very well, and when they want to try to make the most of their time doing what they've been dreaming and hoping for for so long.

Balance is always good, of course. No need to be overanxious. However, an exchange of ideas is always good, to help people make their own decisions and plans with more confidence.

Buen Camino to all. All pilgrims, with all levels of experience, are welcome here. And if we veterans don't feel like answering a question, we don't have to.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Bully for you, as they say! :) But not everyone you're responding to has your same measure of self-confidence or -sufficiency. A little patience with them can go a long way.

And regardless of what things were like in 2000, we do have resources like this 22 years later - so why fault people for making use of them?
Fair enough. It's a discussion, not an argument. I'm not trying to fault anyone, just suggesting a little relaxation, and not needing to have all the i's dotted and t's crossed.

If a person does not need the Forum; log out/leave. Or chat with equals in here.

I have been on this Forum for 13 years. 20 minutes ago I found important info in here for my upcoming stay in Villamayor de Monjardin, 2 weeks from now. Much appreciated. (I have never stayed there before; found the info in a comment to a photo).

The forum is an exchange of important info for many members, new and old. Some people may/do not need that info. Many, like me, appreciate it. It is all good.

I am 68 and I have walked many Caminos. I am still here, bc of the value the Forum is bringing for pilgrims, newbies as well as hardliners.

Edit: I believe I can walk the CF blindfolded with success, but it is nice to get impulses and addnl. info from fellow members. It is a long walk, and always something new to learn.

He who thinks he has finished his education, is just finished.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Chiming in to say that I also didn't know about this forum before I walked my first one, but that I love coming here now as reader, question-asker, and advice-giver! I am sure I could do everything on my own, but one of the things my first pilgrimage taught me is that it is okay to ask for help. This forum feels sometimes like the outgrowth of that lesson.

Also, despite being a seasoned hiker and pilgrim, I got advice last week in here about crossing the St. Bernard Pass that both alleviated my anxiety about summer snow AND saved me money & pack weight. I know that the Frances is super straightforward, but some of the other routes really do require planning and advance knowledge if you want to be safe.

OG pilgrims accepted alms, places to stay, advice, and lifts on horses & donkeys. In 2022, this is one of our ways of helping one another. For me, it's a way of staying connected with the pilgrim spirit, as giver & receiver.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back