• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Useful advice for (new) Peregrinos

pepi

Time of past OR future Camino
Last: Sept 2022
next 🤷
It happens to most peregrinos: We walk, meet, and chat with nice people; at the end of the Camino, you suddenly realize that you forgot to ask them for a contact. Here's my advise:
Part of preparing should include that you create small labels with your data, email address and perhaps a small picture of yourself that helps to remember the face.
For my forthcoming CF in late August, I have prepared this self-sticking label that I will hand over to nice compañeros:

Screenshot 2021-06-30 at 14.00.21.png

The QR can be filled with any date you wish to reveal....

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@pepi, do you have a recommendation for apps to create the QR code or will any app do?

View attachment 103615

☺️
I use QR CODER

At the last place I worked before retirement we were sent a standardised signature format for all company emails which just had to be doctored to take your name, position and qualifications. It also had a string of company logos (it was a consortium) and a QR tag. I changed mine to this and, in the 18 months before I retired, nobody noticed.

1625061524585.png

Be careful what data you put on display out there!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is a creative idea, but it will rise expectations. Not everyone with whom you shared a nice evening or more on the camino is willing to stay in touch thereafter.

I have walked various Caminos, but have not exchanged adresses vastly. In the whole I exchanged adresses with 9 or 19 other pilgrims. With four of them I write regularily, another four wrote back 2 or 3 times. Two did not answer at all.

There was only one occasion where I failed to exchange adresses and felt sorry for that. But - let´s call it camino magic - after nearly three years the unexpected happened. I found a newspaper article about one of these pilgrim friends and with that information I was able to contact him via email and to get in touch again with his friend, too.

So my advice is: Be open to new encounters but allow things to happen in a natural way.

It happens to most peregrinos: We walk, meet, and chat with nice people; at the end of the Camino, you suddenly realize that you forgot to ask them for a contact. Here's my advise:
Part of preparing should include that you create small labels with your data, email address and perhaps a small picture of yourself that helps to remember the face.
For my forthcoming CF in late August, I have prepared this self-sticking label that I will hand over to nice compañeros:

View attachment 103610

The QR can be filled with any date you wish to reveal....

Buen Camino
I had the same realization after my 2016 Camino (things were very different in 1989) so I made my own, somewhat different solution to the same problem before my 2018 Camino. I had made a personalized sello (stamp - of the self-inking variety) that says "Ultreia!", has the image I've used for my avatar here, and has my email address.

I figured people were getting stamps from all over the place: not just albergues and churches, but also bars, shops, people hanging out by the side of the road. They might like one from a fellow pilgrim. Some people liked to get the stamp in their credencial. Others preferred a separate piece of paper. But it was, like yours, a simple and easy way to share my contact information and one that seemed in keeping with pilgrim traditions.

I also used it to "sign" guestbooks that some albergues had.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had the same realization after my 2016 Camino (things were very different in 1989) so I made my own, somewhat different solution to the same problem before my 2018 Camino. I had made a personalized sello (stamp - of the self-inking variety) that says "Ultreia!", has the image I've used for my avatar here, and has my email address.

I figured people were getting stamps from all over the place: not just albergues and churches, but also bars, shops, people hanging out by the side of the road. They might like one from a fellow pilgrim. Some people liked to get the stamp in their credencial. Others preferred a separate piece of paper. But it was, like yours, a simple and easy way to share my contact information and one that seemed in keeping with pilgrim traditions.

I also used it to "sign" guestbooks that some albergues had.
Brilliant idea! I will get one myself.

I had made a personalized sello (stamp - of the self-inking variety) that says "Ultreia!", has the image I've used for my avatar here, and has my email address.
Love it!

And as a coincidental precursor to both this thread and your solution, I was given a QR code by a peregrina just two days ago and that led me to think about doing something similar and I also thought that making a stamp instead would be a neat alternative.

I use QR CODER

At the last place I worked before retirement we were sent a standardised signature format for all company emails which just had to be doctored to take your name, position and qualifications. It also had a string of company logos (it was a consortium) and a QR tag. I changed mine to this and, in the 18 months before I retired, nobody noticed.

View attachment 103623

Be careful what data you put on display out there!
Brilliant. You old subversive!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.