• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Useful apps for planning route

Wandalina

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese in September '18
Primitivo in September '19
Hi Everyone. Wondering does anyone have advice on apps? I've been trying to calculate distances on Google maps but it doesn't follow the Camino route. Is there an app which marks out the route and allows you to calculate distances? I'm not planning on following suggested routes from guide books all the time. Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Godesalco has the best website-based tool for route planning that I know of:

https://godesalco.com/plan

My app, TrailSmart, is excellent for planning on a mobile device. It's free with no advertising (only buying offline maps has a price, which you won't need for planning -- Google maps are built in). TrailSmart currently covers the Francés, Portugués, Primitivo, and Finisterre. It's available for iOS and Android.

If you are just planning from home, Godesalco should be more than sufficient.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Everyone. Wondering does anyone have advice on apps? I've been trying to calculate distances on Google maps but it doesn't follow the Camino route. Is there an app which marks out the route and allows you to calculate distances? I'm not planning on following suggested routes from guide books all the time. Thanks
It won't help you because there's distance and there's also elevation (up & down). Make your plan "on paper", allow 7-10 days plus till return flight and you'll be OK. If there will be too much rest days just enjoy them...

And Buen Camino :)

I use Maps.me. You can download the routes here.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

My app, TrailSmart, is excellent for planning on a mobile device. It's free with no advertising (only buying offline maps has a price, which you won't need for planning -- Google maps are built in). TrailSmart currently covers the Francés, Portugués, Primitivo, and Finisterre. It's available for iOS and Android.

I liked TrailSmart as well. It is very full of options so play with it in advance to learn how to navigate the app.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Of these, only Gronze.com includes the full Portugues. Buen Camino only includes the Spanish portion from Tui and Forwalk.org and Godesalco.com don't cover it at all. Worth mentioning, perhaps, because this is a thread in the Camino Portugues forum.
It is worth mentioning that the Camino Portugués (both central and coastal) is also covered extensively on the Wise Pilgrim site, and in English. There are plenty of to scale maps, and descriptions.

As the author I can also add that the Variante Espiritual is coming soon too.

I just downloaded Buen Camino the app. It's a free app but you might need to pay for the route info you want (I paid $8.49 CAD for the French route). It's really sweet. Shows you each town you're going to pass through, distances, some places to stay, things to see in each place you pass by, the amenities... I'm also going to carry the Brierly book but wondering if I can ditch it in place of this app - we'll see.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just downloaded Buen Camino the app. It's a free app but you might need to pay for the route info you want (I paid $8.49 CAD for the French route). It's really sweet. Shows you each town you're going to pass through, distances, some places to stay, things to see in each place you pass by, the amenities... I'm also going to carry the Brierly book but wondering if I can ditch it in place of this app - we'll see.
And it has offline mapping, so you can always check if you've gone astray. I've been using it for over a month and keep discovering new features.

While walking the VDLP this Spring an Aussie/New Zealander fellow(Hi Martin!) suggested an app that proved invaluable. "Windy Maps" can be accessed when in "airplane" mode. It can access any trail in the world. Problematic was to know exactly where I was in relation to the trail. It got me back on track when I took a wrong turn, or needed to bypass the trail due to construction, or quickly maneuvering through a town where the yellow arrows became difficult to find. It also can access all services in a given town or area. I'm certain there are other apps that have these same features, perhaps mentioned above, but Windy Maps was spot-on without needing to refer to a guidebook, or depend on arrows to get from point A to B.

Buen Camino

I have Trailsmart with the Portugues add on. Really well done

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As for me, I prefer Google Maps over other navigation apps because one can get (with a data connection) live updates of things like accidents, construction, heavy traffic, temporary road closures etc.
In addition you can also search for nearby businesses, and attractions and look up things like how busy they are and their opening/closing times. I find a lot of the little things come in handy.
But Google maps doesnt show the Camino path

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back