• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Useful information for visitors from abroad

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pretty much covers everything you need to know about visiting and travelling around Spain.

https://www.spain.info/en/discover-spain/practical-information-tourists-covid-19-travel-spain/

Buen and Safe Camino
I think I will stay home and put the Camino on a shelf for the time being. There are many exciting places I can travel to in my native Canada. Until a vaccine is found it's best to stay home. Nevertheless, Spain will suffer from a lack of tourism.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This was published as the World Health Organization (WHO) is raising alarms about a second wave in Europe, particularly among 7 countries, one of them Spain.

Interesting timing here.

.. a little too interesting....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This was published as the World Health Organization (WHO) is raising alarms about a second wave in Europe, particularly among 7 countries, one of them Spain. Interesting timing here.
Not quite. The information provided by the official Spanish tourism agency was Last updated on 17 September 2020, as you can read right at the beginning of the linked web page. You can easily verify that this Covid-19 web page with information for travellers to Spain itself has been around since at least the beginning of August when it appears for the first time in the Wayback Machine, a massive archive of internet webpages.

I find it rather reassuring that they update their web information. Not particularly interesting timing, just good website management.

I think I will stay home and put the Camino on a shelf for the time being. There are many exciting places I can travel to in my native Canada. Until a vaccine is found it's best to stay home. Nevertheless, Spain will suffer from a lack of tourism.
But remember, although the Camino is important to pilgrims like you and me, it accounts for less than 1% of tourists to Spain. Fatima receives 10 times as many pilgrims in May that Santiago receives in a year. So everything needs to be put in perspective.

Before the virus, as I live close to the Caminho, I meandered along part of the Camino almost every week, almost every month I walked a multi day trek. Every year I walked at least one, usually two full Caminos.

I am safe at home now, walking local walks. It will be a long time before I walk another Camino. I really wonder why anyone would walk a camino at the moment. The idea of how many people would be infected by a single pilgrim with the virus doesn't bare thinking about. Two weeks walking a linear route is a lot of people.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Washington Post, September 18th: "[Israel, Spain and France] crushed covid-19 — but are now reporting higher infection rates than the U.S."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...f750ac-f6c2-11ea-85f7-5941188a98cd_story.html

(A subscription may be needed to see the full article but the graphic tells the tale.)

Israel, Spain and France all fought the novel coronavirus into abatement in the first months of the pandemic with tough measures that won international praise. But the three countries now share a painful distinction: Their infection rates have shot past the United States, even though Americans never got the virus under control.

The experience of these three nations demonstrates the difficulty of keeping the virus at bay, experts and officials say, and how reopening too quickly and other missteps can undermine successful national policies. For countries with more chaotic approaches, such as the United States, the challenge may be even greater.

1600543366225.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back