• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Usernames, real names, and Zoom

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
I have noticed something and wonder what others think. This is purely my opinion. I am not fanatical about my internet privacy, but do like to maintain some sense of it. I realize that this may well be a futile effort and maybe I am being silly to even try. On the other hand, maybe some of you have thought along the same lines but not commented. So, I will! :cool:

On the Zoom calls, we often learn the real names of other forum members. Then when we have later exchanges in open threads on the forum, it may seem polite to address them by their real names since we feel that we know them. However, I suggest that in our written posts we should make a point of using the forum names that they have chosen to be known by. Some of you know my real first name, but on the forum I have chosen not to use it.

Some people use their real names as forum names, some use variations on their names, and other prefer to be completely anonymous for their own reasons. We shouldn't "out" them if we have met them on a call or even in person.

On a related topic, it would be extremely helpful if people would change the name on their picture on the Zoom call, to show their forum username. Then we will know who you are, as our forum friends. It is very easy to do - click on the three dots by your photo, and there is an option to change the screen name.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I log-on last week I used my Forum nick name. I can use my real name if people really want me to, but I think my photograph is a clear as the one I use on the Forum. Cheers

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is something I have noticed happening recently (as in the last year perhaps) on the forum - that people who know each other, use their first names. Sometimes I have had to do a bit of detective work to work out who is referring to whom! While all oldtimers will know that Laurie is @peregrina2000, it could be confusing for newbies, so I fully support your suggestion @C clearly.

I am on several Zoom interactions with different groups each week at present and the chances that I shall remember to change my name before every time that I begin one are minimal. If I can figure out how to do this in the first place. Such actions online always seem more obvious to others than to myself, alas.

The first time I logged in to a forum zoom meeting I saw my real name as my identifier. I quickly found my profile and changed my name to my forum user name. I just keep that one for all zoom gatherings. I tell people it is me, so I don’t bother changing it back. They all know the name is an abbreviation of my hometown. I have no VIP business meetings to attend though, where a real name might be expected. Generally, on the forum, I stick to my forum name. In pms, I give my real name. Very occasionally, I use my real name in a post if I refer to myself. I agree with respecting the relative privacy that a forum name gives, on open threads, to respond to the original question.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good reminders, @C clearly. Thank you.
I use Zoom professionally and need to keep my real name for those meetings. But it's easy to change back and forth.

Like @Kiwi-family I try to make it a habit to use Forum names rather than real names in public space, unless the person is widely known by either - then I have to remember, which I don't always.
Mea culpa, and apologies for when that's happened...

Interesting. I would have thought it courteous to use either a forum name, or where someone has signed off with a preferred name, that name. Nonetheless, there are forum members who seem to think it necessary to use some other contraction or expansion, particularly of a forename. It's hard to know what they are thinking when they do this, but I do know how it often feels - rude and patronizing.

As for web based conferencing and video chat tools, I now have five or six when not so long long ago I didn't feel the need for any. How times have changed. My working life now depends on one in particular, and there it is important to identify oneself properly.

On zoom, which I haven't needed for work, this is less problematic. I think @C clearly's proposal is quite sensible, and it would be useful to remind people when setting these meetings up that they can change their display name and how to do that.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would have thought it courteous to use either a forum name, or where someone has signed off with a preferred name, that name. Nonetheless, there are forum members who seem to think it necessary to use some other contraction or expansion, particularly of a forename.
I am just not clear on what you mean. The forum name is what I suggested. By the contraction, are you referring to the common contraction of a forum username? For example, calling me "C" instead of "@C clearly". I really don't mind that, but can see that sometimes it might seem flippant.

I think @C clearly's proposal is quite sensible, and it would be useful to remind people when setting these meetings up that they can change their display name and how to do that.
i agree and very useful advice.
On a more humorous note, we use zoom for family meetings (my children are at all four corners of the world 🙄), one of my sons set it up and signed himself as ‘the favourite one’.... Fine, made us all laugh.
EXCEPT he forgot to change it when he next used zoom for a business meeting 😳🤣
Keep safe all.

I am just not clear on what you mean. The forum name is what I suggested. By the contraction, are you referring to the common contraction of a forum username? For example, calling me "C" instead of "@C clearly". I really don't mind that, but can see that sometimes it might seem flippant.
@C clearly, my forum name is @dougfitz. In the past I have signed as 'Doug'. I appreciate when forum members respect that and use one or other of these. Otherwise ...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am another one who has used others’ real names in posts, and I am glad ©c clearly brought it to my attention. Like @VNwalking, I apologize for this. I have been totally unaware of the possible privacy concerns, and will try to remember in the future.
I ocassionally have done this, too, and have even bestowed a nickname a time or two...for example, I have called @dougfitz Dougy. I will refrain in the future.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You don't need to change your name in your Zoom main settings: every time you join a meeting it shows you your default name and allows you to temporarily edit it. Also if you want to change it during a meeting, hover top right corner of your own picture and three dots appear, there you can rename yourself mid chat.

I do find it super helpful if people use their forum name, with or without their first name. Otherwise they appear to me as just random people.

The only person (I think) I have called by her first name (unless it is in a PM), is @peregrina2000 . Apologies!
As for my forum name, it's my two initials and my name, and I don't mind being called AJ.
After the first zoom meeting, there was a suggestion to have forum names displayed, and I think it is a good idea, just so we can associate a face with a forum name.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can see in your member preferences that you can get notified if a post was made that mentions you. I assume that this will only work if the post has the name in the forum style with the @ in front. I have that preference turned on but I can't recall ever seeing a notice of this type. So thete is a software bug (a bad thing) or no one is talking about me (a good thing).

You don't need to change your name in your Zoom main settings: every time you join a meeting it shows you your default name and allows you to temporarily edit it. Also if you want to change it during a meeting, hover top right corner of your own picture and three dots appear, there you can rename yourself mid chat.

I do find it super helpful if people use their forum name, with or without their first name. Otherwise they appear to me as just random people.
@notion900
I have read your instructions and shall read them again (half a dozen times) before I enter my next camino Zoom meeting. I shall experiment with changing my name to my camino name at the beginning of my next Zoom meeting about the camino. But I don't want to find my camino name confusing people on the other regular Zoom meetings in which I participate. I have never set a name for using Zoom. I just had to give my name when I signed up for Zoom, so that is what automatically appears.

The only person (I think) I have called by her first name (unless it is in a PM), is @peregrina2000 . Apologies!
As for my forum name, it's my two initials and my name, and I don't mind being called AJ.
After the first zoom meeting, there was a suggestion to have forum names displayed, and I think it is a good idea, just so we can associate a face with a forum name.

Hi, AJ — I have been calling you this for years, now, but it was just a shortening of your forum name, NOT a guess at what people call you in “real life.” I did that because I frequently spelled the Guillaume part wrong when I tried to type in your forum name. ;)

Since I usually sign my posts with my real first name, I think everyone can assume that I am fine with revealing it. This is the only internet forum I am active on, so that explains my ignorance of the ways of web forums.

Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You can see in your member preferences that you can get notified if a post was made that mentions you. I assume that this will only work if the post has the name in the forum style with the @ in front. I have that preference turned on but I can't recall ever seeing a notice of this type. So thete is a software bug (a bad thing) or no one is talking about me (a good thing).

I think that there are lots of us for whom this doesn’t work. I vaguely remember pointing that out on some thread years ago, but I will flag this for Ivar‘s attention, since isolation may give him enough time to take a look again. I do think I remember that it had something to do with what kind of device you were using, but I can’t find the posts with the search function.

Hi, AJ — I have been calling you this for years, now, but it was just a shortening of your forum name, NOT a guess at what people call you in “real life.” I did that because I frequently spelled the Guillaume part wrong when I tried to type in your forum name. ;)

Ah yes, I should have thought about the spelling difficulty when I chose my forum name 😄
My initials are for André Jacques, and ever since I migrated from Switzerland to Australia, I anglicised my first name to Andrew. The second name is important, obviously in relation to my love of the Camino: my father, who was in Spain on the day I was born, a day before the feast of St James, wanted to name me Santiago... Jacques is James in French.

€60,-
I don’t even know what Zoom is but CClearly has a point. People that are comfortable showing their full name do in their username and occasionally we sign off with our first name. Eventually we might learn some first names and proper names if on the forum for awhile.

I am another one who has used others’ real names in posts, and I am glad ©c clearly brought it to my attention. Like @VNwalking, I apologize for this. I have been totally unaware of the possible privacy concerns, and will try to remember in the future.

Ops, guilty as charged. If pilgrims object to use of given names I will in future ask before using. Of course there are pilgrims whom I know personally so those will be excluded. Cheers

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.