• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Using 8-10 days on the C.I., how about sleeping

Marstein

My wife and I plans to travel with our two small children on the C.I. from Ferrol. We therefor plan to use somewhat longer time than the usual estimates, probably like 8-10 days on the trip. Taking it slowly and in the childrens pace (with preferably a stroller for effieciency :wink: ) Would it be possible to get beds (and preferably own rooms) along the path if walked in that pace?

Buen Camino
Christian

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is interesting. On the route itself in some places yes it is possible to walk shorter distances and there are new private accommodations on the route. But the main road is near to this route and it would be perfectly feasible find accommodation along that. Another option would be to get the telephone numbers of taxi firms (they work on an area basis as well as locally) and taxi back and forth from whatever accommodation you find - so for example in Betanzos walking forward as far as you want and getting a taxi to pick you up at a designated point and time then coming back to Betanzos to sleep to go back to that point the next morning to go forward to Hospital de Bruma.
There are other forum users preparing to walk this route in shorter stages, no doubt they will share what their researches have produced :)

Also the Tourist Offices along the way will be very helpful in identifying accommodations off the route should you choose to do that.

Let us know how you get on!

John

Sounds like it is really doable, even though I would prefer to avoid the taxiing/busing back and forth. Any hotells or accomodations to recommend?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome Christian and family.
We are planning on making more shorter stages too, in May 2011. So far we have looked at Johnny Walkers listings in the CSJ guide to the CI. The albergues and hostals fall alternately so by combining the two lists it is possible to keep the stages short, except from Betanzos to Bruma. Our idea here is to cross from Betanzos to Carral (on the Coruña arm) and find somewhere to stay there, then go on to Bruma. This gives 2 days of about 15km each and avoids using transport. We have been lent the Spanish maps of the area, and Google maps gives some idea of the route.
When do you plan to walk? We'll update as our plans/thoughts mature.
Buen Camino
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

We plan to walk next summer, out if what I see on the forum regarding temperature and crowds, I would say in june. Easier with june also because it is easier før us students to get summerjobs in july and august then june.
What about you?

Than connection between the routes sounded smart. Do you know how the paths are?

I'd say you will definitely find accommodation in Carral - there was an albergue planned for there but perhaps like that in Betanzos it has not progressed. If you e mail the Tourist Office in Betanzos I am sure they will advise - they are very helpful. Their details are in the Guide.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Marstein said:
Sounds like it is really doable, even though I would prefer to avoid the taxiing/busing back and forth. Any hotells or accomodations to recommend?

We do not want to use taxis either and are still planning our route after Betanzos, aiming to split that 32km into two 16km days. Our present thinking is to follow the guide (CSJ - Johnnie Walker's) from Betanzos to Cos, then turn west to seek accomodation without going as far as Carral. We would then head south again next day to As Travesas to rejoin the Camino and head to Meson do Vento. Then Meson do Vento to Ordes for another night.

We'll let you all know how it goes and where we find accomodation on the detour. We have the maps of the area and sufficient Spanish to ask for directions etc. as well as the updated CSJ guide which came this week. Just over 5 weeks to go!! :)
Buen Camino
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

Does anyone of you more experienced Ingles pilgrims have any idea if there is pension / hostal accomodation in Abegondo? This village is in between Betanzos and Bruma...
Still in the early stages of planning for April 2012 but seeing I will do this walk in a more limited timeframe than this years Frances I will have to " plan " next one a bit more...

Hola Sabine

I was in Abegondo just a couple of weeks ago asking this very question! There was some overflow accommodation listed in this postal district during the Holy Year but it is no longer I'm afraid. I take it you are concerned about the etapa from Betanzos - Bruma? It can be done in with some support either returning to Betanzos or going forward and back from Meson do Vento. Or we can look nearer the time of your departure. There will be a solution!

Best wishes

John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Johnnie, this particular etapa is indeed a bit of a worry. I know of course that there will be a solution..., part of the fun though is in the preparation.
From what I read about Meson do Vento it does seem a very nice place!

I'll keep on reading ( not too much ) and walking ( never enough ).

S.

Hi Sabine
The first time I did the CI I was a bit worried about Betanzos to Bruma/Meson and usually I walk in winter with short day light hours but it was fine. I think the first 3 days on the CI prepares you for this stretch. Enjoy.
Liz

Hi Sabine,
We finally walked the route given in the guide and broke the long day at Casa Julia, stayed at Meson do Vento (lovely people) and then were returned to Casa Julia next morning to walk on to Meson do Vento.
We did hear that there was some accomodation in the school at Leiro, before Casa Julia, but know nothing more about it. The Spanish pilgrims (men) said the key was at the Bar Zapatero in Leiro.

Another quest for Johnnie maybe. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tia Valeria said:
Hi Sabine,
We finally walked the route given in the guide and broke the long day at Casa Julia, stayed at Meson do Vento (lovely people) and then were returned to Casa Julia next morning to walk on to Meson do Vento.
We did hear that there was some accomodation in the school at Leiro, before Casa Julia, but know nothing more about it. The Spanish pilgrims (men) said the key was at the Bar Zapatero in Leiro.

Another quest for Johnnie maybe. :)

Yes...Johnnie has investigated and can find no evidence of said accommodation. It may have been a one off - this often happens if someone really needs accommodation and someone provides their spare room.

C.I. in late October

I'm hoping to get to Ferrol the middle or latter part of October and walk the CI. I'll take whatever time it takes and likely not less than 6 to 8 days. Wondering if this is cutting it fine in terms of weather and/or accommodation. Any thoughts?

Hola William

I've had to wear sun screen in late October. Let's check the local long range forecasts for you before you leave. Rain is probably the only issue you may have to contend with but it may be fine weather all the way.

John

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Many thanks... I've got the Spanish Met Office Web Site and will check. I'm sure there is bound to be rain. I find myself on the wrong side of the Altus Poncho discussion (I've purchased one of the 'Rain Series' models that are reported as less than satisfactory) but will move forward with what I have.

DV & VS!

WP

Hi William!
It would be VERY unusual to have a whole week of rain in October: you'll be fine. I'd love to hear what you finally think of the Ingles, after you've done it. I did the Portuguese last year - it was wonderful. And I failed the VdlP this year in May, when they had rain every day and I had to give up with severe blistering. But I'm just thinking of the Ingles maybe in 2014....

Buen camino!

Stephen.

Hello Stephen! I'll be sure to post the After-Action Review and let you know how I get along. I'm not planning on breaking any records, except maybe for the longest time on the shortest Camino! This will be a very gentlemanly peregrination.

I'm a Bluenoser and hence my question about rain - I was thinking that NW Spain is pretty similar to Nova Scotia, where the rain is sometimes a permanent blessing, except when it turns into fog or snow.

Ventus Secundus!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
William_Pullen said:
This will be a very gentlemanly peregrination. I'm a Bluenoser and hence my question about rain - I was thinking that NW Spain is pretty similar to Nova Scotia, where the rain is sometimes a permanent blessing, except when it turns into fog or snow.Ventus Secundus!
I walk slowly - around 15 to 20 kms a day. I take loads of pictures and talk to the animals. Yes, it can be wet in Galicia, but October is not usually a very wet month. I lived in N/E Spain for eight years and love the climate....and hate walking in rain!
Enjoy and 'buen camino'.

Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

William_Pullen said:
Hello Stephen! I'll be sure to post the After-Action Review and let you know how I get along. I'm not planning on breaking any records, except maybe for the longest time on the shortest Camino! This will be a very gentlemanly peregrination. .........
!
Hola and welcome. We took 9 days last year from Ferrol to Santiago. Using Johnnie's guide, downloadable for a donation on the CSJ website, we stopped at all the suggested stages rather than using either hostals or albergues. Also split the Betanzos/Meson do Vento stage as suggested on several Inglés posts. This http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-ingles/topic14859.html#p102641 was our itinery.
Have a great slow Camino
TerryB and Tia Valeria

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back