• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Debit Card Usage on the Camino Frances in France and Spain

Jeepl8d

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2023)
I will be doing the Camino Frances in June of 2023 and haven't used a debit card in years. I've searched the forum for the PIN format in France and Spain. I am unable to find this info. Can anyone who has recently walked the Camino tell me if the PIN MUST be 4 or 6 digits? Thank you so much! I'm a bit nervous about the logistics and this is one of many items on my list.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The debit card that I have always used when traveling has a 4-digit PIN. I have never had a problem using a debit card with any of the larger banks in France, Spain or Portugal. However, what I have done is to get a designated travel debit card from my bank. My bank simply created a second debit card account for me so that my day to day debit card that I use at home doesn’t even come with me. Therefore, I control the amount of money that I carry on this card. Since I can do online banking with this card, if need be, I could transfer more money to this account at any time. I also carry a credit card that doesn’t charge any international use fees. The combination of cards plus cash has always worked very well.

The debit card that I have always used when traveling has a 4-digit PIN. I have never had a problem using a debit card with any of the larger banks in France, Spain or Portugal. However, what I have done is to get a designated travel debit card from my bank. My bank simply created a second debit card account for me so that my day to day debit card that I use at home doesn’t even come with me. Therefore, I control the amount of money that I carry on this card. Since I can do online banking with this card, if need be, I could transfer more money to this account at any time. I also carry a credit card that doesn’t charge any international use fees. The combination of cards plus cash has always worked very well.
Thank you so much. The additional card is a great idea. I’ll follow up with my bank. I’m super grateful for the advice / experience.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Even better (usually) than using your regular bank debit card for those in the US is to open a Schwab Investor Checking account. When you use the Schwab debit card all ATM fees are reimbursed, and Schwab doesn't charge you to make withdrawals from any ATM. You can open an account online, and there is no minimum balance required, and no fees.

I like having my travel money in a separate account from the rest of my money.

I will be doing the Camino Frances in June of 2023 and haven't used a debit card in years. I've searched the forum for the PIN format in France and Spain. I am unable to find this info. Can anyone who has recently walked the Camino tell me if the PIN MUST be 4 or 6 digits? Thank you so much! I'm a bit nervous about the logistics and this is one of many items on my list.
Foreign travel with debit and credit cards issued abroad is actually quite easy. Here are the steps:

1. Ensure your PIN numbers are ONLY 4-numerical digits. Change them ahead of time if need be. Memorize them. DO NOT write them down where they can be discovered. I use an encrypted password manager app on my mobile device.

2. Notify your, bank, or the organization (VISA, Master Card, etc.) that services the banks credit and debit card accounts in advance about your travel. They will want to know the card number(s), destination, date of departure and date of return.

Some banks have a link in the support section that says "Travel," or "Report Foreign Travel." Use the search function to see if you can find it without having to hunt down every menu thread. My credit union has a link for the VISA cards they service. Another bank I use has a similar online link for the Master Card affinity card they sponsor.

Online reporting of planned foreign travel is fast, easy and good, because it typically results in a confirming text and or e-mail. I recommend it if available.

3. Carry the bank's customer service numbers for your credit or debit card with you, in case you have any problem and you need to contact the institution back home. MInd the time difference.

Enjoy your travels - Buen Camino!

Tom

I highly recommend getting a Revolut card. It is accepted basically everywhere. You can have multiple currencies on one card. It is a 4 digit pin. No ATM fees. I used it for 3 months in Europe last year never had a problem. Also since you load it from your bank. Keep the funds on it low so if it is lost or stolen they do not have access to your main account.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Even better (usually) than using your regular bank debit card for those in the US is to open a Schwab Investor Checking account. When you use the Schwab debit card all ATM fees are reimbursed, and Schwab doesn't charge you to make withdrawals from any ATM. You can open an account online, and there is no minimum balance required, and no fees.

I can't say enough good things about Schwab. I lost my debit card promptly upon arrival in Indonesia in 2019 (I'll blame it on severe jetlag) and they dispatched a fresh card via Fed-Ex at no extra charge. I'm not sure if that's standard practice now....I'm just saying, you want good customer service should anything go awry.

Whenever I call Schwab, at any hour for whatever reason, I get a human being on the other line who is ready and able to assist.

And yep, reimbursement of those pesky atm fees is one less thing to worry about, cost-wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
My debit card pin has 5 digits and my CC 4 lol. I did not have a problem with either.

I can't say enough good things about Schwab. I lost my debit card promptly upon arrival in Indonesia in 2019 (I'll blame it on severe lag) and they dispatched a fresh card via Fed-Ex at no extra charge. I'm not sure if that's standard practice now....I'm just saying, you want good customer service should anything go awry.

Whenever I call Schwab, at any hour for whatever reason, I get a human being on the other line who is ready and able to assist.

And yep, reimbursement of those pesky atm fees is one less thing to worry about, cost-wise.
Great idea and thank you all for sharing your experiences. I’ve got a good idea on my path forward. Wonderful support!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I like having my travel money in a separate account from the rest of my money.

Excellent suggestion! I just opened my Schwab account. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

4 digit works everywhere I have used an ATM in Spain, France, and Europe in general. Just be aware - depending on your bank - you might get foreign transaction fees and be charged ATM service fees by both the bank you use and your bank. Depends on your bank of course. To help with that, I just minimize how often I have to use the ATM. And be aware - many of the small towns don't have an ATM - best to get cash in each of the big cities - but 300 Euros in the big cities will usually hold you to the next big city.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.