• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Using a second Credencial

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo 2021
Portugues 2022
Frances 2023
I am walking the CP from Lisbon next month and have my credencial already. I notice there is not enough space to get stamps each day and I’m aware that the last 100 K is the important part but is it ok to pick up a second credencial and use it after I fill up the first. I do like the idea of having 2 stamps per day as it is a reminder of where I have been.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am walking the CP from Lisbon next month and have my credencial already. I notice there is not enough space to get stamps each day and I’m aware that the last 100 K is the important part but is it ok to pick up a second credencial and use it after I fill up the first. I do like the idea of having 2 stamps per day as it is a reminder of where I have been.
Depending on what you're going to do with your credential, if you plan on framing them then remember stamps on both sides won't display in a standard frame. So using multiple credentials will allow you to display just the one side with the stamps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, you can certainly use additional credentials — just write 'continuo' in the second and subsequent ones so they know it's a continuation of the first credential.

I had exactly this question back in May. It turned out not to be an issue at all.

You just show both credentials at the office in Santiago to get your distance certificate. I found that it was easier for me to start using my second passport when we got to Sarria, mainly as a reminder to me that I needed two stamps every day, once I got there. But then it turned out to be so easy to get stamps that I didn’t have to worry about it.

To satisfy the OCD side of me, I got two stamps from the same place to make the transition: the last stamp. in passport 1, and the first stamp in passport 2. But that was just me. Nobody else cared.

The easiest thing to do is scan a blank page of your credential and then print out multiple copies to add to your original. Just index them so you don't get confused. You can also use the blank side to add notes for future years when memories fade.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Used three on my first Camino. On that camino people were claiming the the "trophy" stamp on the Caminos is a stamp of a shell from a Shell gas station. No one found such a place on the Frances.. Did not find one like that on the Frances, The Primitivo, or the Portugese...but I did get a Stamp of a Shell from A Shell Gas station on the Norte!

I've always had enough spaces in one credential for a daily stamp plus a second stamp during the last 100 km.
The credentials issued by the Cathedral in Santiago and the Portuguese pilgrim association each have 64 spaces for stamps.

I'm partial to the design of the Portuguese credential, especially when doing the Camino Portugués. You can buy one at the Cathedral in Lisbon every day between 9:30 - 18:30.

allofit.jpg

Of course if you are a real "stamp collector" you may want more spaces.

"Extra" Credencials are available at the Cathedral in Lisbon and in Porto. On our last Camino Frances, we had 3 credencials: 1 for Religious/Spiritual (Churches, Parochials, Pilgrims Office, etc); 1 for where I stayed each night (Albergues, Casa Rurals, Refugios, Hotels, etc); and 1 for miscellaneous fun and to share (bars, restaurants, vendors, etc).

Howdy Camino Stamp.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ve used a single credential for multiple short canimos because I’m generally limited to 2-3 weeks at a time and they don’t always end in Santiago. I just add to one I’ve started, hopefully from the same major Camino route, for posterity and my own edification. I have a few that qualified for and have the Cathedral stamp, but that’s no longer the primary goal.

As said above, many pilgrims use/need more than one credential. I used 2, duct taped together (duct tape was part of my emergency equipment kit).
I suspect that the volunteers at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago would have given the Compostella to me anyway, judging from the way I looked when I showed up at their counter - CLEARLY a pilgrim who had walked, ahem, a few kilometers.

I filled a standard credencial on the CdMadrid, in four days. Sellos are free souvenirs, why would you not ..

My ‘bits and pieces’ credencial which I use whenever I go over for a week or so on any route which takes my fancy is now five credenciales taped together and stamped on both sides. I’ve no intention of presenting it for another compostella.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I certainly appreciate all the advice and I will stop by the cathedral in Lisbon an purchase an additional one. Thank you all!!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.