• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

using dectivated phone on Camino

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
When I upgraded phones, I kept my old iPhone 5s (It would be nice to take something I am less worried about losing or damaging)
Can I charge it up and take it to the Camino and put a Spanish SIM into it and expect it to work? I recognize that between Biarritz and Pamploma? I might be stuck without service.

Would it be possible to down load some of the apps I have been planning on using on that phone?
thanks
Nanc

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes you can. As long as your iPhone has a slot for a SIM card (not all cellular companies use removable SIM Cards).

The phone also has to be unlocked. For example: my cell service is with ATT. I submitted a unlock request on their website and then followed the directions they emailed me. Or many "mom and pop" type independent cell phone shops will unlock it for a small fee.

I use a Vodafone SIM while in Spain.

Yes, you can still download apps.

I often use 'old' phones when travelling in remote areas.

Just make sure it is 'unlocked' from the carrier that provided the phone. A quick phone call will find tat out.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, I put a Spanish sim in my Samsung galaxy s6 and used the phone at free WiFi spots with all the normal features and apps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I put a Spanish sim in my Samsung galaxy s6 and used the phone at free WiFi spots with all the normal features and apps.
Any added charges with the Spanish Sim card? Text, voice, or data? CF late August through September. Dates fluctuate. Not looking so good this year.

I am using my old 5s as a backup. Be sure it really is unlocked if you plan to use it for cellular data with a European SIM. An "unlocked" AT&T phone is not unlocked until, after AT&T unlocks it, you do a reset. Be sure to back up first since the phone will have none of your data (photos, notes, etc.) after a reset. If you back up first you can then restore.

Even without unlocking and getting a European SIM, your 5s will still work with local wifi and the GPS is functional. If you download the maps before you go, or with local wifi, a GPS app such as MotionGPS will be fully functional. With wifi, you can make calls with Skype or Google Hangouts and send texts with Whatsap.

Any added charges with the Spanish Sim card? Text, voice, or data? CF late August through September. Dates fluctuate. Not looking so good this year.

No extra charges

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks all esp for added info kmrice
Nanc

Just put a Vodaphone ES sim in my unlocked iPhone. €15 for 1.5GB. As much as possible make use of local wifi in restaurants, bars, albergues, etc to make the 1.5 last longer. Starting from Ponferrada tomorrow!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.