• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Using Insoles

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
I see lots of threads where folks have mentioned that they have used insoles for added comfort.

When I was planning for my first camino I had insoles made (I have mild scoliosis and they were designed to address the leg height difference). I never asked for them, my doctor recommended them.

I used them during some practice walks and they feel great BUT whilst they fitted my feet perfectly, they didn't fit my boot perfectly and I ended up with a blister on the heel/bottom of my foot... I'm guessing where they insole didn't quite fit the shoe and this allowed for friction? Anyway, I stopped using the insoles and things settled down.

On my second walk I walked with a few folks that had used insoles and suffered the same fate.

So, my question is... how do you ensure that the insole fits the shoe as perfectly and as seamlessly as the shoe's own insole? Are we doing it wrong? :rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I go to a specialty running store. They do foot measurements and a gait/mechanics analysis and then use inserts specifically sized for my shoes and gait. They take the inserts, heat them to soften the plastic, and then I stand on them on top of a very thick gel/foam pad. After about 60 seconds, the plastic hardens into place and the edges are specifically cut to fit the inside of the specific shoe.

I'm not sure if this will address the specific need you have for scoliosis, but it might be worth investigating. I suspect that insole mold for the foot where you need the heel lift could be molded in combination with the heal lift itself between the pad and the insert.

I would definitely recommend discussing the specific problem with your doctor (and bring your boots with you) to see if he has any feedback.

It could also simply be a case of having the heel lift in place changed your mechanics just enough that your feet are exposed to stresses they previously weren't, and there is simply an adjustment period as your feet adapt and toughen.

I have had the same issue, and the blisters were small but very deep. I have some Engo patches that I shall experiment with this year, but it could be tricky because of the need to remove the soles to dry/air. It would be great if someone came up with an alternative solution.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I go to a specialty running store. They do foot measurements and a gait/mechanics analysis and then use inserts specifically sized for my shoes and gait. They take the inserts, heat them to soften the plastic, and then I stand on them on top of a very thick gel/foam pad. After about 60 seconds, the plastic hardens into place and the edges are specifically cut to fit the inside of the specific shoe...

@koilife - I stood on that machine :D but their was no fitting to my shoe? That woud make lots more sense... and possibly the change in my walk did make a difference too?

To be honest I'm not too bothered with the specailist insoles, my problem is mild and only found a couple of years ago... I think the doc was trying to be helpful... I'm more curious now as to how other folks manage? Lots of people speak so highly of insoles... i'm always looking to make things better.

@Magwood I've seen the Engo patches and would love to hear from anyone using them... it seems such a simple solution?

I have already tried one of the patches to guard from a hotspot that my new boots were causing at the back of my heel, and it works perfectly - no more issues.

I haven't had an issue with my new boots with the problem you are referring to at the base of my heel. If this flares up during my walk (and past experince tells me they it might well arise around the halfway mark) I will apply a patch to the back edge of the insole and fold it over behind the edge...and cross my fingers.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@koilifeI've seen the Engo patches and would love to hear from anyone using them... it seems such a simple solution?
I've previously used Engo and carry them with me in case I get into a pinch.

The nice thing about Engo is they attach to the inside of the shoe. But, if you get wet much, they have a tendency to stop sticking far sooner than they otherwise might. Also, you have to attach either to the liner or to the interior wall, but not both, or you can't remove the liner without removing the patch.

Since I use highly porous shoes and not waterproof shoes or boots, I can (and frequently do) get water ingress when conditions are rainy, or when crossing streams, or mud ponds in the middle of the trail, etc. If Engo was part of my first line of blister prevention, I would have a problem with the kind of shoes I use. However, since I rely almost exclusively on fit and socks for my prevention, I only need Engo in the extraordinary case of developing a hot spot, which is likely only if compensating for some atypical condition (maybe my gait is different because I'm nursing tendinitis). Thus, even if I only get a few days relief from the Engo patch before it comes off, that should be all I need to get past the atypical cause.

@Magwood thanks for that... I'm going to order some patches now! My problem area was my small toes due to large feet! I'm working on the right shoes but I'll do anything to help prevent a major problom like I had on the first camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I always change out the insoles in my hiking shoes and runners. The ones that come with them are shite, and I also need the aftermarket insoles to prevent pronation.
My only solution for blisters, and has always worked for me is vaseline and thin, breathable socks.
cheers

@koilife - thanks for the tip! I have a strategy that every little helps... the right shoes, the right socks, stopping often, moisturising... and engo patches :rolleyes:
I suppose I have particularly tough feet from regularly sticking them in my mouth and chewing on them. Not sure if that counts as part of my strategy.

Edit: Not sure if "foot in mouth disease" or "putting one's foot in one's mouth" are US-only idioms, but for those that don't recognize the phrase, it means I really say stupid things with regularity. And often with my wife!

Last edited:
I use gel insoles which I buy from a large sports retailer. Sold oversized to be trimmed to fit by the customer. I take the original insoles out of my boots and use them as a cutting template. Quick and simple.
Exactly what I do too. Even cutting them slightly bigger than the original insole then cut cut cut very gingerly until they are exact. I buy the Dunlop Sport-- purple in colour gel insoles from Sport Direct in uk. About £10. They are extremely cushioning and have prevented any blisters forming for the past few years and it's like walking on air(sometimes!) my socks are quiet thin and I change them at least 5 times a day as my feet sweat. Now I will not walk any distance without these gel insoles.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many years ago (more than I care to remember) I was advised to wear two pairs of socks (a thin liner sock and a thicker outer one). The rationale being that your foot/sole is never rubbing on any part of the boot/shoe. So that takes care of the blisters. Now for the inner soles/inserts: I have started using them as the regular inserts supplied by shoe/boot manufacturers fail to provide the extra support/padding my feet require. This lack of padding resulted in me having to abandon my camino (the Via de la Plata) in 2013. I am using a sport/heavy use style which I have trimmed to fit inside correctly/comfortably inside the boot. The result is that my feet are happy, the nerve damage for 2013 has significantly lessened and I can resume planning for a date with the Camino Frances in May 2017.
But as is often said - there are as many solutions to foot troubles as there are pilgrims!! Buen Camino!!

Hey! My first response . . . :)

As a distance runner for 40+ years (I started VERY early . . .) my go-to insoles are Sorbothane Ultra Graphite Arch insoles (about $30.00). Incredible cushioning in the heel and ball of the foot, with a graphite arch for some arch support (but flexible). They can be cut to fit, and last a long time. I agree with others that the socks and shoe fit are also important parts of this preventative plan.

Good luck with your quest to find the best option for you.

I suppose I have particularly tough feet from regularly sticking them in my mouth and chewing on them. Not sure if that counts as part of my strategy.

Edit: Not sure if "foot in mouth disease" or "putting one's foot in one's mouth" are US-only idioms, but for those that don't recognize the phrase, it means I really say stupid things with regularity. And often with my wife!
I may have you beat with "burned bridges"....ha ha

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for all the good advice... I'm a convert to the two socks rule already.... I won't leave home without my cool max liner socks now. And regular stops and feet breaks too.

I was a bit nervous to try insoles again but I might give it a go on a few practice walks and see if I notice a difference. I know that finding the right width boot is the biggest hurdle for me but when the boots are right I'm happy to try anything that helps just a little... I really found that it was the combination of all things that worked for me before... And if I didn't do one then I paid for it. :rolleyes:

@Magwood thanks for that... I'm going to order some patches now! My problem area was my small toes due to large feet! I'm working on the right shoes but I'll do anything to help prevent a major problom like I had on the first camino

Last year I also used gel lined toe sleeves on my fourth toes where I always get a blister on the pad. They absolutely did the trick. It should work equally well on little toe. You could also try hikers wool wrapped around your little toe.

Your podiatrist should send you out to walk for a couple of weeks to detect problems, have you back in to tweek, out for a couple of weeks, etc.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I see lots of threads where folks have mentioned that they have used insoles for added comfort.

When I was planning for my first camino I had insoles made (I have mild scoliosis and they were designed to address the leg height difference). I never asked for them, my doctor recommended them.

I used them during some practice walks and they feel great BUT whilst they fitted my feet perfectly, they didn't fit my boot perfectly and I ended up with a blister on the heel/bottom of my foot... I'm guessing where they insole didn't quite fit the shoe and this allowed for friction? Anyway, I stopped using the insoles and things settled down.

On my second walk I walked with a few folks that had used insoles and suffered the same fate.

So, my question is... how do you ensure that the insole fits the shoe as perfectly and as seamlessly as the shoe's own insole? Are we doing it wrong? :rolleyes:

Boy thats exactly what happened to me, my first three days I walked in my crocs, I ditched my boots and bought a pair low shoes and used the insoles that came with it and finished with no problems, unless its made for the shoe you be wearing i know its a pain but... got with the insole that come with the shoe thats my two cents

zzotte

Was just at a shop this pm and the company rep was there talking to the staff explaining very clearly that the removable inserts that come with the shoes are for hygene, not support or comfort. Clearly this company expect its clients to purchase other inserts, inserts it does not make.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My experience with the the double sock thing. That was the rage when backpackers in high (read: cooler) mountains were carrying 50+lb. loads and had very heavy leather boots.
I was a backpacking guide in the 1980s (see the movie Wild--the gear is spot-on accurate), and I faithfully used that method ever since, including on the Frances (July 2014). It was a disaster. The Camino is much hotter than any mountains I've ever hiked, and the pack was nothing (12lbs). I did not need all that foot support. Worse yet, the boots plus double socks were caused too much heat build up in the feet, resulting in heat rash and some epic blisters (across the entire ball of both feet, between toes, on the ends of every toe).

I finally figured it out: the Camino is not backpacking. By Burgos I had donated the boots and stuck the socks on the bottom of the pack, never to see the light of day again. I had bought a pair of well-ventilated running shoes and a couple of pairs of coolmax ankle socks. By Leon, I ditched the shoes and got Keen sandals and a pair of trail shoes to alternate between. The blisters largely healed by the Cruz de Ferro.

Then I lightened up my backpacking gear (now about 33lbs with full food and water), and walked the John Muir Trail (200 miles) in the Sierra Nevada mountains (12-14,000' feet passes and mountain tops) in a pair of Keen Arroyo II sandals with single layer Injin toe liner socks. Worked great (although the day it snowed was about the limit for sandals).

There are still times I use double socks. They are almost always in cool to cold situations, usually when there is snow on the ground. I do not think many people walk the Camino under those conditions.

BTW, I've long used Superfeet insoles (had them on the Camino, but left them with the boots). I've now switched to Sole Insoles, which I find just slightly better.

YMMV,
Buen Camino.
Jo Jo

@koilife - I stood on that machine :D but their was no fitting to my shoe? That woud make lots more sense... and possibly the change in my walk did make a difference too?

To be honest I'm not too bothered with the specailist insoles, my problem is mild and only found a couple of years ago... I think the doc was trying to be helpful... I'm more curious now as to how other folks manage? Lots of people speak so highly of insoles... i'm always looking to make things better.

@Magwood I've seen the Engo patches and would love to hear from anyone using them... it seems such a simple solution?

Hi Les
I posted an image of my insole and engo patch after 44 Camino days here

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last year I also used gel lined toe sleeves on my fourth toes where I always get a blister on the pad. They absolutely did the trick. It should work equally well on little toe. You could also try hikers wool wrapped around your little toe.

A good place to find high quality gel toe sleeves is in dancewear stores. Many ballet dancers use them when they wear point shoes.

Hi Les
I posted an image of my insole and engo patch after 44 Camino days here
That's really interesting, thanks for the link. Good to see that wrapping the Engo patch around the insole stays put and didn't cause the ridge to be more of a problem. I now feel more confident in using this method if needed. These lower heel blisters have always been a problem for me towards the end of a camino - never in the first few weeks - I haven't worked out why this is.

My experience with the the double sock thing. That was the rage when backpackers in high (read: cooler) mountains were carrying 50+lb. loads and had very heavy leather boots.
I was a backpacking guide in the 1980s (see the movie Wild--the gear is spot-on accurate), and I faithfully used that method ever since, including on the Frances (July 2014). It was a disaster. The Camino is much hotter than any mountains I've ever hiked, and the pack was nothing (12lbs). I did not need all that foot support. Worse yet, the boots plus double socks were caused too much heat build up in the feet, resulting in heat rash and some epic blisters (across the entire ball of both feet, between toes, on the ends of every toe).

I finally figured it out: the Camino is not backpacking. By Burgos I had donated the boots and stuck the socks on the bottom of the pack, never to see the light of day again. I had bought a pair of well-ventilated running shoes and a couple of pairs of coolmax ankle socks. By Leon, I ditched the shoes and got Keen sandals and a pair of trail shoes to alternate between. The blisters largely healed by the Cruz de Ferro.

Then I lightened up my backpacking gear (now about 33lbs with full food and water), and walked the John Muir Trail (200 miles) in the Sierra Nevada mountains (12-14,000' feet passes and mountain tops) in a pair of Keen Arroyo II sandals with single layer Injin toe liner socks. Worked great (although the day it snowed was about the limit for sandals).

There are still times I use double socks. They are almost always in cool to cold situations, usually when there is snow on the ground. I do not think many people walk the Camino under those conditions.

BTW, I've long used Superfeet insoles (had them on the Camino, but left them with the boots). I've now switched to Sole Insoles, which I find just slightly better.

YMMV,
Buen Camino.
Jo Jo
Yeah, I did some backpacking in the early 80's when I was in college. Backpacking combined with the classic American road trips of the day that college students would do. We carried the typical equipment of the day. External frame packs and mountain house dried food. Those down vests everyone wore then, and we wore the heavy, all leather boots of the day and the old double sock thing. I used to wear a pair of Herman Survivor boots, with the vibram lug soles. All our walking was in the woods and such, no improved surfaces, so I suppose the boots were a good thing and we never had blister problems. Of course we were very young too. A lot more agile and resilient I suppose. Didn't even give that stuff much thought. I look back on that and no way would I wear those boots I wore then to walk the Camino.
I remember a good friend of mine bought an internal frame pack and a pair of the early Vasque brand lighter weight synthetic hiking boots. We really thought he was high tech back then, ha ha.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

@Magwood I've used them and yes they are brilliant... oddly expensive in France but I get family to bring them over when they visit :D I've never tried hikers wool but happy to give it a go.

My little toes almost caused me to stop first time but second time around caused me very few problems... but it was a shorter walk... so for the VdlP I'm keen to add anything to the armoury if you like... prevention better than cure and all that!

@Jo Jo - your example just goes to show how personal these things are and how different we all are :D I'm not wearing boots but I do wear Salomon shoes and one pair of coolmax and one pair of drymax socks. I've tried a combination of different socks but this is the one that works best for me. During the Mesata when it was very hot I did swap to 2 pairs of drymax and in galicia I added some wool socks instead... but generally I think I'm happy with the combination (never say never though... I'm always open to new ideas!)

I had Keen sandals last time but I've bought some teva's for this trip... I have to say I LOVE them and I can see me wearing them whenever possible on the way!

Just wanted to say again... many thanks for all the replies... it's always great to collect tips from you chaps! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My friend, who has a ballerina daughter, told me about the toe cap that dancers use in toe shoes. She had been on a hike and hurt her toes on a steep and long decline. He daughter told her to try this apparatus. She picked some up at the dance store and used them on the next hike, problem solved! I haven't tried it yet, just passing on some info. I just did an 8 mile hike this last weekend and took my Keen water proof mid height boots. I had decided not to take them on my Camino and had purchased Salomon trail running shoes, which I love too, but I sort of fell in love with the boots on this hike. It was very muddy and raining at times. This boots were amazing. I have some lighter weight Teva sport sandals that I was going to take as my back up shoes. I need some advice. I am going to be on the Camino May 12th through June 21st. Would you take the boots or the trail running shoes?? dang!! I thought I had made up my mind.

If I were walking in warm weather my trail runners would be great. We start walking this coming Saturday from SJPDP. So it is my Keen hiking boots with my Teva river sandals at the end of the day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Was just at a shop this pm and the company rep was there talking to the staff explaining very clearly that the removable inserts that come with the shoes are for hygene, not support or comfort. Clearly this company expect its clients to purchase other inserts, inserts it does not make.
Great - if only the fitting staff knew this and were able to advise the shopper accordingly. Now that I look back on the various types of walking/hiking shoes/boots I have purchased the "inner sole" was only a basic item - less than 3 mm (say 1/8 inch) thick and could never really provide the necessary foot protection. Again Thanks. (Now all we need to do is send a copy of your email to every hiking shoe/boot outfitter.) Cheers

Here is my recommendations on insoles.

· Don’t get anything that is soft or gel like. These insoles are designed for people that stand on their feet all day for comfort. They do feel comfortable but because they are soft the foot compresses them causing bounce back. This will lead to blisters most likely on the tops of your feet. Gel and foam insoles also have a tendency to create folds, which leads to blisters. My number two rule for preventing blisters is to stop movement within the boot. Anything that will compress will cause movement - so wear thin socks and hard insoles.

· Replace the original insole with the newly purchased insole. Make sure the insole fits tightly into the boot. It’s almost better to buy one that’s one size larger and cut it back to fit. Any gaps between the boot and the insole could allow it to move causing blisters.

· Make sure the replacement insole is about the same thickness of the original. My recommended insoles are slightly thinner than your standard mesh insole. I place a simple thin hard mesh insole, purchased at a shoe store, as a base to bring the foot up to the right height. If the foot is sitting too low, your toes may impact on the front seam. If too high, they’ll impact on the top toe of your boot.

· My recommendations for insoles are Super Feet and 3Feet (Sidas). I prefer the 3Feet over the Super Feet because they have a small gel cushion at the heel instead of a plastic pad.

· http://www.sidassport.com/nos-produits/randonnee/semelle-outdoor-3d-247-2.html

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I put my custom-made orthotics under the insole of my boot. The insoles is very flexible, so it conforms to the same shape as the orthotics. No problem with blisters.....yet.
Seabird, first I found the CF to be very rocky. The surface for the most part was not pleasant to walk on.
I inserted my custom orthotics in Moab Merrell Ventilators last year when I walked the CF. I have previously suffered through two bouts of plantar fascitis. The orthotics had a very inflexible sole, or so it seemed to me. I should not have used the orthotics, IMHO, but used a comfortable gel insert, instead. The orthoticsalso tore up the inner cushions of my Merrells. Thank God for duct tape!
Buen Camino

Seabird, first I found the CF to be very rocky. The surface for the most part was not pleasant to walk on.
I inserted my custom orthotics in Moab Merrell Ventilators last year when I walked the CF. I have previously suffered through two bouts of plantar fascitis. The orthotics had a very inflexible sole, or so it seemed to me. I should not have used the orthotics, IMHO, but used a comfortable gel insert, instead. The orthoticsalso tore up the inner cushions of my Merrells. Thank God for duct tape!
Buen Camino
Thank you for this information. I'll take another look at this.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino
@joe g texas aggies -- A follow-up question for you. My orthotics were designed to keep my feet from rolling improperly. What were your inserts designed to do? I'm wondering how the gel inserts would achieve the same effect? I'm going to look at some of the specialty inserts, but was wondering if you had any insight on this. Thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back