• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Using IPod Touch along the Camino

docr

Hi Fellow Pilgrims,
Starting our Pilgrimage in Mid-May. Being in my mid 60's, I'm not very familiar with the IPod Touch my kids got me for Christmas. What is entailed beforehand, please, in using it for e-mailing, while in France/Spain?
I'm coming from the US.
Thanks much,
Denny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Denny,
As a 70+ year old I suggest you look at http://www.ehow.com/how_2209407_check-e ... touch.html and its associated howtos on the side bar. You should have many test runs at home before you rely on this single very versatile device for communication. I am using this jack of all trades gadget for multiple things, such as a camera, maps, memo, alarm clock, showing family photos, Facebook, etc., also on Skype as a free international phone, and not only for music, you will learn as you go along.

The main difficulty is logging on into hotspots in unfamilar places. There are many many but some are difficult or tempermental to log on, try it out at the big Macs and Starbucks or at airports (usually OK) after seeting up your free accounts. Learn to tweak it, you can get all the tricks from your kids.

Enjoy

Grandpa Joe

NaKwendaSafari said:
Hi Denny,
As a 70+ year old I suggest you look at http://www.ehow.com/how_2209407_check-e ... touch.html and its associated howtos on the side bar. You should have many test runs at home before you rely on this single very versatile device for communication. I am using this jack of all trades gadget for multiple things, such as a camera, maps, memo, alarm clock, showing family photos, Facebook, etc., also on Skype as a free international phone, and not only for music, you will learn as you go along.

The main difficulty is logging on into hotspots in unfamilar places. There are many many but some are difficult or tempermental to log on, try it out at the big Macs and Starbucks or at airports (usually OK) after seeting up your free accounts. Learn to tweak it, you can get all the tricks from your kids.

Enjoy
Grandpa Joe
Thanks Joe....I really appreciate your help and suggested site.
Denny

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, The main problem with the Ipod touch/phone is lack of battery life. I am setting off in a couple of days on a long cycle journey during which I will be camping = no evening charge point.
I have bought a solar power charging device "Power Monkey Explorer" which has worked well in testing.
Its small, waterproof and the panel can be attached to a rucksack or pannier during the 'working' day.
The Iphone/touch website gives tips on power saving.
Enjoy
Dael

My brother, still on the Camino, has a WiFi device. He has found a lot of hot spots even in small villages (we would wander around looking for a signal!), but almost all were password locked. He was able to connect only in the larger cities.

Many cafes/bars have locked wifi... but if you are a paying customer (buy a cup of tea), if you ask for the password (Clave del wifi por favor?) they will give it to you...

Look for the Wifi sign in the window.

Saludos,
Ivar

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back