• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Using my knee length down filled jacket as a blanket?

Asel

Camino April 16/2016
Time of past OR future Camino
April 16, 2016
Hello, I am starting my Camino on April 16, 2016 and I'm so excited about the idea of hiking everyday. I think that my excitement would definitely be squashed if my pack was too heavy so I'm trying to pare it down as much as possible and have items that are multi purpose. I was thinking of using my knee length down filled jacket during the hiking and a blanket at night, it is light as a feather :). But I'm worried about it getting wet during the day if it is rainy and windy although I was hoping a long wet weather poncho would keep it dry. Does anyone have any thoughts or any experience with a down jacket?
Thank you for any information :)
Avi

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola Avi - The trouble with down jackets is that they are worse than useless when wet. They will either get wet from rain or from the condensation by being worn under a poncho or rain jacket. I tried with a down jacket I still have but would never now take on Camino. As well as being hopeless when wet it also proved to be too warm for long distance walking. Layering is the answer IMHO with a good outer shell so you can take off and put on according to conditions.

Buen Camino

John

I agree with @JohnnieWalker

If you need help with your packing list just put it up here in the forum and we all give our opinions ;-) Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree with @JohnnieWalker

If you need help with your packing list just put it up here in the forum and we all give our opinions ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Thank you! Is there a specific spot to post my packing list on this forum? I'm still learning the ways!

Hola Avi - The trouble with down jackets is that they are worse than useless when wet. They will either get wet from rain or from the condensation by being worn under a poncho or rain jacket. I tried with a down jacket I still have but would never now take on Camino. As well as being hopeless when wet it also proved to be too warm for long distance walking. Layering is the answer IMHO with a good outer shell so you can take off and put on according to conditions.

Buen Camino

John
Oh I never thought about the condensation, that would definitely be a problem. And you're probably right that it would be too warm because I overheat easily anyways when I'm hiking. Ok, I will have to rethink what to do about a blanket.
Thank you!

It might be a good idea starting a new thread in the sub-forum of the way you plan to walk. If you really want to make us happy state month(s) + gender together with 'packing list' in the thread title. That should draw in the critics quickly ;-) Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello, I am starting my Camino on April 16, 2016.
Avi
Hi Avi!! I am due south of you in WA so we're probably experiencing like weather. What I'd suggest (and what I am doing right now for my April CF continuation camino) is try all sorts of layer combo's during your training walks, then subtract one or two!!! I'll be on the meseta and I've looked at the historical April temps. I have the high end of the temps under control with what I packed last time and now through my snow covered training walks know what I need to layer just in case it does get to the 0C range. PM me if you want to see my list.

Hi Avi!! I am due south of you in WA so we're probably experiencing like weather. What I'd suggest (and what I am doing right now for my April CF continuation camino) is try all sorts of layer combo's during your training walks, then subtract one or two!!! I'll be on the meseta and I've looked at the historical April temps. I have the high end of the temps under control with what I packed last time and now through my snow covered training walks know what I need to layer just in case it does get to the 0C range. PM me if you want to see my list.
Hi GreatDane, Sorry I'm still figuring out this forum and didn't know that you had responded to me. Thank you for your input, yes we probably have similar weather. I too went out for a hike on Thursday in the snow and I had 2 long sleeve merino shirts and a thin jacket and was too warm even though the temperature was around 2 degrees celsuis. My hands were cold though and so were my feet but there was a slight rain and my gloves got wet. I don't know how to do PM yet.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It might be a good idea starting a new thread in the sub-forum of the way you plan to walk. If you really want to make us happy state month(s) + gender together with 'packing list' in the thread title. That should draw in the critics quickly ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Thank you SYates, I will do this once I have decided what to bring, I'm still figuring it out. I want to go as light as possible, I'm thinking 10 lbs if I can so everything I have so far is miniture and light weight. I definitely need input though because I'm confused about bringing a sleeping bag or just a silk liner and other such things. Thank you again :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
... I definitely need input though because I'm confused about bringing a sleeping bag or just a silk liner and other such things. Thank you again :)

April? Definitely bring a sleeping bag, unless you are always and only staying in pensions and hotels. Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back