• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Using the Altus with off and on rain

peregrina2000

Staff member
Now I don’t know why it has taken me more than 15 years to figure this out, but I must be a slow learner. The last two days have been very rainy. But there are always short periods of no rain and even sun. It just didn’t make sense to take the poncho totally off every time the rain stops, since it was likely to start up again soon.

My solution was to take my arms out of the sleeves and then put the sleeves under my backpack straps. No chance of having the poncho fall off and easy to get it back on again.

I am sure many of you have already figured this out, but just in case, and since it took me so many years, I thought I’d share it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Now I don’t know why it has taken me more than 15 years to figure this out, but I must be a slow learner. The last two days have been very rainy. But there are always short periods of no rain and even sun. It just didn’t make sense to take the poncho totally off every time the rain stops, since it was likely to start up again soon.

My solution was to take my arms out of the sleeves and then put the sleeves under my backpack straps. No chance of having the poncho fall off and easy to get it back on again.

I am sure many of you have already figured this out, but just in case, and since it took me so many years, I thought I’d share it.
Great idea. I will try this this year. I usually take it off and then stuff it between the waist strap and between my back and the pack. Great way to put it on for me is to face the wind put it over my head and put one hand through the sleeve, grab the bottom and pull it down and then put the other hand through the sleeve grab the other side and zip it up. Works great for me and the back of my Altus doesn't get caught up on the back of my pack. What camino are you on?

What camino are you on?
I’m on the Torres from Salamanca. I understand that all the rain is from Hurricane Dennis. And that we’ll get rain from hurricane Earl next week. It would be pretty bad to complain, since Spain has had such a terrible drought. As long as there’s no thunder and lightning, I’m fine with the rain.

Try the sleeve idea. It is so simple and quick.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I've never been a poncho wear and have always used a raincoat for rain when I backpack but I'm seriously considering using a poncho. There's pros and cons with the raincoat. Can you tell me why you prefer a poncho over a raincoat and if you don't bring a raincoat what do you use as a windbreaker or a jacket of some sort.

I've never been a poncho wear and have always used a raincoat for rain when I backpack but I'm seriously considering using a poncho. There's pros and cons with the raincoat. Can you tell me why you prefer a poncho over a raincoat and if you don't bring a raincoat what do you use as a windbreaker or a jacket of some sort.
The Altus isn't really a poncho. It's an oversized raincoat that has space for a backpack.

altus side view.jpgaltus front view.jpg

That's the beauty of the Altus ... it's a raincoat cut to wear over a backpack. We did a very off-and-on rainy Portuguese coastal Camino a few years ago and the Altus we're fabulous. Easy to slip on and off when the sun came out & your pack is always covered. They kept us dry in some torrential downpours.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I tie the sleeves around my waist. Either way, this is definitely the superpower of the Altus. No hassle, no taking the pack off and on, and a quick transition either way. Good to put the word out to everyone - thanks and buen camino, @peregrina2000!

I’m on the Torres from Salamanca. I understand that all the rain is from Hurricane Dennis. And that we’ll get rain from hurricane Earl next week. It would be pretty bad to complain, since Spain has had such a terrible drought. As long as there’s no thunder and lightning, I’m fine with the rain.

Try the sleeve idea. It is so simple and quick.
Definitely going with your sleeve idea in October. Buen Camino, have fun and stay safe.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I get really hot in a regular poncho, but the Altus opens up in the front to let in the breeze. Of course, if you're walking into the rain, you close it back up for a while.

The sleeves tucking method works, but an alternative (and possibly quicker to get on again) is as follows: undo the front zip of the Altus almost to the bottom, but not quite, so that it is still around the bottom of your legs. Take your arms out of the sleeves, push the altus completely off your shoulders and upper body, but leave it hanging off your pack. It is then still attached around the front at the bottom. It is easy to pull back on if it rains, and can't blow away or fall off without you knowing, but your upper body, and below your waist to about knee height, is free.

I wish they'd put pit zips in the Altus.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @Sus1 No point to a backpack cover if you and your pack are entirely covered with your Altus. Not to mention that water will get between your back and your pack if you only use a pack cover.
Standard disclaimer: your mileage may
vary.
All the best,
Paul
The backpack cover is useful once you get to your destination and take off your poncho. Water from poncho doesn't get into backpack, and, if it's still raining, backpack stays dry til you get indoors. Also, if it's been raining, you don't want to put the pack down in the water/mud, so the cover is useful there, too.

The sleeves tucking method works, but an alternative (and possibly quicker to get on again) is as follows: undo the front zip of the Altus almost to the bottom, but not quite, so that it is still around the bottom of your legs. Take your arms out of the sleeves, push the altus completely off your shoulders and upper body, but leave it hanging off your pack. It is then still attached around the front at the bottom. It is easy to pull back on if it rains, and can't blow away or fall off without you knowing, but your upper body, and below your waist to about knee height, is free.

I wish they'd put pit zips in the Altus.
That sounds like a good method.Ive had my Altus for ages.Havent used it too many times,but I was very,very glad I had it when I actually needed it.I was a bit shocked when I saw the price it is now though.

Question: if it is windy, do you have problems with the Altus acting like a parachute and then trying to wrap itself around your neck? Had this occur with a Sea to Summit poncho in a storm with high winds so my top half got absolutely drenched.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Question: if it is windy, do you have problems with the Altus acting like a parachute and then trying to wrap itself around your neck? Had this occur with a Sea to Summit poncho in a storm with high winds so my top half got absolutely drenched.
Since the Altus is not really a poncho - it's an oversized raincoat with room for the backpack, full sleeves, and a front zip, that's not a problem.

I been tellin' you Lucy! (with her best Dezi voice)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.