• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Using travel SIM card on camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

WazoSmurph

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2013
Hi there,
I am here in Australia. It has been suggested that I use the Travel SIM card for my phone when traveling on Camino and then Ireland. Has anyone had experience in using this SIM card while on the camino both for calls and data? I will be using an IPhone 4.

Many thanks for advice on this SIM card query. I have been hearing all sorts on the SIM cards and not sure which way to go with it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you want data 3G/4G then a local sim is the only economical option, there is no cheap roaming option for data, in Spain I plan to use http://www.mobipassport.com.au/ about $25 for 1Gb month. And free 5 min calls to Aust landlines.

I'm planning to forego the SIM card and set the phone (iPhone 4) to not receive a cellular signal during my camino. I've downloaded the SKYPE app and will use that to make calls (if needed) and check email (if I cannot resist) when a WIFI connection is available. Other than that, I hope to use the GPS tracking capability to monitor my walk, listen to music, and take pictures.

Dave

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It depends on the purpose for taking a phone. I use a Travelsim because it works out cheaper than a local SIM to ring home. I rarely make local calls when I'm away but, having very elderly parents, need to keep in contact with family.

You don't lose your Travelsim credit if you use the SIM card within each 6 month period. That's as easy as ringing your own phone and hanging up before it answers.

The downside is the initial $49.95 cost which works out expensive for a one-off use. However, mine is shortly to go on its third overseas holiday and has saved me far more than its purchase cost.

I would avoid Vodafone like the plague . When I bought my service in Pamplona, they were very clear in the Vodafone store that calls to the US were five Euro cents per minute after a twenty or thirty Euro cents set up fee. When my thirty Euros of credit were gone after one short call, I called Vodafone and was told calls to the US were more than a Euro a minute and that the cheapest rate they offered on any plan was eighteen Euro cents per minute and only during certain hours of the day. I was told I obviously misunderstood what I was told in the store--which plainly was not the case as the sales person spoke very good English and expressly confirmed that calls to the US were less than local calls. Because of Vodafone's bait and switch tactics, I was left with seriously limited communications options when I desperately needed them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Did you sign up for the plan? The link I posted is a plan that costs a fee every week. If you don't sign up for something similar you'll pay the normal rate.

hello,

this depends on what you will be using the smartphone for. i am until now for the last 2 years have been using a payg spanish orange sim card. i have only used this phone to call my family in dublin every night to let them know i am still alive and also talked to my friends in spain. i have no experience with data or roaming charges.i spent roughly less than 35 euros on the whole camino of 31 days plus 4 extra days in sdc. obviously you will be contacting australia, this will probably cost more.
also there is orange card that you can buy in the orange shop for 5 euros that gives you quite a few units to use. i don't know what is it called, it was bought by a spanish friend in the shop for me. anyone has any info on this card, please elaborate. the orange sim card works very well on the camino frances, but not on the vdlp.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I love Vodaphone. I bought a sim for my old unlocked iPhone 3. It works great. I don't make calls to the us but I do Skype. No problems last year or this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.