• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Utah/Mormon experience

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I too live in Utah, the land of many Mormons, Pilgrims are Pilgrims, religion is personal and I found walking Caminos has been a wonderful "catholic" experience (note the lowercase "c" as in catholic =universal ) My Camino families have been Buddhist , Jewish, Christian, Agnostic and wonderful.............. Willy, Utah

"Today, a little church in the town of Santiago de Compostela marks the spot where true believers claim the bones of James are buried. "

"little church"?????

Did a lot of research for the article, didn't they?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh, chalk it up to poor editing. I think they are to be commended for publishing any article that addresses a religious experience different from the Utah majority.

"Today, a little church in the town of Santiago de Compostela marks the spot where true believers claim the bones of James are buried. "

"little church"?????

Everything is relative! Perhaps they were comparing to the 253,000 square foot Temple in Salt Lake City.

I'm LDS and I will be walking. It would have been nice for the article to mention that James appeared to Joseph Smith and that all Mormons can derive as much from walking the camino as visiting SLC, Nauvoo, or Palmyra. How about a comparison of persons who have recreated the handcart journey from Iowa City to Salt Lake City with persons walking the Camino? There is helpful information in the article, but not very inspiring.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I laughed when I saw the line about the "little church." Like oursonpolaire, I thought about the Salt Lake Temple.

Most read last week in this forum

This may seem petty since the actual donation cost was minimal, but in February 2024, I sent some money to American Pilgrims (americanpilgrims.org) for two credentials in advance of an April 2024...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back