• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

UV Protectant Clothes

EmoJohnson

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese coastal way (2017)
Camino Frances (May/June 2018)
Anyone bother with purchasing UV protectant clothes or is this a waste of $?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I admit that I have not researched this topic at all, so I am offering pure opinion. I would not spend extra money for a label of "UV protectant" on clothes. My opinion is that virtually any fabric (that isn't obviously very sheer) will provide good sun protection. I certainly do not tan or burn under my clothes. Do you?

I admit that I have not researched this topic at all, so I am offering pure opinion. I would not spend extra money for a label of "UV protectant" on clothes. My opinion is that virtually any fabric (that isn't obviously very sheer) will provide good sun protection. I certainly do not tan or burn under my clothes. Do you?
Thanks for writing. I'm pretty fair, burn easily, but haven't had experience being exposed to intense sun for full days of walking.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm pretty fair, burn easily,
In this case you would be wise to find walking clothes that cover your skin - loose and lightweight, with long pants and long sleeves. (Not white, because it won't provide as much protection and it won't stay white for long. Not very dark colours or black because of the heat.) On my last walk I wore a merino wool tank top to soak up sweat, with a loose long sleeved shirt over it.

You also need to protect your eyes, face, ears and neck. Bring a hat with a wide brim - either all the way around, or as a legionnaire style with neck protection at the back. A collar on your shirt is also good.

You will get tanned or burned on the backs of your hands, too, so use sunscreen daily there. Some people even wear gloves for this reason.

From the Skin Cancer folks:
Today, systems for testing and determining UPF are similar around the world. In many countries, including the US, the ASTM International (formerly called the American Society for Testing and Materials) criteria for UPF assessment are used; UPF labels in the US often state that an item meets ASTM International standards.

Does all of this mean that everyone should specifically buy UPF-tested/UPF-labeled clothing, which most often carries a brand name? Is it so superior to everyday clothing that it is worth the extra expense and trouble to find? Not necessarily. Some items of clothing, such as denims and corduroys, are among the most sun-protective of all garments, UPF labels or not. However, a specially made high-UPF shirt, say, with long sleeves and a double layer of fabric at the shoulders — a high UV exposure area — might be constructed with a lightweight material that gives the wearer superior comfort and coolness as well as added sun safety. And the UPF label always adds a measure of certainty.

Knowing the rating is useful, but I suspect that manufacturers are using the concept for marketing at a higher price. A one-dollar cotton shirt with a tight weave will give the same protection as a $100 shirt with a name brand label.

From the Skin Cancer folks:
Today, systems for testing and determining UPF are similar around the world. In many countries, including the US, the ASTM International (formerly called the American Society for Testing and Materials) criteria for UPF assessment are used; UPF labels in the US often state that an item meets ASTM International standards....

Thanks for that explanation. Several times in my life I've had clothing store clerks try to sell me "SPF" shirts. I've tried to get them to explain what on earth that means, and they just shut down when questioned. The tan line on my arm where my (normal cotton) t-shirt starts is a pretty good indication that it has a very, very high SPF.

I do have one thin mesh t-shirt that I get a tiny amount of sun through, so the posted explanation that it may make some amount of sense for very thin, warm-weather clothing to be specially treated to be more sun protectant. I can't imagine it makes much difference though unless you're very, very fair skinned.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
UV protectant clothing need not be expensive. I have just ordered these cool dri shirts. They are highly rated and $16.42 for two including shipping. I hope they work out well.

To me, it is a waste of money and perhaps dangerous to your health, since your skin is your largest organ, your pores will be open from the exercise, and I'm not keen on absorbing those chemicals into my bloodstream.

Just wear what you have in your closet.
I prefer merino wool in both summer and winter, and layering.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
UV protectant clothing need not be expensive. I have just ordered these cool dri shirts. They are highly rated and $16.42 for two including shipping. I hope they work out well.

A while ago I started walking with poles from my home. We have had a mild winter, but spring is very cold here. As soon as I stepped out of the lee of the house, an icy wind hit my hands. I haven't worn gloves all winter, but I literally ran back home and grabbed my fleece gloves.
I had not been aware that one's hands (and arms) are so exposed when you walk with poles! now that I know I won't forget. ;)
Don't see myself wearing fleece in summer, but fortunately, when I followed your link I found many sun gloves and sun sleeves on offer. Not only that, but no matter what you buy, all users appear to be very satisfied with their purchase. :) :) :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.