• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

UV Sun Protection Sleeves

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
I still have 20 weeks to go before my next camino... but I'm giving myself plenty of time to plan and purchase! :D

Last year I burned my arm badly and I am advised, for at least a year or two, to keep the new skin out of the sun and covered when outside. Sunscreen is an option but they advised keeping it covered is better.

So I've been looking at different options for the camino as I'm normally a short sleeve tech t-shirt kind of girl.

I've come across these http://www.columbia.com/freezer-zero-arm-sleeves-SU9090.html and wondered if anyone has used them, or similar? Are they comfortable? If they work they could be exactly what I need... so any advice gratefully received.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have a look at this one.
http://www.rohan.co.uk/womens-trave...nctuary-Shirt-Long-Sleeve-ss16?ocode=04236C09

Designed to offer superb performance in hot conditions, the Sanctuary Shirt benefits from a UPF 40+ sun protection* rating that helps tackle the risk of sunburn and our rigorous Dynamic Moisture Control™ process – rapid wicking for active or hot weather comfort.

The Sanctuary Shirt also benefits from Insect Shield® technology, which converts clothing into long-lasting, effective and convenient insect protection – It helps protect against insects such as mosquitoes, ticks, ants, flies, chiggers and midges. And it’s so tightly bonded to the fabric fibres that it’ll retain its effectiveness through the life of the product.

The soft seersucker fabric construction stands away from the skin and is light to wear, keeping you cool and comfortable. Its combination of polyamide and polyester fibres means it is strong and durable, and looks good with no need to iron. The elastane content provides an ergonomic fit, for improved comfort and freedom of movement. And our Minimum Layer Construction™ reduces weight and bulk, and provides a quicker dry time, making this the perfect shirt for long treks.

The Sanctuary Shirt has bust and back darts for shaping, two chest pockets with touch and close fastening, and a hidden zipped pocket at the side seam to carry small essentials.

@wayfarer - that's one of the shirt that I've put on my shortlist:D It looks ideal

One of my worries is that I burned from the wrist down towards my elbow - so when I saw these sleeves I wondered if they would be like runners t-shirts with thumb holes? this would really give me protection... and then maybe I could have short-sleeve shirts? But I also wonder if they might be a little uncomfortable? I am going to Bordeaux in May so I will pay a visit to the shops and see if I can try a few. But it's good to go with a list... or I get side-tracked :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Personally I don't like the new Insectguard in Rohan clothing. I don't want permethrin next to my skin. However all Rohan long sleeved womens' shirts have the UV protection, although some have open V necks and I prefer them to button up if needed to keep the sun off. You can search the 'Souk' section (Offers) for last years Sanctuary shirt as they are far cheaper and have Biteguard ( a different insect repellent). Or watch for the mid-season sale.
I have the new 'Cambric' shirt, bought in the new season promotion, but have not worn it yet so cannot comment on how good it is. I hope it is as good as my old 'Walkers shirt' (also Rohan) as it is very similar.

PS:- Don't be tempted by the Canopy cape, it won't go over a pack and also the poppers let the water inside if it is raining hard as the side laps over to create a run-in :( Sad as the original capes were brilliant

Love them! I wear them all the time hiking and biking here in the desert. It gives you the protection of long sleeves, but the venting of short sleeves. I've got 3 pairs of sun ones and one pair of warm winter type. I use Pearl Izumis (bicycle gear brand), and some offer a 'cooling' effect. Not exactly sure of the science but when they get damp with sweat, a reaction takes place and they really do feel cooler! Note: some are slick nylon-y material, others are softer dri-tech material. I prefer the latter.

I use Eclipse Sun Sleeves and really like them. Cool by themselves in the sun and an extra layer of warmth under a long sleeved shirt or jacket.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many thanks for the replies and information. I'm really liking the idea of the sleeves, I think it gives me the protection i need but as you've mentioned it gives me some more flexibility too. Brilliant! thanks very much!

Having just been walking in my new Rohan 'Cambric' shirt I can say it is good and I am really happy with it. Details at post #4 above

Reviving an old thread rather than starting a new one:
Recently came back from a September camino from Burgos where I walked across the meseta in a mini heatwave. I was wearing a sun protective long sleeve shirt but find they wear out very quickly. So I was thinking about separate sun sleeves (not arm warmers) for versatility, and was hoping those of you who use them would share the brands and model sleeves you used and if they were any good? Some of the cheap ones seem dodgy and the not so cheap ones are really not cheap, so any help with picking a good pair would be very much appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Something about the shape of my arms made the sleeves NOT work for me at all. I am short and have small arms. I did not try them out before I left for my Camino. After wearing them one day and spending most of the day fiddling with them and trying to pull them up, I washed them and let them hanging on the drying rack and hope that someone else could pick them up and use them. The only thing I brought with me that I hadn’t tried in advance and the only thing I left behind so far.

I still have 20 weeks to go before my next camino... but I'm giving myself plenty of time to plan and purchase! :D

Last year I burned my arm badly and I am advised, for at least a year or two, to keep the new skin out of the sun and covered when outside. Sunscreen is an option but they advised keeping it covered is better.

So I've been looking at different options for the camino as I'm normally a short sleeve tech t-shirt kind of girl.

I've come across these http://www.columbia.com/freezer-zero-arm-sleeves-SU9090.html and wondered if anyone has used them, or similar? Are they comfortable? If they work they could be exactly what I need... so any advice gratefully received.

Just wear long sleeves :rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just wear long sleeves
Well yes, but in this instance the OP was and I am looking for info on the sleeves. I have been walking with SPF long sleeve shirts for years and they do the job but they wear out quickly and are in many way single camino use. Plus I often have to change half way through the day if the temperature changes significantly, which it can do. With sleeves I could wear a T-shirt instead and just add or remove sleeves for convenience and lightweight versatility. I am getting a bit tired of the shirt look and feel (and cost) and have bought a long sleeve SPF top to try, but I can see a pair of sleeves being useful at home as well, as I have very pale skin and burn easily. And if the consensus is they are less protective and practical than I am hoping, back to the long sleeve top!

Well yes, but in this instance the OP was and I am looking for info on the sleeves. I have been walking with SPF long sleeve shirts for years and they do the job but they wear out quickly and are in many way single camino use. Plus I often have to change half way through the day if the temperature changes significantly, which it can do. With sleeves I could wear a T-shirt instead and just add or remove sleeves for convenience and lightweight versatility. I am getting a bit tired of the shirt look and feel (and cost) and have bought a long sleeve SPF top to try, but I can see a pair of sleeves being useful at home as well, as I have very pale skin and burn easily. And if the consensus is they are less protective and practical than I am hoping, back to the long sleeve top!

I'm obviously missing the point somewhere :rolleyes:

I wear long sleeves regardless of the weather.
Hot ...... long sleeves.
Cold.....add a layer.

2,000 kms on Camino and the same shirts are going strong.

Though recently, my long sleeves have morphed from tech shirts to Merino.

I do understand the OP was asking about sleeves.
Just couldn't understand the point of them.
Sorry to go off at a tangent. :(

Just interested to check out another option; I used to walk in trousers as well because most people do, but am much happier walking in tights and a skirt or dress. Walking in long sleeve tops in all weathers is not for me, I'd get too warm! I have a few long sleeve merino tops, some thin and some warmer, but for hot weather even the thin ones are too hot. Tech materials can feel icky and sticky when damp, and some develop tech stink no matter how much you wash them, so I was hoping a mix of merino T-shirt and sun protective sleeves could be an alternative. I already have all the merino T-shirts I'll need so it wouldn't break the bank either - though some of those sleeves are expensive!, so I'd rather find out from fellow pilgrims which ones are worth it before I buy
spending most of the day fiddling with them and trying to pull them up
I am sorry they didn't work for you, but that is useful information, definitely something I want to avoid because I'll have my hands full with my Pacerpoles!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
with a hood and thumb holes
Thank you for the tip, but it seems to be a hoodie and not separate pull-on, pull-off sun protective sleeves. I am specifically looking for sleeves only that can be used with any T-shirt or even a walking dress to protect arms from sunburn. Like this:

61BqxaawpYL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.