• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vézelay or le Puy?

ht701

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Santiago - Finesterre (July-October 2014)
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning my camino this summer and, while I was assuming I would walk le Puy to Finisterre, I've recently been looking into the Vézelay route (connecting to the Camino Francés at SJPdP).

I have a few questions, though:

(1) What are the relative advantages of the Vézelay route? Is it generally accepted that the Vézelay route is less visually stunning, but more meditative? I understand that, compared to le Puy, it is much emptier. I think I might like that, but will the shock of connecting to the Francés in mid-August completely crush my spirits?

(2) The Vézelay route looks longer than the Puy route. I currently have 32 days budgeted for le Puy to SJPdP (including rest/sightseeing days at le Puy, Conques, Cahors, and Moissac). Would that be enough for the Vézelay route?

(3) Are costs for gîtes comparable?

(4) Finally, and this might sound ridiculous, and I won't let it influence my decision--just curious--but I read somewhere (sorry, I can't remember where,) that many consider the Vézelay route to be the "true" route through France. Of course, I don't even know what is properly meant by that, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone had heard this before.

Thanks for your time. I appreciate all the help I've received on this forum so far.

Best,

--ht

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can't help you there, except to say that I found walking in France wonderful - loved it. (Only Moissac to St Jean, on the way to Santiago).
I am looking forward to the replies on here from those who have the information you are looking for

I haven't walked Vezelay, but I have Le Puy, part of the route from Arles and part of the route from Orleans through Tours to Poitier. As well as the Frances in Spain of course.

The Le Puy route is my favourite so far of the French routes, so much so that I went back and walked much of it a second time, taking the Cele Valley variant the second time. I did not think any of it was "busy" and we met not another person on the Cele Valley variant in May.

It is nice to meet a few other pilgrims along the way.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you David, I'm glad to hear it. I'm certainly excited to walk in France, whichever route I end up choosing.

And thanks for the words on the Puy route, Kanga. The more I think and read about it, I think I might take le Puy-Santiago (Francés) this time around. I've never dome a camino before, and if I love it I'm sure I'll want to go back for more. Perhaps next time I'll do Vézelay-Santiago (del Norte).

I haven't even started my first camino, and I'm already looking forward to my second one!

ht, If you haven't walked a Camino before, I would be inclined to go with the Le Puy route. It has a more developed infrastructure for pilgrims in terms of gites etc, and you are more likely to meet people who can help you if you need it. The Vezelay route is cheaper I think, but there are fewer and smaller gites. I'm thinking about walking it myself sometime- but I am not sure I would have liked the comparative loneliness of it first time around.
The Le Puy route is not actually very crowded, though if you leave Le Puy on a weekend with a crowd of day-walkers you might begin to wonder! The Le Puy route itself is a 'modern' creation- but it does go through many historic towns and villages that were definitely traversed by pilgrims. Le Puy, Saugues, Conques, Moissac and Ostabat are just some of the important medieval pilgrimage centres that you pass through. And you will see medieval pilgrim bridges, shrines and statues etc along the way. I found it fascinating, full of places of historic interest.
Margaret

I have walked Vezelay and enjoyed it very much, but it can be very lonely. You may see more deer than people some days. Buying food can be a problem as many villages have no shop and no bar. I would hesitate to recommend it to a first timer.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have not walked the Vezelay route so my opinion is a little biased. I loved the Le Puy Route last year much more than the Via De La Plata I completed in 2009. I can't wait to do another Camino thru France, the people, food, wine & accommodation were all above my expectations and I also loved the scenery and the history of the villages I walked thru so to me the Le Puy route wins hands down. I'm about to head off on the Camino Frances in May and I'm looking forward to it immensely.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I appreciate it.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back