• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Vac Requirements for Spain

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

momabaarjo

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
I am so confused reading government web pages and forums…

According to US vax requirements, 1 johnson&johnson vax shot is fully vaccinated. Do I need to take a booster for Spain…or is 1 dose enough?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am so confused reading government web pages and forums…

According to US vax requirements, 1 johnson&johnson vax shot is fully vaccinated. Do I need to take a booster for Spain…or is 1 dose enough?
If it has been more than 270 days since your shot you need a booster.

From the government's Travel Safe Spain website:

Notice: Keep in mind that you need 14 days from the last dose at least and no more than 270 days since the date of administration of your last dose. From that moment on, your vaccination certificate must show the administration of your booster dose. You may prove it with your EU COVID Certificate as long as it is updated and in force.

If it has been more than 270 days since your shot you need a booster.

From the government's Travel Safe Spain website:

Notice: Keep in mind that you need 14 days from the last dose at least and no more than 270 days since the date of administration of your last dose. From that moment on, your vaccination certificate must show the administration of your booster dose. You may prove it with your EU COVID Certificate as long as it is updated and in force.

Thank you…

1st dose (only 1 needed for H&M’s) was 4/2 so I think I am good.

Now I am reading that this is only for airport arrival to Spain. I am arriving via Paris. I assume 1 dose and proof of neg test would be enough, since there are no checkpoints crossing by foot into Spain.

Why does this have to be so confusing!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you…

Now I am reading that this is only for airport arrival to Spain. I am arriving via Paris. I assume 1 dose and proof of neg test would be enough, since there are no checkpoints crossing by foot into Spain.

I’ve seen several people with that plan.

Unless it has changed in the last few days, but worth doing anyway as it is free, complete the EU Digital Passenger Locator Form as you are flying into France.

For the umpteenth time: The fact that there are no checkpoints on the land borders between EU countries does not to mean that there are no Covid-19 public health restrictions that people ought to inform themselves about and comply with. Throughout 20+ months or so, the Spanish government had been particularly clear about their requirements for entering their country by air travel, by sea travel and by land travel where they even clearly specified whether it concerned travel by land from Portugal or travel by land from all of France or from specific regions of France. While they had at no point wasted human resources or financial resources to put border control on the Route Napoleon.

Also, at this point in time, don't airlines inform their passengers during the booking process about the requirements for boarding of the international flights they sell to their customers and don't they provide the links to relevant Covid-19 related public health requirements for each passenger booked to enter their destination country? At this point in time, passengers should not need to ask on social media.

But, ok, for reassurance, although @trecile and @Harland2019 have said it already: You fly from the USA to France. You walk from France to Spain. You had a first injection for Covid-19 immunisation on 2 April 2022 in the USA and it was the Johnson&Johnson vaccine (I don't understand what H&M means). So you need your vaccination certificate and also the filled in Passenger Locator Form for France. See https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/c...ations-pratiques/article/coronavirus-covid-19, updated on 2 April 2022. When you click on the link and have switched to English and start the form you will see what is shown in the screenshot below.

But all this ought to have been provided to you by your airline either during the booking process or when you got the confirmation email.

France digital PLF.jpg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

FWIW: Other usual ways of travelling from TCs to France: cruise ship, car ferry, and train. Passengers using these modes of transport don't have to fill in the PLF for France.

Thank you…

People miss what is NOT confusing... it's not the shots, it's what is accepted by the country as proof of having the shots. I know that Portugal on it's government websites does NOT accept the CDC Proof of vaccination. You need to find out what certificate is accepted. Then life will be easier... And read the fine print. Portugal accepts proof from countries where it has a reciprocal agreement to accept the various certificates... It DOES NOT have a reciprocal agreement with the USA.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For the umpteenth time: The fact that there are no checkpoints on the land borders between EU countries does not to mean that there are no Covid-19 public health restrictions that people ought to inform themselves about and comply with. Throughout 20+ months or so, the Spanish government had been particularly clear about their requirements for entering their country by air travel, by sea travel and by land travel where they even clearly specified whether it concerned travel by land from Portugal or travel by land from all of France or from specific regions of France. While they had at no point wasted human resources or financial resources to put border control on the Route Napoleon.

Also, at this point in time, don't airlines inform their passengers during the booking process about the requirements for boarding of the international flights they sell to their customers and don't they provide the links to relevant Covid-19 related public health requirements for each passenger booked to enter their destination country? At this point in time, passengers should not need to ask on social media.

But, ok, for reassurance, although @trecile and @Harland2019 have said it already: You fly from the USA to France. You walk from France to Spain. You had a first injection for Covid-19 immunisation on 2 April 2022 in the USA and it was the Johnson&Johnson vaccine (I don't understand what H&M means). So you need your vaccination certificate and also the filled in Passenger Locator Form for France. See https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/c...ations-pratiques/article/coronavirus-covid-19, updated on 2 April 2022. When you click on the link and have switched to English and start the form you will see what is shown in the screenshot below.

But all this ought to have been provided to you by your airline either during the booking process or when you got the confirmation email.

View attachment 123318
"For the umpteenth time" I am sorry to bothered you (you did not have to reply).

I have been reading threads, posts, country websites trying to figure this out without having to ask. I do not want to arrive and be wrong. You read one thing, and the next thing you read appears to be opposite what you just read. I am thankful that each country has own restrictions and policies, but at the same time it is hard to know.

As for the airline, no they did not provide with information when booking ticket...I wish they had.

Trying to respond on phone "J&J" came out "H&M", my apologies...I hate typos too.

I appreciate your post and the time you took to respond.

Walked into Spain from Portugal. All we needed to flying to Portugal was a negative test. And we have needed to show nothing else anywhere throughout Portugal and Spain.
So no one asked for proof of vaccination flying into Portugal? So who did you have to show negative test to? Airline in US?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

View attachment 123318
Please note, this passenger locator form for France appears to be a new requirement. I have friends who flew from United States to Paris Wednesday and filling out the online form was difficult because of functionality. I know someone who flew in march and there was no requirement for this form. Rules do keep changing!!!

True, Spain does have entry requirements regarding Covid. It's a given that you need to fill out an FCS form online to get a SpTH QR code to fly or boat in, but apparently not necessary if you cross the border by land. You should at the minimum have your vaccination status cleared.
I'm flying into France next week and will train to Hendaye, then cross the border into Irun, Spain, where we will start the Norte.
We're fully vaccinated and double boosted, and we've filled out the EU Locater form online, so there should be no problem getting into France.
It almost appears that Spain will assume that if you're already in France, you would have had to satisfy their covid requirements before crossing into Spain. Those flying directly into Spain, or from a cruise ship, from the US, or other non EU countries will need to be vetted for Covid before entering.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Please note, this passenger locator form for France appears to be a new requirement. I have friends who flew from United States to Paris Wednesday and filling out the online form was difficult because of functionality. I know someone who flew in march and there was no requirement for this form. Rules do keep changing!!!
Correct, some rules change. It is actually a reason why I posted in this thread. The eupdf Passenger Locator Form has been around since last year, I know it for certain but it may be a new requirement for US travellers to France. A forum member contacted me in private conversation recently and asked about this. The requirement had been communicated to him by United Airlines - see screenshot below; I blurred some data, although it is not necessary as they are not specifically private data.

So UA definitely informs their US passengers for flights to France about the PLF form; and they provide the link to fill in the form. I did not notice any technical difficulty. So, as I've done umpteen times during the past two years - am I allowed to say this about myself 😇 - I filled in an online form to know what I was talking about. It is easy to do, straightforward and you get confirmation and QR code within seconds.

So passengers on flights to France are required to fill in a digital passenger locator form. Whether they do it or not, they are highly unlikely to be controlled upon their arrival in Paris. Such controls are done on arrival airports in Europe only on a random basis and this happens very rarely. What you do is up to you (generic you), the passenger & pilgrim. 😑

Note that United Airlines says that they will not check and that there may be a check after arrival.
French dEUpfl.jpg

Last edited:
The airlines do provide information on requirements for international (and domestic) travel regarding Covid. The three major US airlines - Delta, United & American all list this information under Travel Info. Most of the other carriers are foreign - they also have Covid information (restrictions/requirements) listed on their sites.

Walked into Spain from Portugal. All we needed to flying to Portugal was a negative test. And we have needed to show nothing else anywhere throughout Portugal and Spain.
Thank you dreaminggypsy, it's very kind of you to tell everyone your personal experience, as it is difficult wading through all the covid this/ covid that, shots, certificate, test etc, etc... it CAN be confusing as different countries require different passes. If all seasoned Pellegrino's would just say this is what I experienced, it'd be so much more appreciated by all of us "newbies"... thank you again. R&M here in California~

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are still here snd still walking. We finished the official Camino all the way to Fisterra- the end of the world-two days ago. Yesterday, we flew here to Majorca and will be hiking trails here.

I agree about the difficulty in understanding everything. What I found most helpful was reading the posts from people who were currently on the Camino or who had just finished, as well as, I actually wrote the hosts of homes and/or hotels we were planning on staying in-To ask them what it was currently like in their area. I found their responses the most helpful.

Buen Camino!

Worth keeping in mind that lifting of mask mandates does not eliminate the risk of catching Covid or any other airborne virus, it increases the risk while the virus is still circulating. Still worth carrying masks for extra protection in certain circumstances.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Worth keeping in mind that lifting of mask mandates does not eliminate the risk of catching Covid or any other airborne virus, it increases the risk while the virus is still circulating. Still worth carrying masks for extra protection in certain circumstances.
Unless you are wearing an N-95 mask they will do little to protect you. The data supports cloth or surgical masks somewhat limiting aerosol droplets so it may help to limit the spread to others. Bottom line a mask probably won’t help you but may help others. If you are worried I’d recommend getting a private room. Good luck!

Unless you are wearing an N-95 mask they will do little to protect you. The data supports cloth or surgical masks somewhat limiting aerosol droplets so it may help to limit the spread to others. Bottom line a mask probably won’t help you but may help others. If you are worried I’d recommend getting a private room. Good luck!
It goes without saying that the variant dictates the mask. Start Camino August 20. Have 35 private rooms pre booked.

It goes without saying that the variant dictates the mask. Start Camino August 20. Have 35 private rooms pre booked.
Excellent. I was going to book all my accommodations ahead of time as well (not for Covid reasons). Hope it works out and if you can remember, post on here when you’re complete and let us know if you were able to stick to your plan.

With this very moderate variant hopefully Covid is just a minor nuisance at worst for folks on the Camino. Good luck to you Dennis!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Excellent. I was going to book all my accommodations ahead of time as well (not for Covid reasons). Hope it works out and if you can remember, post on here when you’re complete and let us know if you were able to stick to your plan.

With this very moderate variant hopefully Covid is just a minor nuisance at worst for folks on the Camino. Good luck to you Dennis!
Reasons for private more age, couple and done with dormitory's.Will be posting a blog once a week or so. Just need to find the right thread. Stay tuned and buen camino

"For the umpteenth time" I am sorry to bothered you (you did not have to reply).

I have been reading threads, posts, country websites trying to figure this out without having to ask. I do not want to arrive and be wrong. You read one thing, and the next thing you read appears to be opposite what you just read. I am thankful that each country has own restrictions and policies, but at the same time it is hard to know.

As for the airline, no they did not provide with information when booking ticket...I wish they had.

Trying to respond on phone "J&J" came out "H&M", my apologies...I hate typos too.

I appreciate your post and the time you took to respond.
I find the whole process rather intimidating! Thankyou for your kind reply. Some answers board on bullying!

I finally clicked thru on the Delta website when making an adjustment to my ticket and they have a series of dropdown menus- what's your nationality, where are you coming from, where are you going to- and it will lever down into two sentences what you need to do and bring to travel to that destination. I would assume other airlines have something similar built in to their ticket system. It was much easier than digging thru here or Google.

I noticed that the Spanish government SPTH app that you have to fill in right before you fly listed all the requirements to enter Spain If you dig down a bit. If you haven’t done everything properly you’re never going to get to Europe, because the airline won’t let you on the plane.

I’m on the Camino Frances right now:

In my experience , April 2022, almost nobody’s wearing masks in accommodations or even thinking about it, apparently. Me either, anymore. I put my mask on when I see other people wearing masks to be polite. I’m fully vaccinated, most people here are as well. I worry a little, but I have decided to join the program and move on.

And I’ve noticed the same thing. People will start hunting for masks if they see other people wearing it, out of politeness. But it’s no longer required in Spain.

I was at a church service tonight, and about 60% of the people wore masks in Los Arcos( what a beautiful interior,hmmm?).

Just relating my story, absolutely no opinion, everyone should do and behave as they feel is right for them.

Correct, some rules change. It is actually a reason why I posted in this thread. The eupdf Passenger Locator Form has been around since last year, I know it for certain but it may be a new requirement for US travellers to France. A forum member contacted me in private conversation recently and asked about this. The requirement had been communicated to him by United Airlines - see screenshot below; I blurred some data, although it is not necessary as they are not specifically private data.

So UA definitely informs their US passengers for flights to France about the PLF form; and they provide the link to fill in the form. I did not notice any technical difficulty. So, as I've done umpteen times during the past two years - am I allowed to say this about myself 😇 - I filled in an online form to know what I was talking about. It is easy to do, straightforward and you get confirmation and QR code within seconds.

So passengers on flights to France are required to fill in a digital passenger locator form. Whether they do it or not, they are highly unlikely to be controlled upon their arrival in Paris. Such controls are done on arrival airports in Europe only on a random basis and this happens very rarely. What you do is up to you (generic you), the passenger & pilgrim. 😑

Note that United Airlines says that they will not check and that there may be a check after arrival.
View attachment 123353
Hello … I will be flying in 2 days to Paris from Chicago, trying to fill up the EU Digital Passenger locator form but the boarding airport (O’hare International Airport) i’ll be flying from is not in the list … I don’t know what to do 😢

trying to fill up the EU Digital Passenger locator form but the boarding airport (O’hare International Airport) i’ll be flying from is not in the list … I don’t know what to do 😢
@Lielani: For Boarding Airport, click on or type OTHER.
A new box appears in the next line where you can type the name of the airport.

Buen Camino!

Thank you. This is the information I've been looking for. I am cycling from Porto. Flying from USA into Portugal. I couldn't figure out if I needed to register on some Spain Health site but I'm guessing that is only if I'm flying into Spain, not Portugal. I will get the covid test before departure from Los Angeles and bring my vaccination card too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

View attachment 123318
You know, if it's going to be such a drag for you to inform people about any requirements (for the upteenth time... whatever!) maybe you should just let other fellow pilgrims inform people of their experiences and what the requirements are. To be truthful, requirements are changing all the time, such as entering the US all mandates, tests and requirements have been lifted as of June 12th, so there you go... chill out and lets make this forum a place of encouragement and excitement for those traveling to Spain for the joy of their Camino experience.

You know, if it's going to be such a drag for you to inform people about any requirements (for the upteenth time... whatever!)maybe you should just let other fellow pilgrims inform people of their experiences and what the requirements are.
Do you think we should just leave those fellow pilgrims to post their well-meaning but sometimes incorrect, incomplete or misleading descriptions of those requirements? Should we not challenge and correct them?

Over the years on the forum, we develop a sense of the reliability and accuracy of information from certain members, who have been extremely helpful during the past 2-3 years. It is true that all of us, sometimes, get frustrated and impatient, so perhaps the phrase including "umpteenth time" was a mild expression of that. I was impressed by the use of the word by a non-native speaker of English.

We have an interesting mixture of people on the forum. Some of them are sources of sweetness and light, some offer unfailing encouragement and excitement, some offer a touch of humour - whether black or silly stuff, others offer precise route instructions, and some offer very reliable information on history and government requirements. We need all these types to make the great community. Maybe it is even good to have the occasional cynic or critic! ;)

You know, if @Kathar1na had left us all to our own devices over the past 2 years, we would have been much worse off. We owe her a huge thank you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back