• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID Vaccination certificate for Australians arriving in Spain

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @Jenni999, you are a long-time forum member and this is your first question. Joined in February 2007, wow. You must have read a lot of forum posts since then.

Is this a general question, wondering “just in case” there could be a problem with your certificate? Or are you travelling very soon? Have your familiarised yourself already with the information on the SpTH website or downloaded the SpTH app? Read some of the many forum threads about this?

Or would you just like to hear from fellow Australians who have already arrived in Spain? Australians have only recently been given the opportunity to travel abroad, so maybe it’s still a bit early to hear from Australians that they had no issues, just like Canadians, Americans and South Africans had no issues with their certificates since about May 2021 when Spain started their SpTH system and allowed entry to all vaccinated travellers. Gosh, nearly a year already!

Buen Camino in any case!

Hi @Jenni999, you are a long-time forum member and this is your first question. Joined in February 2007, wow. You must have read a lot of forum posts since then.

Is this a general question, wondering “just in case” there could be a problem with your certificate? Or are you travelling very soon? Have your familiarised yourself already with the information on the SpTH website or downloaded the SpTH app? Read some of the many forum threads about this?

Or would you just like to hear from fellow Australians who have already arrived in Spain? Australians have only recently been given the opportunity to travel abroad, so maybe it’s still a bit early to hear from Australians that they had no issues, just like Canadians, Americans and South Africans had no issues with their certificates since about May 2021 when Spain started their SpTH system.

Buen Camino in any case!
Yes I hiked the Camino a while back which is when I first joined but now excited to be doing a new trip starting 2nd of April from Pamplona to Sarria. All through COVID I just imagined getting back on the Camino again as my ideal first trip!.

Yes I have been to the website, have the app but as this is my first trip in these times, just a bit nervous because Australia is not a signatory to the EU COVID vaccination passport, so would love to hear from any Australians that arrived with an Australian International Vaccination Certificate just to check they did not have any trouble, and if they needed a PCR or RAT test.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,, arrived yesterday in Madrid from Australia,,, no problems getting in withour International Vac Cert,,, but you also need,, as in the previous post,, the SpTH entry forms filled out which then gives you a QR code,, necessary to get through the health check at the airport in Madrid,
And in reply to the last post,, no need for any PCR or Rat test!!
And give yourself plenty of time to get through the checks when arriving in Madrid ,, long queues yesterday!!
But it's so worth it,, the streets last night were full of people (mask wearing optional in the street,, seem to be needed inside and on public transport)
Cafes full!!
Feel so happy to be back!!

Last edited:
Hi,, arrived yesterday in Madrid from Australia,,, no problems getting in withour International Vac Cert,,, but you also need,, as in the previous post,, the SpTH entry forms filled out which then gives you a QR code,, necessary to get through the health check at the airport in Madrid,
Thank you! I have filled out the forms on the app as much as I can, the rest is locked til I 48 hours before I leave. But now I feel much better about it all! Much appreciated.

Thank you for starting this thread Jenni999. Have been hoping someone like Martryduc would be able to reassure us eagerly awaiting pilgrims in Australia that we shouldn’t have any worries about getting into Spain. Good news! Very much appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes - thanks for the info - good news for Kiwis as well
BUT what about arriving by land ? - eg over the Col de Somport (or indeed to Roncesvalles); or along the roads, eg from Perpignan
The website refers just to arrivals by sea and air, so can we assume no form is needed at any of the land borders
I do know there is no Customs Post over the Pyrenees...!
Stephen in NZ

BUT what about arriving by land ? - eg over the Col de Somport (or indeed to Roncesvalles); or along the roads, eg from Perpignan. The website refers just to arrivals by sea and air, so can we assume no form is needed at any of the land borders. I do know there is no Customs Post over the Pyrenees...!
We are moving away from the topic of the thread which is Australians flying from Australia to Spain.

Now we are on the topic of Kiwis moving on land from France into Spain.

To make it short, if you look around long enough on the SpTH website and assuming that you are vaccinated/boostered and have your NZ certificates with you and assuming that nothing changes between today and when you walk across the French-Spanish border or cross it on a train, on a bus or in a car then you will find that you do not have to do anything and are fully complying with requirements. Buen Camino.

And give yourself plenty of time to get through the checks when arriving in Madrid ,, long queues yesterday!!
But it's so worth it,, the streets last night were full of people (mask wearing optional in the street,, seem to be needed inside and on public transport)
Cafes full!!
Feel so happy to be back!!
👍

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It might seem so, but it really doesn't change anything for Kiwis. The reason is that Australia was placed on a risk list by the EC last year, and Australians were banned from entry for non-essential travel. New Zealand wasn't.

The conditions have eased slightly for Australians so that if we can produce acceptable evidence of both vaccination and negative testing, we can enter Spain by air. It appears that the rules are still slightly different for Kiwis, so don't take everything we Aussies have to do to be gospel if you are a Kiwi. It seems to me that if you follow the process on the SpTH site or app, you should be guided down the correct path.

It might seem so, but it really doesn't change anything for Kiwis. The reason is that Australia was placed on a risk list by the EC last year, and Australians were banned from entry for non-essential travel. New Zealand wasn't.

The conditions have eased slightly for Australians so that if we can produce acceptable evidence of both vaccination and negative testing, we can enter Spain by air. It appears that the rules are still slightly different for Kiwis, so don't take everything we Aussies have to do to be gospel if you are a Kiwi. It seems to me that if you follow the process on the SpTH site or app, you should be guided down the correct path.
Hi,, please note,, I did not need to show any test results!! Just Vacc Cert and the SPTH QR code!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,, please note,, I did not need to show any test results!! Just Vacc Cert and the SPTH QR code!!
It IS confusing ☺️. At first I thought, why did he even have to show a vacc cert in Spain if he flew from New Zealand which is on Spain’s and the EU’s white list (and after I had double-checked current Spanish rules). Then I wrote a long explanatory post that I subsequently cut except for the end which says: Seen from the point of view of the health control staff at the Spanish airport - they see a foreign traveller who has proof of vaccination and SpTH code. All good. ¡Bienvenido en España!

Last edited:

Or would you just like to hear from fellow Australians who have already arrived in Spain? Australians have only recently been given the opportunity to travel abroad, so maybe it’s still a bit early to hear from Australians that they had no issues, just like Canadians, Americans and South Africans had no issues with their certificates since about May 2021 when Spain started their SpTH system and allowed entry to all vaccinated travellers. Gosh, nearly a year already!

Buen Camino in any case!
I google sp th and looked in playstore! App that came up were QR codes. Is this what everyone is refering to please.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I may have referred to the requirements for high risk countries, and Australia is no longer on that list, but is still on the risk country list. My apologies if that was inaccurate on that point.

My basic point for Kiwis still stands: you are not on the EC risk list, so what extra things Australians might have to do while they are on that list doesn't apply to you at present. I hope you don't get on that list, but all these things can change quickly.

I just arrived in Munich yesterday before I head to SJPP in a couple if weeks At Munich Airport pharmacy I showed my Australian International vaccination certificate & it cost €10 to get a paper EU & €10 for a plastic credit card-type EU vaccination card. No hassles at all. So much easier than a week ago suggested. As International travel starts to open up, the systems are getting smoother.
Buen Camino all.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The pharmacist kindly printed it off for me. I haven't actually used the paper one, but have shown the plastic one quite a lot. Sometimes they've checked that the name on my money card, or passport, matches the name on the vaccination card. It's easy to keep the card hand & it's more durable than a folded piece of paper. In Germany, most people in the street are not wearing masks, but I was refused entry to a store for not wearing the correct one. Needs to be the FFP2 or KN95. All simple once in the know. 😷

The pharmacist kindly printed it off for me. I haven't actually used the paper one, but have shown the plastic one quite a lot. Sometimes they've checked that the name on my money card, or passport, matches the name on the vaccination card. It's easy to keep the card hand & it's more durable than a folded piece of paper. In Germany, most people in the street are not wearing masks, but I was refused entry to a store for not wearing the correct one. Needs to be the FFP2 or KN95. All simple once in the know. 😷
I meant did you print out your Australian International vaccination certificate? I guess I need to do that for the flights at the airports in Australia and Singapore anyway, probably?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back