• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Vaccination certificate Irun

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Signy33

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all,

I've been on the Camino for a month and tomorrow i plan on crossing the border in Hendaye/Irun. Before they confirmed vaccinated people would be able to cross without a PCR test, i had made an appointement for a test on friday, with results saturday morning.
As i'm vaccinated, i would like to cross the border early on friday. My problem is that i'm not sure my vaccination papers will be sufficient. I've got a scan of my vaccination card (which mentions everything necessary but my country) and a screenshot of the official government website which shows i'm vaccinated. Both are on my phone, i don't have the originals with me.
Belgium hasn't implemented the official documents with QR code yet.
Has anybody crossed without a QR code and what documents did you have ?
Did you print them ?
I they don't let me cross i can always have the PCR test and cross the next day, but it will be more expensive (and painful). I'm afraid to get a fine.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
i can always have the PCR test
I will not give advice about vaccination documentation in your particular case but I want to let you know that those EU Europeans who, unlike you, are not vaccinated need to have proof of a PCR test or similar test OR a rapid antigen test when crossing the land border from France into Spain. This is the new rule for entry into Spain since the 7th of June.

I am not familiar with antigen tests, it must be a properly administered and documented test, so not some self-test. It is cheeper, faster and less unpleasant than a PCR test. The time frame is 48 h or less before arrival in Spain.

Buen camino!

Last edited:
Entry requirements are applicable for travelling to Spain:
  • By air.
  • By land in case that you are coming from risk areas in France.
Two entry requirements are needed: a health certificate and fill out a specific form.

1.Health certificate. Children under 12 year sold who are travelling by air are exempt. Children over 12 years old who are travelling by land are exempt. Three options are allowed:

1.1. Vaccination certificate (at least 14 days from the last dose of vaccination). Accepted vaccines: Pfizer-Biontech, Moderna, Astra-Zeneca, Jansen/Johnson&Johnson, Sinovac y Sinopharm. The vaccination certificate must include at least the following information:

Name and surname of holder.
Date of vaccination, indicating the date of the last dose administered.
Type of vaccine administered.
Number of doses administered / complete regimen.
Issuing country.
Identification of the issuing body of the vaccination certificate.
1.2. Diagnostic certificate. Accepted tests: NAAT (it includes the PCR test) and antigen test. Diagnostic certificates must be issued within the 48 hours prior to the arrival in Spain.

1.3. Recovery certificate (up to 180 days from the date on which the sample was taken).

The certificates must be written in Spanish, English, French or German. In case the certificate is not written in these languages, the certificate must be accompanied by a translation into Spanish authorized or carried out by a Spanish official authority.
If you travel check also the EU Digital COVID Certificate (in force from the 1st July).

2. Form (information here). In all cases, it is mandatory to fill out the Spain Health Control form (FCS). It must be completed and signed it online before your trip to Spain. You may access the form and sign it through the Spain Travel Health portal or through the apps for Android or iOS devices.

Note:All travellers arriving in Spain as their final destination must undergo a health check on arrival at the first entry point.This control will include, at least, the temperature measurement, a documentary control and a visual control on the state of the passenger. If you are in transit check the specific rules.
Important: In the case of international cruises, a specific form is required to replace the SpTH (see form).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Katia Taam, is your quote taken from a Spanish government website?

Edited post to make it short. Up to date information from Spanish government websites: see below. No SPTH form needed for land border crossing from France to Spain.

Last edited:
Let us not complicate things:

@Signy33 is in Hendaye. He is vaccinated. He has documentats, or digital access to it, that proves his vaccination in Belgium. His documents do not correspond to current Spanish law in the strictest sense. Yet they may be accepted should his documents be controlled by Spanish authorities at the border or later elsewhere inland.

If @Signy33 takes a rapid antigen test in France, he will have the correct documents required under current Spanish law.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I saw here, when you put entering Spain from France were I imagine he is coming from...
This is what I read on https://www.spth.gob.es at this moment in time, and I quote:

IN THE CASE OF TRAVEL BY LAND: At the moment there is no obligation to present any form when travelling to Spain by land. Passengers older than 12 years of age coming from risk countries / areas who enter Spain from France by land, do have to be in the possession of a vaccination / diagnostic test / recovery certificate in order to enter Spain.​

Please avoid quoting extensively from non-government websites. The confusion among the global public interested in the requirements for travel to Spain is bad enough as it is.

Last edited:
This is what I read on https://www.spth.gob.es at this moment in time, and I quote:

Please avoid quoting extensively from non-government websites. The confusion among the global public interested in the requirements for travel to Spain is bad enough as it is.
Well I thought this was an official site, I wanted to help not add to confusion.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The long quote in post #3 is from a site that calls itself http://www.infocovidspain.info/en/france/. It even has the same typo: "Children under 12 year sold". It is not an official Spanish government website and it contains errors. It mimics the layout of Reopen EU.

Let's move on. The forum member who asked for advice at the start of this thread is probably already in Spain.

Last edited:
It is not an official Spanish government website and it contains errors. It mimics the layout of Reopen EU.
For the record, this is what the real Reopen EU website says when you enter "France to Spain" into the travel tool:

Mandatory Travel Documentation

Travel by Air: A form must be completed and signed electronically before your arrival in Spain. You can access the form and sign it via the Spain Travel Health website or apps for Android or iOs devices.​
Travel by Sea: The form will be provided during the trip or upon arrival at the port of destination in Spain.​
Travel by Land: At the moment there is no obligation to present this form when travelling to Spain by land (car or train [or bus or on foot]).​
Hence my plea to copy-paste from official government websites only. Reopen EU is run by the official EU administration and the information is fed into this website by the government administrations of the EU countries.

Last edited:
Hence my plea to copy-paste from official government websites only. Reopen EU is run by the official EU administration and the information is fed into this website by the government administrations of the EU countries.
As I said I was only trying to help ok, but I do apologize for all this unpleasant problem I've apparently createted.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is no need to apologise and there is no unpleasant problem. It was a good opportunity to make clear what kind of documents are required and what kind of documents are not required of pilgrims who currently walk from France to Spain and where to find reliable information.

There is no need to apologise and there is no unpleasant problem. It was a good opportunity to make clear what kind of documents are required and what kind of documents are not required of pilgrims who currently walk from France to Spain and where to find reliable information.
I recently crossed from Irun into hendaye on foot and was stopped by french police in the middle of the bridge. I produced my PCR which was out of date by a week and they let me pass. Then I traveled by train to SJPP and proceeded to walk back into Spain. No Spanish police on the Napoleon route, not even a marker where the border is.

Thank you for the feedback, @emmanuel, from someone on the ground. Much appreciated. What you report does not surprise me. There is nothing in the relevant Spanish laws about the required documents that a traveller must have that says that these documents will be controlled at land borders.

How is Covid-19 Track & Tracing going in Spain? If I were in an irregular situation my greatest concern would be that I might get caught up in the review process of a transmission chain when someone gets ill and I was in the vicinity of that person.

I have no personal worries, though. I'm duly vaccinated and will be in possession of my EU Digital Covid vaccination certificate in less than a week from now.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for the feedback, @emmanuel, from someone on the ground. Much appreciated. What you report does not surprise me. There is nothing in the relevant Spanish laws about the required documents that a traveller must have that says that these documents will be controlled at land borders.

How is Covid-19 Track & Tracing going in Spain? If I were in an irregular situation my greatest concern would be that I might get caught up in the review process of a transmission chain when someone gets ill and I was in the vicinity of that person.

I have no personal worries, though. I'm duly vaccinated and will be in possession of my EU Digital Covid vaccination certificate in less than a week from now.
Private albergues (many are closed) are working at 50%. Municipal albergues are closed (a few are open, like Murias de Rechivaldo), church albergues are open, also at 50%. Mask use is de rigueur in cities and haphazard in small towns. Pilgrims in the countryside don't bother. I did not see any contact tracing whatsoever.

I was not controlled at the border. I heard from other pilgrims there are more controls going from Spain to France. On the other hand, I also heard about pilgrims who had been controlled twice in Spain without the required documents (earlier in the months) and who were fined twice.
Tomorrow i'll hopefully be able to download the EU certificate and i'll be completely safe.

Tomorrow i'll hopefully be able to download the EU certificate
Best of luck, @Signy33. Let me know if you need info about links and/or app for download.

Thank you for your feedback and Buen Camino!

PS: The easiest and quickest way is downloading the CovidSafeBE app from an App Store and then use Itsme for the initial identification at startup.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Best of luck, @Signy33. Let me know if you need info about links and/or app for download.

Thank you for your feedback and Buen Camino!

PS: The easiest and quickest way is downloading the CovidSafeBE app from an App Store and then use Itsme for the initial identification at startup.
I had no problem on the ehealth website. I'm used to using it as i receive all official mail from the health ministry on that portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.