• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Vaccinations from India for a EU citizen wishing to walk Camino Portuguese

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainBonnie

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan: 2 week to arrive at Santiago de Campostela in 2 weeks. Start 12th Nov 2017
Hello Peregrinos!

Good Afternoon to all of you.

I was just wanting some advice / possible facts from anyone who is experiencing the following:

1. I am a Swedish National (EU citizen) but was forced to take the Indian AstraZeneca ( COVISHIELD) 2 doses (7 weeks apart) when I was visiting Delhi in March /April 2021 due to the raging Delta Virus.Also at that time there was no news when Sweden would start vaccinating me etc.
Returning to Sweden I face a huge dilemma- only 13 EU countries recognise COVISHIELD, unfortunately Portugal for some reason does not!! ( Thank the Almighty Spain does!) Meaning if I wish to undertake the Camino Portuguese I need to get a PCR test prior dep Sweden ( costs around USD 300:/-) and I understand every Albergue/ Restaurant in Portugal will wish to see me freshly tested prior entering the premises. As Lisbon to Porto and the Spanish border is about a 3 week walk I think I will be seriously inconvenienced and also financially drained. AstraZeneca COVISHIELD from India was supplied to the UK and also Canada. Do UK & Canadian Peregrinos get a COVID Travel pass from their respective countries? Will Portugal accept this ?? Sweden does not wish to give me a Covid Travel Pass ( unbelievable as AstraZeneca is a Swedish cocktail and manufactured in India by the Serum Institute which supplied various vaccines to multitude countries in the past ; being the largest manufacturer in the world); any advice / comments please?! Buen Camino🙏🙏( Capt) Bonnie... packing my mochila but still not ready to lift them on my back due to the above 👆🙏

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Peregrinos!

Good Afternoon to all of you.

I was just wanting some advice / possible facts from anyone who is experiencing the following:

1. I am a Swedish National (EU citizen) but was forced to take the Indian AstraZeneca ( COVISHIELD) 2 doses (7 weeks apart) when I was visiting Delhi in March /April 2021 due to the raging Delta Virus.Also at that time there was no news when Sweden would start vaccinating me etc.
Returning to Sweden I face a huge dilemma- only 13 EU countries recognise COVISHIELD, unfortunately Portugal for some reason does not!! ( Thank the Almighty Spain does!) Meaning if I wish to undertake the Camino Portuguese I need to get a PCR test prior dep Sweden ( costs around USD 300:/-) and I understand every Albergue/ Restaurant in Portugal will wish to see me freshly tested prior entering the premises. As Lisbon to Porto and the Spanish border is about a 3 week walk I think I will be seriously inconvenienced and also financially drained. AstraZeneca COVISHIELD from India was supplied to the UK and also Canada. Do UK & Canadian Peregrinos get a COVID Travel pass from their respective countries? Will Portugal accept this ?? Sweden does not wish to give me a Covid Travel Pass ( unbelievable as AstraZeneca is a Swedish cocktail and manufactured in India by the Serum Institute which supplied various vaccines to multitude countries in the past ; being the largest manufacturer in the world); any advice / comments please?! Buen Camino🙏🙏( Capt) Bonnie... packing my mochila but still not ready to lift them on my back due to the above 👆🙏
Hi Captain Bonnie, we are UK citizens with NHS issued vaccine passports. We travelled today from UK to Porto with an Antigen test (not PCR) taken yesterday and our vaccine passports.

To board the flight we only showed our Antigen test to Easyjet, to pass Portuguese border control we only showed our Antigen test and to finally book in our hotel we were asked only for our vaccine passports.

We went out to a restaurant tonight and weren't asked for passports or tests.

Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have the same questions. I was vaccinated in the Philippines with AZ from an unknown origin--it was impossible to discover the country of manufacture source. Wonder how it will be accepted?

Hi Captain Bonnie, we are UK citizens with NHS issued vaccine passports. We travelled today from UK to Porto with an Antigen test (not PCR) taken yesterday and our vaccine passports.

To board the flight we only showed our Antigen test to Easyjet, to pass Portuguese border control we only showed our Antigen test and to finally book in our hotel we were asked only for our vaccine passports.

We went out to a restaurant tonight and weren't asked for passports or tests.

Hope this helps.
Dear Airfix from Beautiful Wales!
Thank you for your reply and glad to know you are walking (after a smooth entry into Portugal) from Porto to SdeC! Was your vaccine Covishield ( AstraZeneca)? I assume it was!
Very Best... and May the Good Spirit of Peregrinoship be with you .. Siempre!
Capt Vivek ( Bonnie)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Airfix from Beautiful Wales!
Thank you for your reply and glad to know you are walking (after a smooth entry into Portugal) from Porto to SdeC! Was your vaccine Covishield ( AstraZeneca)? I assume it was!
Very Best... and May the Good Spirit of Peregrinoship be with you .. Siempre!
Capt Vivek ( Bonnie)
Hi Captain,
AstraZeneca. Excellent Camino so far, very good experiences with locals and other Pilgrims.
Swam in river Neiva today after a long hot walk, something we haven't done for years.

Last edited:
Hi Captain,
AstraZeneca. Excellent Camino so far, very good experiences with locals and other Pilgrims.
Swam in river Neiva today after a long hot walk, something we haven't done for years.
Wonderful News!
well done.
I was hoping to start from Lisbon on 26 Sep but this ain’t working...
Very Best Wishes.
Captain Vivek ( Bonnie)

I am in the same boat but have no immediate plans to travel. Even so, I am interested to see if there will be work-arounds for covishield.

[Not to mention the certificate in another script, that needs translation and does not have critical identifying information (like my pp# and full legal name. ) 😶 ]

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am in the same boat but have no immediate plans to travel. Even so, I am interested to see if there will be work-arounds for covishield.

[Not to mention the certificate in another script, that needs translation and does not have critical identifying information (like my pp# and full legal name. ) 😶 ]
Mine is in English with a QR code along with my Swedish Passport number; and states COVISHIELD with the dose (AstraZeneca) batch number. The QR code can be verified by scanning your camera AFTER you open the Govt of India link .. and hit Verify Certificate...asking if it can access your camera .. which then allows you to scan the QR code ...and In a few seconds you get a flash on your screen that says VERIFIED.
Let’s hope the bureaucracy in this area diminishes; at least we have taken the shot which means we are to some extent protected.
Keep WalkingVN🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back