• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Vaccine certificate needed for entry to bars and restaurants in Galicia?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances- 2017
Santiago- Finisterre (2018)
I wonder if anyone has had any direct experience of the new requirement in Galicia to show proof of vaccination to enter bars and restaurants? Is this only in certain areas? I am planning a repeat Finisterre Camino at the end of August ( I know things may change drastically by then) and I am fully vaccinated with a certificate in English and Arabic from my country of residence- this I know will get me into Spain but it is it a case that ordinary bar owners will recognise this? If anyone with a non EU certificate, or knowledgeable forum members has any experience of this I would be very grateful. With thanks as always

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have been in Galicia for the last 6 or so days and reach Santiago tomorrow. I have not been asked for anything re tests / vaccinations at hotels / albergues/ bars / restaurants. Not once and not even heard anyone mention it! Have hardly heard anyone mention COVID apart from reduced capacities in albergues and restaurants. And you don’t need proof of vaccination to enter Spain unless I have missed it!

Is this only in certain areas?

Only in 36 municipalities in Galicia right now, was the latest that I read. The names of the municipalities are easy to find on-line. And:

Bares y restaurantes de concellos en nivel alto y máximo sí podrán abrir sus interiores, pero exigiendo a los clientes el carné de vacunación, un documento que acredite haber pasado la enfermedad o una prueba PCR o de antígenos de las 72 horas previas. En exterior no se exigirá esta documentación. Hay 36 ayuntamientos en esta situación.

Bars and restaurants in high and maximum level municipalities will be able to open their interiors, but requiring customers to have the vaccination card, a document that proves they have had the disease or a PCR or antigen test from the previous 72 hours. Outdoors this documentation will not be required. There are 36 municipalities in this situation.

Source: https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...es-ambito-privado/00031626865177710795632.htm

Those are the same 3 criteria as for entering Spain from abroad (from my country) so I guess the same documents are valid for bars & hotels in those municipalities. Of course an antigen-test would have to be renewed repeteadly...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have been in Galicia for the last 6 or so days and reach Santiago tomorrow. I have not been asked for anything re tests / vaccinations at hotels / albergues/ bars / restaurants. Not once and not even heard anyone mention it! Have hardly heard anyone mention COVID apart from reduced capacities in albergues and restaurants. And you don’t need proof of vaccination to enter Spain unless I have missed it!
Here's an article in English about the new requirement in Galicia.
And from the article.
From Thursday July 22th, authorities in the northwestern region of Galicia will expect residents of municipalities with a high or very high infection rate have to show proof that they are immunised against Covid-19 or that they don’t have the virus if they want to go inside their local bars and restaurants.

Thank you all for replying, I’ll continue to watch the news but if anyone has had any first hand experience of showing a non EU vaccination certificate id be grateful to hear your experience. I will check the Spanish article ( once I figure out the translation tool) for the relevant municipalities currently implementing the rule - maybe Santiago- Finisterre is not yet enforcing! But things can change quickly

(July 22) En nivel máximo quedarán a partir del sábado a las doce de la madrugada O Barco, Cambados, A Pobra, Boiro, Sanxenxo, Meaño y O Grove. En nivel alto se sitúan 29 ayuntamientos, cuatro de Ourense (Ourense, Avión, Barbadás y O Carballiño); ocho de A Coruña (Porto do Son, Carballo, Fisterra, Oleiros, Vimianzo, Arzúa, Ribeira y Melide); cinco de Lugo (Burela, Viveiro, Cervo, Foz y Ribadeo); y finalmente doce de la provincia de Pontevedra (A Illa, Vilagarcía, Vilanova de Arousa, Marín, Poio, Pontevedra, Vigo, Baiona, Gondomar, Nigrán, O Rosal y Tomiño).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am fully vaccinated with a certificate in English and Arabic from my country of residence- this I know will get me into Spain but it is it a case that ordinary bar owners will recognise this?
My guess is that practically no business owner will reject a foreign certificate as long as they can find your name and "COVID vaccination" on it. They don't want to be forgery investigators. They mostly want to run their businesses while complying with the rules.

Put it in a plastic folder or something to avoid it getting damaged and looking less impressive. I am sure it will satisfy any bar / restaurant / hotel owner.

I think this is just for the inside of venues? Doesn’t apply to outside?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My guess is that practically no business owner will reject a foreign certificate as long as they can find your name and "COVID vaccination" on it. They don't want to be forgery investigators. They mostly want to run their businesses while complying with the rules.

Put it in a plastic folder or something to avoid it getting damaged and looking less impressive. I am sure it will satisfy any bar / restaurant / hotel owner.
The legislation in Portugal says that it does have to be an EU certificate, but I've just read the Galician legislation, and it's less specific. It just says "un certificado emitido polo servizo público de saúde" (a certificate issued by the public health service). It doesn't say which public health service.

I've heard that it's possible for visitors from non-EU countries to request an EU covid certificate from their destination country, but I don't know what the process is for doing this in Spain.

While business owners don't want to be investigators, they also don't want to be fined for failure to enforce these rules.

While in Portugal the new rules apply nationwide, in Galicia they only apply to concellos (municipalities) in the "high risk" and "maximum risk" categories. Concellos will constantly be moving from one risk group to another, so it's best to consult the list on this website:

The ones in bright red and dark red are where these restrictions apply.

Had breakfast inside in hotel Almendra in Ferrol this morning, didn't have to show anything. If i hear anything further, will post on here.
The area of Ferrol is currently not affected by this rule. People who eat in the restaurants of their hotels are not affected by this rule.

@Wendy Werneth helpfully provided a link to an interactive map where the areas that are currently affected by this rule are marked in bright red and dark red: https://coronavirus.sergas.gal/Contidos/Restriccions-concellos

On the Ingles, I see no area on the bright red or dark red level.

On the Frances: Arzua and Melide are coloured bright red.

On the way to the coast: Fisterra is coloured red.

So it would be interesting to hear from people who are currently walking in these areas. Or in the other areas that are marked bright red or dark red in this map of Galicia. The map dates from the 24th, so the rule is very new.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That is a helpful link Kathar1na/Wendy . I was in Sanxenxo for the previous week on hols and this is considered a dark red area on this map. I was inside in a bar there on Saturday evening, there was no checking of covid pass nor did they really enforce the limit of only 6 people inside.

That is a helpful link Kathar1na/Wendy . I was in Sanxenxo for the previous week on hols and this is considered a dark red area on this map. I was inside in a bar there on Saturday evening, there was no checking of covid pass nor did they really enforce the limit of only 6 people inside.
The regulation is very new. It was first announced in the newspapers last Wednesday, 21 July. I'm not sure when it first came into force.

The area of Ferrol is currently not affected by this rule. People who eat in the restaurants of their hotels are not affected by this rule.

@Wendy Werneth helpfully provided a link to an interactive map where the areas that are currently affected by this rule are marked in bright red and dark red: https://coronavirus.sergas.gal/Contidos/Restriccions-concellos

On the way to the coast: Fisterra is coloured red.

So it would be interesting to hear from people who are currently walking in these areas. Or in the other areas that are marked bright red or dark red in this map of Galicia. The map dates from the 24th, so the rule is very new.
Was in Arzua evening 25th and morning 26th. Didn’t notice any restrictions.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You surely need either proof of double vaccination or a negative test. Fairly sure you can’t just waltz in from wherever with nothing.

You surely need either proof of double vaccination or a negative test. Fairly sure you can’t just waltz in from wherever with nothing.
It would be best if the discussion in this thread deals with the documentation that is needed to enter bars and restaurants in Galicia, if any, and leave the discussion about the documentation that is needed to enter Spain to other threads of which there are plenty.

But to settle this, @Chef66 is right: between more or less the 21st of May and the 24th of June, travellers from the UK, and @Chef66 may belong to this category, did not need ANY documentation to enter Spain, whether vaccinated or not. This has now changed for travellers from the UK. Or maybe he travelled from Portugal to Spain by land with a similar exemption. But this rule still applies to travellers from other countries such as the USA, Canada or Israel to name a few: if they travel directly from their home country to Spain right now, they can just waltz into Spain with nothing, as you so aptly put it.

Now back to Galicia.

Last edited:
Does this apply for accommodation's purpose too in hotel and albergue ?
Example, in hotel with accommodation+restaurant: is the certificate needed for both accommodation and to lunch inside ? Or only the latter ?
Is a simple antigen test from pharmacy sufficient or is one from a laboratory needed (as for foreign travel) ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am interested to hear from anyone on the ground in Galicia - for me my vaccine certificate is in English and Arabic- although I am an EU passport holder - I am believing that things will all be well but wondering what is happening on the path, like others are of course

You surely need either proof of double vaccination or a negative test. Fairly sure you can’t just waltz in from wherever with
I am interested to hear from anyone on the ground in Galicia - for me my vaccine certificate is in English and Arabic- although I am an EU passport holder - I am believing that things will all be well but wondering what is happening on the path, like others are of course
I am here in Galicia right now (in a bar) and have been for a week (Galicia not the bar!)! The issue applies to a small numbers of establishments in a number of high risk areas. Indoors only. I was not aware of it until I read about it on here and neither was anyone else I have spoken too. On the ground it’s a non Issue but of course that could change!

Does this apply for accommodation's purpose too in hotel and albergue ?
The thread title and the first post was misleading as it included hotels. In the meantime, it has been edited to make it clear that only bars and restaurants are concerned by the new rule. And it concerns only small areas, not the whole of Galicia. And the areas concerned can change for better or worse on short notice.

Edited to take subsequent changes into account.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Correct. Not been asked for anything at all anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sorry - I posted the first post, only because I wasn’t sure of the new regulations in Galicia and without an EU pass. Please delete if you think it is misleading

The thread title and the first post are misleading. In Galicia, the new rule doesn't concern hotels and accommodation. And it concerns only small areas, not the whole of Galicia. And the areas concerned can change for better or worse on short notice.
Hmm, really? The description of the restrictions on the Galician public health system webiste says "ESTABLECEMENTOS DE HOSTALARÍA E RESTAURACIÓN". The word "hostalaría" generally refers to accommodation as well as food. The Portuguese press has certainly interpreted it to include hotels.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It would be best if the discussion in this thread deals with the documentation that is needed to enter bars and restaurants in Galicia, if any, and leave the discussion about the documentation that is needed to enter Spain to other threads of which there are plenty.

But to settle this, @Chef66 is right: between more or less the 21st of May and the 24th of June, travellers from the UK, and @Chef66 may belong to this category, did not need ANY documentation to enter Spain, whether vaccinated or not. This has now changed for travellers from the UK. Or maybe he travelled from Portugal to Spain by land with a similar exemption. But this rule still applies to travellers from other countries such as the USA, Canada or Israel to name a few: if they travel directly from their home country to Spain right now, they can just waltz into Spain with nothing, as you so aptly put it.

Now back to Galicia.
I rarely comment preferring to enjoy the knowledge passed on by many. However on the only two times I have commented I have been jumped on by you. Are you admin or a moderator? You have made me feel totally unwelcome so thanks to you I will enjoy this forum no longer. Buen camino.

I think those are the official links:

In all three there is a "ESTABLECEMENTOS DE HOSTALARÍA E RESTAURACIÓN" and a "HOTEIS, ALOXAMENTOS TURÍSTICOS E CAMPAMENTOS XUVENÍS" paragraph.

For ESTABLECEMENTOS DE HOSTALARÍA E RESTAURACIÓN, in the Maxima and Alta level, we can find the :
"Para o acceso requiriráselles ás persoas maiores de 12 anos a presentación dun certificado."

But nothing about a "certificato" in the HOTEIS, ALOXAMENTOS TURÍSTICOS E CAMPAMENTOS XUVENÍS paragraph, even in Maxima level:
"
  • Zonas comúns dos hoteis, albergues e aloxamentos turísticos: 50% da súa capacidade.
  • Albergues turísticos: 30% da súa capacidade agás grupos ou unidade familiar.
  • Campamentos xuvenís: 70% da súa capacidade e en tendas de campaña 50% da súa capacidade."

So I guess it is really only for food service only. No ?

I rarely comment preferring to enjoy the knowledge passed on by many. However on the only two times I have commented I have been jumped on by you. Are you admin or a moderator? You have made me feel totally unwelcome so thanks to you I will enjoy this forum no longer. Buen camino.
I for one greatly appreciate @Kathar1na's well researched posts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So I guess it is really only for food service only. No ?
Correct - food and drink inside the premises. The order is published here: https://www.xunta.gal/dog/Publicados/excepcional/2021/20210722/2706/AnuncioC3K1-220721-7_gl.pdf . I don't know Galician so I have to go by what Google Translate suggests for section 3.22 Hostalaría e restauración:

3.22. Hospitality and catering.​
1. The provision of hospitality and catering services in bars, cafeterias and restaurants shall comply with the following rules, based on the epidemiological data existing in the corresponding municipalities:​
[...]​
For consumption inside the premises, persons over the age of 12 will be required to present a certificate issued by the public health service or, in the case of number 2º, by an authorized official laboratory, accrediting the occurrence of any of the following circumstances [followed by points 1º, 2º and 3º - proof of vaccination, proof of test, proof of illness]​

Gosh, it took me a while to find this in the Official Gazetter of Galicia. I didn't see at first that the edition #139 has a supplement #139bis where the order was published. I can see nothing about hotels (hoteis) but as I said, my Galician is non-existent and while I can guess a lot, it is very tiring to try and skim through this text.

Last edited:
I do hope you will continue to enjoy the forum and please don't allow yourself to feel intimidated by others who might feel the need to contradict and question. Don't take it personally, your contributions are as valid as anyone's..

Last edited:
Just noticed this about the entering into force of the order [Google translated]:
  1. The measures provided for in this order shall take effect from 00:00 h on the 24th of July.
  2. In the case of celebrations and events in catering establishments for the 24th and 25th of July that had already been arranged before the 23rd of July, the restrictions [...] will not be applicable [...]
Maybe this allowed for less restricted partying on the Saturday before St James' feast day?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Correct - food and drink inside the premises. The order is published here: https://www.xunta.gal/dog/Publicados/excepcional/2021/20210722/2706/AnuncioC3K1-220721-7_gl.pdf . I don't know Galician so I have to go by what Google Translate suggests for section 3.22 Hostalaría e restauración:

3.22. Hospitality and catering.​
1. The provision of hospitality and catering services in bars, cafeterias and restaurants shall comply with the following rules,​
I do speak Galician, and in the end I think you are correct. The word "hostalaría" is as ambiguous as the English word "hospitality" in the Google translation. In both languages, I would normally expect that to include accommodation. But since it says hospitality services in bars, cafeterias and restaurants, it seems they are just talking about food and drink in this case.

She’s usually very knowledgeable, but it’s wrong to make anyone feel unwelcome. I do believe many miscommunications are due to this being online (loses something when not in person) and that many speak English as a second language so sometimes how things are said or received get off from the real intent.

please consider staying. And keep joining in the conversation

Last edited:
I’m sorry - I posted the first post, only because I wasn’t sure of the new regulations in Galicia and without an EU pass. Please delete if you think it is misleading
No need to delete or apologise, I think it is a very useful thread and gave us an opportunity to clarify the situation about new requirements for entering bars and restaurants in those towns of Galicia that are on specific epidemiological levels. It's just that readers sometimes only read the title of a thread or the first post and ignore the rest and sometimes even take as fact what is only posted as a question, as in this case, and then contribute to more confusion when posting themselves. You could, if you wanted, edit both the title and your first post and replace "hotels" by "restaurants" but that is entirely up to you.

Buen Camino for your trip at the end of August and I hope that the situation in Fisterra has improved by then because it is currently one of the municipalities affected by the new rule.

Last edited:
No need to delete or apologise, I think it is a very useful thread and gave us an opportunity to clarify the situation about new requirements for entering bars and restaurants in those towns of Galicia that are on specific epidemiological levels. It's just that readers sometimes only read the title of a thread or the first post and ignore the rest and sometimes even take as fact what is only posted as a question, as in this case, and then contribute to more confusion when posting themselves. You could, if you wanted, edited both the title and your first post and replace "hotel" by "restaurants" but that is entirely up to you.

Buen Camino for your trip at the end of August and I hope that the situation in Fisterra has improved by then because it is currently one of the municipalities affected by the new rule.
Thank you @Kathar1na

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have edited my original post to include only bars and restaurants. I’m sure a lot will change over the next month and things may become clearer for those of us coming from outside the EU ( or more opaque!)
Thanks! I've now also edited one of my posts to take this change into account. I just like it when information provided in the threads is as accurate as possible. ☺️

BTW, I think you don't need to worry, I'm confident that you will be ok with your vaccination certificate. It is obvious that EU countries have now started to make use of the EU DCC for domestic purposes, something that wasn't foreseen originally, and they are badly prepared as to what to do with foreign visitors who don't have an EU DCC. It seems that foreign vaccination certificates are often accepted by hotel, bar and restaurant owners where required, and there is no digital verification, just a visual check if at all.

Last edited:
is a simple antigen test from pharmacy sufficient or is one from a laboratory needed (as for foreign travel) ?
Good question! Looking at the legal text published by the regional government of Galicia, I was surprised to read in point 3.22. Hostelería y restauración that rapid antigen tests can be used but apparently they have to be done por un laboratorio oficial autorizado, i.e. by an authorised lab or pharmacy. There's also a news item today in La Voz de Galicia, saying that pharmacists have signed an agreement with the regional government of Galicia and that the pharmacists will start issuing certificates for those who test negative on Thursday, i.e. tomorrow.

So this sounds as if the self-tests are not included. Mind you, the current incidence rates for the towns affected by this new rule are pretty high. I cannot imagine that this will last for long, and that the figures will go down soon. However, the obligation to test or show that you are vaccinated may remain for a while and become even more general.

PS: The Spanish language version of the Order of 22 July 2021 is here.

Thank you all for replying, I’ll continue to watch the news but if anyone has had any first hand experience of showing a non EU vaccination certificate id be grateful to hear your experience. I will check the Spanish article ( once I figure out the translation tool) for the relevant municipalities currently implementing the rule - maybe Santiago- Finisterre is not yet enforcing! But things can change quickly
We flew in to Madrid today. Very well organised. We had filles in the Spanish passenger locatorthey form, this requires evidence if vaccination certificate.our uk, non eu certificate was fine. We were met by police off the plane to check we had certificates and again after passport control. They scan the qr code on the certificate and you get an immediate email to confirm. All very efficient. Just about to get on the train to Leon to pick up our camino which we couldn't finish last year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We flew in to Madrid today. Very well organised. We had filles in the Spanish passenger locatorthey form, this requires evidence if vaccination certificate.our uk, non eu certificate was fine. We were met by police off the plane to check we had certificates and again after passport control. They scan the qr code on the certificate and you get an immediate email to confirm. All very efficient. Just about to get on the train to Leon to pick up our camino which we couldn't finish last year.
Thank you. Do let us know how you get on if you need to show it in bars and restaurants. I’d forgotten about the pre registration. Spanish online form - maybe that will also be accepted in bars in the more strict areas? I will be travelling with a sinopharm vaccine certificate - which Spain is one of the few countries to recognise ( I don’t want to derail conversation to vaccine efficacy etc and I’ll be having a booster shot before I travel) but having the official Spanish online approval to enter might also be helpful to show

You came in from airport and with which passport?

On the way to the coast: Fisterra is coloured bright red.
Apparently, there will be a few more areas that are coloured bright red and dark red as of this Saturday 31 July 2021 and where I suppose the new rule about bars and restaurants will apply.

Galicia as of 31 July 2021.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Apparently, there will be a few more areas that are coloured bright red and dark red as of this Saturday 31 July 2021 and where I suppose the new rule about bars and restaurants will apply.

View attachment 105798

Interesting - I can see/read about 3 concellos on the Camino de Invierno affected by this: Chantada, Monforte, O Barco. Would be interesting to hear from someone out there now.

Last edited:
Interesting - I can see/read about 3 concellos on the Camino de Invierno affected by this: Chantada, Monforte, O Barco. Would be interesting to hear from someone out there now.
From todays newspaper,

Live: Six councils are added to the maximum level and the seven cities are already at the high level​

E. ÁLVAREZ / M. OTERO

SOCIETY

The Regional Minister of Health explains the restrictions agreed at the last meeting​

Jul 28, 2021. Updated at 1:30 p.m.
Comment · 13
The Minister of Health, Julio García Comesaña announced that a telephone will be enabled to notify the positives that are discovered when doing the antigen tests available in pharmacies. He also warned that in the Galician ucis there are patients between 29 and 40 years old, and he asks for special caution from the youngest, where most of the covid-19 infections are also concentrated. It also ensures that not even half of those summoned attend the screenings and reiterates the citizen collaboration. From today, the seven Galician cities are at the top level together with the councils of A Pobra, Ames, As Pontes, Arteixo, Cambre, Cariño, Ortigueira, Chantada, Monforte, Verín, Bueu, A Guarda, Meis, Moaña, Mos , Pontecaldelas, O Porriño, Redondela, Ribadumia and Soutomaior.
At the maximum level there are twelve localities, which are Muros, Baiona, Burela, Foz, Viveiro, Monterroso, Boiro, O Barco, Cambados, Meaño, O Grove and Sanxenxo. Despite the measures "a situation is bad," he explained.
13:29

Review of the councils by levels
Maximum level: Baiona, Boiro, Burela, Cambados, Foz, Meaño, Monterroso, Muros, O Barco de Valdeorras, O Grove, Sanxenxo and Viveiro
High level: A Coruña, A Guarda, A Illa de Arousa, A Pobra do Caramiñal, Ames, Arteixo, Arzúa, As Pontes de García Rodríguez, Avión, Barbadás, Bueu, Cambre, Carballo, Cariño, Cervo, Chantada, Culleredo, Ferrol , Fisterra, Gondomar, Lugo, Marín, Meis, Melide, Moaña, Monforte de Lemos, Mos, Nigrán, O Carballiño, O Porriño, O Rosal, Oleiros, Ortigueira, Ourense, Poio, Ponte Caldelas, Pontevedra, Redondela, Ribadeo, Ribadumia , Ribeira, Santiago de Compostela, Soutomaior, Tomiño, Verín, Vigo, Vilagarcía de Arousa and Vilanova de Arousa
Medium level : A Cañiza, A Capela, A Lama, A Pobra de Trives, A Rúa, Arbo, As Neves, Barreiros, Barro, Beariz, Bergondo, Boborás, Brión, Caldas de Reis, Cangas, Carnota, Cedeira, Cee, Celanova , Coles, Corcubión, Coristanco, Curtis, Maceda, Mondoñedo, Monterrei, Narón, Noia, O Pereiro de Aguiar, O Valadouro, Oroso, Outes, Padrón, Ponteareas, Pontecesures, Pontedeume, Rábade, Rianxo, Ribadavia, Riós, Sada, San Cibrao das Viñas, Sarria, Silleda, Teo, Toques, Tui, Valdoviño, Vilaboa, Vilalba, Vilamartín de Valdeorras and Vimianzo

From todays newspaper,

Live: Six councils are added to the maximum level and the seven cities are already at the high level​

E. ÁLVAREZ / M. OTERO

SOCIETY

The Regional Minister of Health explains the restrictions agreed at the last meeting​

Jul 28, 2021. Updated at 1:30 p.m.
Comment · 13
The Minister of Health, Julio García Comesaña announced that a telephone will be enabled to notify the positives that are discovered when doing the antigen tests available in pharmacies. He also warned that in the Galician ucis there are patients between 29 and 40 years old, and he asks for special caution from the youngest, where most of the covid-19 infections are also concentrated. It also ensures that not even half of those summoned attend the screenings and reiterates the citizen collaboration. From today, the seven Galician cities are at the top level together with the councils of A Pobra, Ames, As Pontes, Arteixo, Cambre, Cariño, Ortigueira, Chantada, Monforte, Verín, Bueu, A Guarda, Meis, Moaña, Mos , Pontecaldelas, O Porriño, Redondela, Ribadumia and Soutomaior.
At the maximum level there are twelve localities, which are Muros, Baiona, Burela, Foz, Viveiro, Monterroso, Boiro, O Barco, Cambados, Meaño, O Grove and Sanxenxo. Despite the measures "a situation is bad," he explained.
13:29

Review of the councils by levels
Maximum level: Baiona, Boiro, Burela, Cambados, Foz, Meaño, Monterroso, Muros, O Barco de Valdeorras, O Grove, Sanxenxo and Viveiro
High level: A Coruña, A Guarda, A Illa de Arousa, A Pobra do Caramiñal, Ames, Arteixo, Arzúa, As Pontes de García Rodríguez, Avión, Barbadás, Bueu, Cambre, Carballo, Cariño, Cervo, Chantada, Culleredo, Ferrol , Fisterra, Gondomar, Lugo, Marín, Meis, Melide, Moaña, Monforte de Lemos, Mos, Nigrán, O Carballiño, O Porriño, O Rosal, Oleiros, Ortigueira, Ourense, Poio, Ponte Caldelas, Pontevedra, Redondela, Ribadeo, Ribadumia , Ribeira, Santiago de Compostela, Soutomaior, Tomiño, Verín, Vigo, Vilagarcía de Arousa and Vilanova de Arousa
Medium level : A Cañiza, A Capela, A Lama, A Pobra de Trives, A Rúa, Arbo, As Neves, Barreiros, Barro, Beariz, Bergondo, Boborás, Brión, Caldas de Reis, Cangas, Carnota, Cedeira, Cee, Celanova , Coles, Corcubión, Coristanco, Curtis, Maceda, Mondoñedo, Monterrei, Narón, Noia, O Pereiro de Aguiar, O Valadouro, Oroso, Outes, Padrón, Ponteareas, Pontecesures, Pontedeume, Rábade, Rianxo, Ribadavia, Riós, Sada, San Cibrao das Viñas, Sarria, Silleda, Teo, Toques, Tui, Valdoviño, Vilaboa, Vilalba, Vilamartín de Valdeorras and Vimianzo
N.B: there is no need to show a PCR to enter bars & restaurants at medium level.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do these restrictions affect albergues too, or is it just bars and restaurants?

I am starting the Camino Monday and due to limitations I have only been able to get the first jab so the Galician leg could be difficult.

If anybody knows if it is also possible to get the second jab in Spain that would also be super helpful.

Thanks,

Not required in albergues / hostels in Galicia currently!

j don’t believe non Spanish residents can get the vaccine in Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
UPDATE! The Supreme Court of Galicia has declared invalid the governmental decree requiring a certificate or proof of negative test to enter bars and restaurants. This is due to a procedural error, as the government failed to submit the order to the court for review.

The government has said that it will make the formal request for authorization today, so we'll see what happens next. But for now, the order cannot be enforced.

Here are a couple of articles on the subject from the local press:

I am starting the Camino Monday and due to limitations I have only been able to get the first jab so the Galician leg could be difficult. If anybody knows if it is also possible to get the second jab in Spain that would also be super helpful.
Hi @AidanLing, as you are already in Spain and started the Camino Frances in SJPP two weeks ago, you may know more about this by now than we in the global online forum community know. You must be in Castilla y Leon by now and then onto Galicia.

The Spanish vaccination program is organised by region. Andalusia vaccinates tourists who do not permanently live in Andalusia, and that includes both tourists from other regions in Spain and tourists from other countries, provided that they had their first jab already, as you had, and have been on holiday in Andalusia for more than a month. Navarra has a program for persons who are not registered with the Spanish health system but it is aimed at their migrant population, not at tourists.

Castilla y Leon and Galicia do not have such programs. As you know, everything is in flux and the mandatory show of proof of vaccination or recent negative test for access to restaurants in some Galician towns with an incidence rate above a certain high level has been suspended by the Galician High Court for now. The Galician government has said in June that they are in favour of vaccinating foreign tourists but not yet right now as the vaccination of the Galician population has still priority. It's also a question of money ... there is an ongoing debate about who pays for these vaccine doses for foreigners, the regional government or the national Spanish government?

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wonder if anyone has had any direct experience of the new requirement in Galicia to show proof of vaccination to enter bars and restaurants? Is this only in certain areas? I am planning a repeat Finisterre Camino at the end of August ( I know things may change drastically by then) and I am fully vaccinated with a certificate in English and Arabic from my country of residence- this I know will get me into Spain but it is it a case that ordinary bar owners will recognise this? If anyone with a non EU certificate, or knowledgeable forum members has any experience of this I would be very grateful. With thanks as always
All I know is that the French QR code is needed in france to go anywhere. I had my Canadian vaccination papers transferred over to the French QR code at a pharmacie for 20€. Not all pharmacies do it though. I had double Pfizer.

Please note post #49 by @Wendy Werneth just a few posts above this one. The requirement to to show proof of vaccination to enter bars and restaurants in Galicia has been cancelled.

This topic is out of date.

I suggest that the moderators close this thread so that replies are no longer possible.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back