• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Getting a COVID-19 Vaccine Pass in Lyons for Le Puys Walk

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanman

Walking for Nature
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy, Francis, Portugal, Norte, West Highland W,
Hi all,

Planning to walk Le Puys this spring (late April - May 2022) and been trying to follow the ever evolving Covid Rules.

I have been researching this, coming from Canada we need to be double vax'ed and have had the booster (NP) and a negative PCR test within 48 hours. And we need a Vaccine Pass.

I understand one can get the Vaccine Pass at a local pharmacy in France (approx 36 euros).

We're headed to Lyon and I guess we will look for a pharmacy once there but would sure like to know the name of one or two pharmacies before we go...so if anyone gets there before us or knows some places please post on this thread.

Thx to my Camino friends & as Neil Young sang "Walk On"

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bonjour.

There is a search facility on this site to find a pharmacy to obtain the pass. I’d imagine there will be many in Lyon

We are also walking in France in April - Chemin du Piemont.

Love the Le Puy Way. Enjoy. 🥰
Thx Anamcara - Buen Chemin and thx!

Also, I find this official site the most useful for information for France. Maybe you are already using it.

Bon chemin
yes been surfing it..kinda confusing. But i have netted out that i need a Vaccine Passport in Lyons and i should be good...assuming i can catch a train from the airport to my hotel first!

yes been surfing it..kinda confusing. But i have netted out that i need a Vaccine Passport in Lyons and i should be good...assuming i can catch a train from the airport to my hotel first!
I feel pretty confident navigating the site. So happy to help if you want to PM me with anything in particular.

I think our situations are v similar - ie Canada and Australia. Both ‘orange’ category countries now under the French colour system. The rules for us as vaccinated people going to France haven’t changed in any significant way since we’ve been monitoring over past few months.

We have to be fully vaccinated in any case to travel out of Australia (irrespective of destination and with very few exceptions) and we must have negative PCR test within 48 hours before boarding our flight out of Sydney - so our outbound requirements are in line with inbound for France. And we just need to get the vaccine pass on or before arrival.

Not long to go now. 🤞

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Agreed.
From what I have read though there will be a new update mid Feb...
Anyway I think i just need a pharmacy in Lyon to get my VP, then get on the train to Le Puys
When are you planning to start ?

Also, while we have all manner of digital certificates (vaccination/QR code, immunisation history, international covid certificate/QR code) on our phones, we will take multiple printed copies of each. My sense is that pharmacies at airports and rail stations of international destination cities in France are v likely to be on the list of those that can issue the vaccine pass. We will likely get ours on arrival at Paris airport.

Also, while we have all manner of digital certificates (vaccination/QR code, immunisation history, international covid certificate/QR code) on our phones, we will take multiple printed copies of each. My sense is that pharmacies at airports and rail stations of international destination cities in France are v likely to be on the list of those that can issue the vaccine pass. We will likely get ours on arrival at Paris airport.
I agree sometimes you need to go old school - paper!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Agreed.
From what I have read though there will be a new update mid Feb...
Anyway I think i just need a pharmacy in Lyon to get my VP, then get on the train to Le Puys
When are you planning to start ?
Oops our posts crossed. Planning a 1 April start from either Narbonne or Carcassone. Looks like you have walked Le Puy before? So fabulous.

No, not yet...Covid cancelled us. We were going to start in Cluny but now "just Le Puys". Done a few Caminos and other walks but looking forward to this one big time.
Our planned start date is April 28...just checking flights etc
Have a safe and fabulous walk!

No, not yet...Covid cancelled us. We were going to start in Cluny but now "just Le Puys". Done a few Caminos and other walks but looking forward to this one big time.
Our planned start date is April 28...just checking flights etc
Have a safe and fabulous walk!
Merci. Et vous aussi. It’s a wonderful path. 👍

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Also, I find this official site the most useful for information for France. Maybe you are already using it.

Bon chemin
I hope that Portugal starts issuing vaccine passes to Americans, Canadians Australians, etc too!

I hope that Portugal starts issuing vaccine passes to Americans, Canadians Australians, etc too!
Oh, hope so @trecile As we are heading to France an Spain, I haven't been following situation in Portugal. Hope so too!

There is a pharmacy at Terminal 1 at the airport in Lyon and here is the airport's Covid page, if that's of interest-- https://www.lyonaeroports.com/actualites/actualite-covid-19

As a PS an hour or so later after my post. My experience with French pharmacists is very positive-- they often speak English and, at an airport, I think that they almost certainly will, so one could easily check the availability of the procedure wiht a telephone call. If they don't, they will be able to refer you to a pharmacist in Lyons who will. An Australian I walked with in France deemed them to be vvery dishy, and this might be of some interest to pilgrims.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think that we need to bear in mind that, at least for now, it is far from certain that every pharmacy in France can and will convert a non-EU vaccination card into a French EU compatible vaccination pass / QR code. The pharmacies need to be connected to the corresponding national IT system, need to have the necessary IT infrastructure themselves, and need to have minimal training to know what to enter.

@anamcara provided a link to a list published on French government websites that show pharmacies an France providing this service. There appear to be plenty of such pharmacies in Lyon and also in Paris.

However, the list in incomplete. It does not show any such pharmacy in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port although forum members have emailed and received confirmation from one of the SJPP pharmacies. This service costs €36.

The list also does not show any pharmacies in the CDG airport offering such a service. It is hard to believe that none of them do. So it would be interesting to get feedback from recent travellers.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all,

Planning to walk Le Puys this spring (late April - May 2022) and been trying to follow the ever evolving Covid Rules.

I have been researching this, coming from Canada we need to be double vax'ed and have had the booster (NP) and a negative PCR test within 48 hours. And we need a Vaccine Pass.

I understand one can get the Vaccine Pass at a local pharmacy in France (approx 36 euros).

We're headed to Lyon and I guess we will look for a pharmacy once there but would sure like to know the name of one or two pharmacies before we go...so if anyone gets there before us or knows some places please post on this thread.

There are loads of pharmacies in Lyon, it is a major city. The Covid situation is very fluid so I would wait until late March or early April things can and will change. It could be all clear no tests or passports or there could be a new variant by then or somewhere in between. We will hopefully be in France from the UK in mid-May but not made too many plans so far.

Does anybody know how long the process takes? Does the Pharmacy submit the request, and then there is a wait time until a valid EU Covid Vaccination Digital Certificate is emailed or shows up in their App? Or do you walk out of the Pharmacy wtih it?

Hi all,

Bon chemin, Sandy 👣👣👣

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Does anybody know how long the process takes? Does the Pharmacy submit the request, and then there is a wait time until a valid EU Covid Vaccination Digital Certificate is emailed or shows up in their App? Or do you walk out of the Pharmacy wtih it?
I vaguely remember that there may be one single forum member who had reported that he actually had his US vaccination card converted to the French/EU format in a pharmacy in France. It does not take long. The time it takes to type on a keybord and to press the right buttons.

Don‘t worry about it. And aren’t you going to Portugal and not to France? Not every EU country offers this easy conversion service to people who have been vaccinated abroad when they are not enrolled in their national health service or not registered as living in the country.

Last edited:
Not every EU country offers this easy conversion service to people who have been vaccinated abroad
There are no plans to introduce such a conversion service throughout the EU. There is the option for non-EU countries to apply for recognition of their digital cards as equivalent to the EU system. The UK and New Zealand did it.

Having vaccination proof in EU compatible digital format is not a legal requirement. It is just super super convenient to have whenever and wherever you are required to show proof of vaccination. You whip out your mobile phone, they hold theirs over it, they see OK or a green light on their screen, you put your mobile away again. No trying to decipher what is hand-written on a card and trying to work out whether it complies with current requirements about validity.

Last edited:
I think that we need to bear in mind that, at least for now, it is far from certain that every pharmacy in France can and will convert a non-EU vaccination card into a French EU compatible vaccination pass / QR code. The pharmacies need to be connected to the corresponding national IT system, need to have the necessary IT infrastructure themselves, and need to have minimal training to know what to enter.

@anamcara provided a link to a list published on French government websites that show pharmacies an France providing this service. There appear to be plenty of such pharmacies in Lyon and also in Paris.

However, the list in incomplete. It does not show any such pharmacy in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port although forum members have emailed and received confirmation from one of the SJPP pharmacies. This service costs €36.

The list also does not show any pharmacies in the CDG airport offering such a service. It is hard to believe that none of them do. So it would be interesting to get feedback from recent travellers.
I have been following this thread for some weeks, with a vague hope of traveling from Adelaide to France and a Chemin, later in 2022, BUT... an email received overnight has galvanized my efforts: I am invited to attend a beloved friend's 100th birthday celebration in Toulon on April 30, and mes Amis, COVID be damned, I am going!! With that decision made, I've been on my laptop all morning, researching the process for exiting Oz and obtaining the pass vaccinal. As pointed out above, the French government site does indeed list pharmacies providing 'conversion de certificats de vaccination étrangers...' - (not all pharmacies in France provide this service as I noted when searching pharmacies near my destination). You can filter your search on Sante.fr/recherche/trouver/health/%20pass by entering a location in the window 'Précisez un lieu.' (It helps if you know the postal code, to narrow it down, eg I was searching for pharmacies in Nice, near the airport or near the Gare, discovered only 3 pharmacies listed in those locations).
But, I am still confused about the time-frame required to complete this process and whether I still need to download the app TousAntiCovid to my phone.
And whether I still need to have a negative PCR test or RAT(rapid) test before departure from Australia?
And, need to find flights....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have been following this thread for some weeks, with a vague hope of traveling from Adelaide to France and a Chemin, later in 2022, BUT... an email received overnight has galvanized my efforts: I am invited to attend a beloved friend's 100th birthday celebration in Toulon on April 30, and mes Amis, COVID be damned, I am going!! With that decision made, I've been on my laptop all morning, researching the process for exiting Oz and obtaining the pass vaccinal. As pointed out above, the French government site does indeed list pharmacies providing 'conversion de certificats de vaccination étrangers...' - (not all pharmacies in France provide this service as I noted when searching pharmacies near my destination). You can filter your search on Sante.fr/recherche/trouver/health/%20pass by entering a location in the window 'Précisez un lieu.' (It helps if you know the postal code, to narrow it down, eg I was searching for pharmacies in Nice, near the airport or near the Gare, discovered only 3 pharmacies listed in those locations).
But, I am still confused about the time-frame required to complete this process and whether I still need to download the app TousAntiCovid to my phone.
And whether I still need to have a negative PCR test or RAT(rapid) test before departure from Australia?
And, need to find flights....
Hi Anna

We are triple vaxxed and planning to fly from Sydney to Paris on 21 March. I am confident that we have a good understanding of our requirements, for both exit from Australia and entry into France, at least as they are at this stage - and I check about once a week or more often if prompted by news of any developments.

But I am loathe to publish my understanding on this thread for various reasons. Another forum member who is travelling from Australia to France contacted me by a private message and I sent him the details of my understanding of what's required, what digital and paper documents we are taking etc. I am happy to send you the same information. See my post #2 and #3 above for the French sites I use. And this page below (which comes via a link from the diplomate site) is my primary source of information for entry into France. Scroll down to travel to / from an orange list country.

But for a quick comment on your question 'whether I still need to have a negative PCR rest or RAT before departure form Australia'. Your airline will tell you what they require in order for you to board. And the site above sets out what is required for entry from an 'orange' country, as Australia currently is.
In our case the requirements from our airline (Singapore / Air France) as to what vaccination evidence and tests we need to satisfy to board are aligned with what's required for entry into France. There is in addition a requirement from the French government of a Travel Declaration we need to complete and produce on arrival which includes an undertaking to take an RAT. It is downloadable from the above site.

We plan to get our vaccination pass at a pharmacy on arrival at Paris CDG Airport or at another pharmacy in Paris near our accommodation as we are spending time in Paris before travelling elsewhere.

We have not yet downloaded / registered on the TousAntiCovid app - we will look at that closer to the time of departure.

As a double check, my French husband has been checking requirements on various French sites as well, and we are aligned in our understanding.

Anyway, as I said I don't really want to offer too much detail of my interpretation on the thread - but am happy to let you know privately what my research tells me. We can even chat on the phone if you like.

Gosh, what a process! But will be worth it I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Anna

We are triple vaxxed and planning to fly from Sydney to Paris on 21 March. I am confident that we have a good understanding of our requirements, for both exit from Australia and entry into France, at least as they are at this stage - and I check about once a week or more often if prompted by news of any developments.

But I am loathe to publish my understanding on this thread for various reasons. Another forum member who is travelling from Australia to France contacted me by a private message and I sent him the details of my understanding of what's required, what digital and paper documents we are taking etc. I am happy to send you the same information. This is my primary source of information for entry into France.

But for a quick comment on your question 'whether I still need to have a negative PCR rest or RAT before departure form Australia'. Your airline will tell you what they require in order for you to board. And the site above sets out what is required for entry from an 'orange' country, as Australia currently is.
In our case the requirements from our airline (Singapore / Air France) as to what vaccination evidence and tests we need to satisfy to board are aligned with what's required for entry into France. There is in addition a requirement from the French government of a Travel Declaration we need to complete and produce on arrival which includes an undertaking to take an RAT. It is downloadable from the above site.

We plan to get our vaccination pass at a pharmacy on arrival at Paris CDG Airport or at another pharmacy in Paris near our accommodation as we are spending time in Paris before travelling elsewhere. The site above also includes information on how to get a pass and when you will need to use it - e.g. what types of transport and venues.

We have not yet downloaded / registered on the TousAntiCovid app - we will look at that closer to the time of departure.

As a double check, my French husband has been checking requirements on various French sites as well, and we are aligned in our understanding.

Anyway, as I said I don't really want to offer too much detail of my interpretation on the thread - but am happy to let you know privately what my research tells me. We can even chat on the phone if you like.

Gosh, what a process! But will be worth it I'm sure.
Thank you, merci, anamcara!
I have spent too many hours on my laptop today, researching the French government sites and have managed to view and partially complete the Travel Declaration Form. Then, I started looking at flights and airlines, which is always infuriating, (even more so atm, eg, disappointing that Emirates no longer have direct flights out of Adelaide due to COVID). I would love to communicate privately and benefit from your knowledge, once I figure out how to compose and send you a private message via this Forum - but I have to take a break from the screen for now. Thank you for responding so quickly and expect more from me soon!

It is FAR too early to say what the situation will be in May, but if a pass were still necessary for you at that point, for purposes of international travel within the EU you will need your latest shot (or proof of recovery) to have been within the previous 9 months, and in France for all other non-essential purposes (such as a non-local train journey) within the previous 4 months from mid-February onwards (6 months at present), and in both cases since 15 days or more. Whether the vaccinated need a test or not, or whether the unvaccinated (including those with shots older than those limits) can travel with a negative test varies frequently and from one country to the next, so that would need to be looked at much closer to the date.

Having said that, some countries have started removing their mandates, so who knows what will remain of them in May ?

Thank you, merci, anamcara!
I have spent too many hours on my laptop today, researching the French government sites and have managed to view and partially complete the Travel Declaration Form. Then, I started looking at flights and airlines, which is always infuriating, (even more so atm, eg, disappointing that Emirates no longer have direct flights out of Adelaide due to COVID). I would love to communicate privately and benefit from your knowledge, once I figure out how to compose and send you a private message via this Forum - but I have to take a break from the screen for now. Thank you for responding so quickly and expect more from me soon!
Yes, let's do that.

We all know that the situation is changing often - and we take that into account. But I feel competent and confident to work out what is required for our travel. Thousands of people are travelling all over the world every day.

To send a private message - see the little envelope icon in the top right of the menu bar. And then address it to amancara Look forward to 'speaking' with you Anna.

All will be well. Ps, once you are familiar with the French govt site, it's actually pretty clear and easy to navigate in my view. We'll get there, pelerine / peregrina 😎

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am still confused about the time-frame required to complete this process and whether I still need to download the app TousAntiCovid to my phone
There is no need to download the TousAntiCovid app when you are not in France but there is also no harm. I have it on my iPhone but for fun I’ve downloaded it to my iPad just now. No need to register or enter any personal data. It contains various information. It can be set to English. The TousAntiCovid app has Covid-19 related links to various French government websites, not all of them are relevant or useful for foreigners but these two are: Go to Diplomatie.gouv.fr and Go to Re-Open EU.

The first link takes you directly to a French government webpage with Advice on travel to France in connection with Covid-19. Click on it and you are on:
TousAntiCovid is useful to have.

Last edited:
Hi @Anna Cameron I’m going to leave (ie unwatch) this thread. The original question has been answered. But re requirements for travelling from Australia to France, I’m happy to chat directly as discussed. Best from me.

Detailed description by @WanderlustingLawyer of recent experience in December 2021 in new forum post. The pharmacy in terminal 2E at major international airport CDG for Paris does conversion of American CDC vaccination cards (same for travellers vaccinated in Canada or Australia). Fast. Poster recommends download of TousAntiCovid app beforehand. Easy to install.

Click this link to get to the post:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Detailed description by @WanderlustingLawyer of recent experience in December 2021 in new forum post. The pharmacy in terminal 2E at major international airport CDG for Paris does conversion of American CDC vaccination cards (same for travellers vaccinated in Canada or Australia). Fast. Poster recommends download of TousAntiCovid app beforehand. Easy to install.

Click this link to get to the post:
Thanks Kathar1na - That is a great video. Definitely answers all my questions.

I feel pretty confident navigating the site. So happy to help if you want to PM me with anything in particular.

I think our situations are v similar - ie Canada and Australia. Both ‘orange’ category countries now under the French colour system. The rules for us as vaccinated people going to France haven’t changed in any significant way since we’ve been monitoring over past few months.

We have to be fully vaccinated in any case to travel out of Australia (irrespective of destination and with very few exceptions) and we must have negative PCR test within 48 hours before boarding our flight out of Sydney - so our outbound requirements are in line with inbound for France. And we just need to get the vaccine pass on or before arrival.

Not long to go now. 🤞
We found travelling in France in December that our Australian International Vaccination certificates were accepted in trains, restaurants , hotels etc but it would be best to get

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back