• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Vaccine Passport Requirements in Spain traveling from the US

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hillwalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Del Norte 2022
I will be entering Spain from the US in early May landing in Madrid enroute to Salamanca to begin the Camino Torres. My home state of Maine in the US does not issue digital Covid vaccination certificates or QR Codes. There has been a lot of talk on this forum about people entering France and obtaining a QR Code in pharmacies provided they have proper official paper records of full immunization including a booster.

Is it possible to do this in Spain?

My route (Torres) takes me from Spain into Portugal, and then back into Spain enroute to Santiago. I'm assuming that if I can get a QR Code in Spain that it will be acceptable when walking into Portugal and back out again.

Old Hillwalker

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will be entering Spain from the US in early May landing in Madrid enroute to Salamanca to begin the Camino Torres. My home state of Maine in the US does not issue digital Covid vaccination certificates or QR Codes. There has been a lot of talk on this forum about people entering France and obtaining a QR Code in pharmacies provided they have proper official paper records of full immunization including a booster.

My route (Torres) takes me from Spain into Portugal, and then back into Spain enroute to Santiago. I'm assuming that if I can get a QR Code in Spain that it will be acceptable when walking into Portugal and back out again.

Old Hillwalker
DOWN LOAD THE SPAIN TRAVEL HEALTH APP. SpTH it will guide your through the process

In general, Spain doesn't require that a "vaccine passport" be shown to gain entry to accommodations, restaurants, etc., but each Autonomous Community may have its own requirments.

From this Spanish government website:

You must consider the restrictions of the regions (Autonomous Communities) in Spain.

Use of face mask

As of Friday, December 24 and on a temporary basis, it will once again be mandatory to wear face masks outdoors or in open spaces in Spain. Exceptions: if you do individual sports or stay at natural spaces, during the non-sports activities, as long as the minimum distance of 1.5 meters is maintained with other household members. Consequently, it will continue to be mandatory to wear the face mask in closed spaces for public use, in closed spaces open to public, in public transport of any kind, as well as private transport up to 9 seats, if they are not household members.

Social distancing

1.5 m.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How far in advance of a departure date do you suppose we ought to fill out the SPTHE forms in the App? I am pretty certain that now is too early for my April 1 flight to Spain (via Germany where I switch from Air Canada to Lufthansa), but I worry that March 15th will be too late to get all things settled in time. Is it still taking *weeks* for people to get the QR codes processed (and whatever else) on the Spanish health app?
So much could change by April 1, but I think there is no risk in being over-prepared with forms that *might* go defunct. I simply do not want to get caught without the right things in place at the right time.

How far in advance of a departure date do you suppose we ought to fill out the SPTHE forms in the App?
According to the chatbot on https://www.spth.gob.es/

The responses to the health questions can only be completed in the 48 hours prior to your arrival in Spain. We need recent responses to these questions.

When two days or less remain before your journey, you can answer this part of the questionnaire by accessing the button “Continue Form”, if you started the form on the web, or using the section “My Journeys” if you started with the mobile app. You can finalise the form at any moment prior to your arrival in Spain.

According to the chatbot on https://www.spth.gob.es/

The responses to the health questions can only be completed in the 48 hours prior to your arrival in Spain. We need recent responses to these questions.

When two days or less remain before your journey, you can answer this part of the questionnaire by accessing the button “Continue Form”, if you started the form on the web, or using the section “My Journeys” if you started with the mobile app. You can finalise the form at any moment prior to your arrival in Spain.
Thanks! Will hope to have that all work as intended at the time...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For details on entering countries in EU/Chengen (Spain is one of them), read this website; it is the official site for updated rules regarding all countries within the entity:

And of course, you have to register as incoming in Spain. The rules and electronic form can be found here:

Last edited:
I'm just going to have to avoid thinking about it until at least the start of March. In my effort not to get caught without something I need, I will run myself in circles... and maybe mess up. I ahve the Apps for the EU and for Spain. I have my digital vaccine certificates on my phone. I will carry a paper copy... I will make the registration...
I'm hoping that the Irish embassy will make it possible for us to enter our *third shots* as part of their programme for citizens who have been vaccinated outside Ireland... Right now we can only enter 2 doses, so it doesn't know how to take in my data...
*spinning. my. wheels*.
Not complaining... it's all totally appropriate on the part of the EU and the individual countries within it. I'm just anxious about getting it wrong as the timeframe gets tighter to my own departure.

I'm just going to have to avoid thinking about it until at least the start of March. In my effort not to get caught without something I need, I will run myself in circles... and maybe mess up. I ahve the Apps for the EU and for Spain. I have my digital vaccine certificates on my phone. I will carry a paper copy... I will make the registration...
I'm hoping that the Irish embassy will make it possible for us to enter our *third shots* as part of their programme for citizens who have been vaccinated outside Ireland... Right now we can only enter 2 doses, so it doesn't know how to take in my data...
*spinning. my. wheels*.
Not complaining... it's all totally appropriate on the part of the EU and the individual countries within it. I'm just anxious about getting it wrong as the timeframe gets tighter to my own departure.
You are doing many good and correct things in your preparation, as I view it from here in Europe. For your comfort, I can tell you that many European countris, including my Norway, are currently easing up quite a bit, and many beneficial changes may come during February. It seems that the omicron variant is less dangerous than the earlier variants, hence the ease of measures.

Just follow the new rules from the websites i mentioned in my earlier post. If conditions are improving as it seems now, I will go myself for a long CF sometime this year.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The only challenge I encountered with the form when flying from the US in November 2021 was that the airline wanted me to show them that I'd completed the form in order to check in, but the form wanted my seat number, which I wouldn't be assigned until I checked in. I ended up making up a seat number, checking in, and then updating my form while waiting to board. Hopefully they'll have fixed these circular prerequisites by now, or if you are able to choose your seat, it won't be an issue.

Nobody has ever reported on this forum whether pharmacies in Spain, or any other part of the Spanish health services, can, or are prepared, to enter data of a Covid-19 vaccination into their IT system to convert the data to their format when the vaccination was done abroad and the person is neither Spanish nor enrolled in the Spanish sickness insurance system. There is also no such information on official websites.

So: unknown.

Old Hillwalker
Do you have an easy to contact Department of Foreign Affairs? When I needed them last autumn, in Ireland, they provided me (by phone, my preferred line of attack) with the relevant and up to date information in relation to what I needed to do to gain access to Spain. That is my tiny contribution to your question.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm assuming that if I can get a QR Code in Spain that it will be acceptable when walking into Portugal and back out again.
Forgot to reply to this. Correct, if you manage to have your US vaccination data converted to the digital format used in one single EU country, you can use this QR code in all of them. For us Europeans, it's convenient to have.

(Whether you absolutely need it, now or in May 2022, or whether you can get by with your US vaccination card, is a very different question).

Old Hillwalker

As of february 1st you must have received your booster vaccine atleast 14 days before arriving. And fill out the Spanish health form online or app

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Old Hillwalker
Can I add a further question to this one? Will the Spain QR code work in France and Portugal as well or would we need individual QR for each country? Example if we fly into Paris and walk into sSpain then after our Camino drive into Portugal?

Can I add a further question to this one? Will the Spain QR code work in France and Portugal as well or would we need individual QR for each country? Example if we fly into Paris and walk into sSpain then after our Camino drive into Portugal?
The QR code the the one from the spanish healthform…americans just bring there little paper that States when they were vaccinated. But spain requires booster and 14 days must have passed since receiving it

The QR code the the one from the spanish healthform…americans just bring there little paper that States when they were vaccinated. But spain requires booster and 14 days must have passed since receiving it
Can you clarify what you mean by ‘Spain requires a booster’ please?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey,

Here is the new rule for Spain. Your main vaccine is only valid for 270 days. After this you will need a booster to enter that is how I read it. Other countries have different rules. France is different - Booster needs to be done before the 9 month ends. This put me out of France. I got my booster 2 weeks after my 9 months..... Don't know how this will work for other countries. I am planning on getting a second booster in June to be within 6 months of the first in case of rule changes. I am planning on walking next October in Spain.

From the Spth.gov.es site https://www.spth.gob.es/info-pcr

As of 1 February 2022, vaccination certificates issued by the competent authorities of the country of origin shall be accepted as valid 14 days after the date of administration of the last dose of the complete vaccination schedule (primary vaccination), provided that no more than 270 days have elapsed since the date of administration of the last dose of said vaccination schedule. Thereafter, the vaccination certificate issued by the competent authority of the country of origin must reflect the administration of a booster dose. Complete vaccination schedules are defined as those established in the COVID-19 vaccination Strategy in Spain.

Can you clarify what you mean by ‘Spain requires a booster’ please?
as off february 1st all non EU citizens must have received the booster(The 3rd shot) and waited 14 days before they can Enter Spain. And the 3rd shot can’t be older then 270 days. If people received the booster more then 270 days ago. Then they need a 4th shot. This Will for some be a problem during maj-december if they were among the first to receive the booster shot during 2021.

as off february 1st all non EU citizens must have received the booster(The 3rd shot) and waited 14 days before they can Enter Spain. And the 3rd shot can’t be older then 270 days. If people received the booster more then 270 days ago. Then they need a 4th shot. This Will for some be a problem during maj-december if they were among the first to receive the booster shot during 2021.
Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Old Hillwalker
Hey,

I walked the part of the camino in October and we didn't need to show our CDC cards in restaurants. I think we showed it once to a hotel. As far as I know, I don't know if we (USA) persons can get an EU Covid Pass in Spain. Maybe others currently walking can provide some incite.

When you mentioned QR code above, I thought you were referring to the QR code to enter border control at the airport. The video I shared below is for this QR code.

Hey,

I walked the part of the camino in October and we didn't need to show our CDC cards in restaurants. I think we showed it once to a hotel. As far as I know, I don't know if we (USA) persons can get an EU Covid Pass in Spain. Maybe others currently walking can provide some incite.

When you mentioned QR code above, I thought you were referring to the QR code to enter border control at the airport. The video I shared below is for this QR code.
People in galicia shows vaccine card/covid pass to eat.

Hey,

Can you tell me where you read this? I am looking into flying in Portugal (March)and trying to find the rules is a bit overwhelming. I just had my 3rd shot but 2wks after my 270 days. I was planning on getting a 4th in June.

When I looked at the Portugal rules it just has the original vaccine requirements currently plus pre-testing prior to departure.

Thanks,
Jackie

Hey,

Can you tell me where you read this? I am looking into flying in Portugal (March)and trying to find the rules is a bit overwhelming. I just had my 3rd shot but 2wks after my 270 days. I was planning on getting a 4th in June.

When I looked at the Portugal rules it just has the original vaccine requirements currently plus pre-testing prior to departure.

Thanks,
Jackie
If you just had your 3rd shot, then your good the next 270 days. But some people in the US had there 3rd shot around fall. They Will during the summer run into problems and Will need a 4th shot. Unless new changes come.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Always good to check the travelsafe website :https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/latest-news/ for updates and it should answer your questions Jackie-- surf their website, it has great up to date info!! Hope this helps. We are entering Portugal and then walking into Spain at Tui, so I am looking at Portugal's requirements but also monitoring Spains!
Thanks!! I am traveling to Portugal but not to walk this time. I wish. We are walking next October from Porto to Santiago! If you see anything come up let me know and me you.

The QR code that you use to enter Spain by air or land is only for entry to Spain. Nothing else. It's not proof of vaccination or negative covid status that can be used to enter restaurants or bars in Spain or any other country.
Not exactly. If your final shot of your initial series is over 270 ago you need a booster, but thus far, it hasn't been determined that the booster shot has an expiration date. So far there is no requirement for a fourth shot.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey,

I am on AA airlines and I went to the Portugal . On American Airlines the rules state that the US CDC card is not valid in Portugal. On the Portugal site is states

Mandatory proof of vaccination​

Description
Travelers who are fully vaccinated must present a valid vaccination certificate. Travelers must have received all doses required of the vaccine, including a combination of two different vaccines, at least 14 days before travel. Vaccine certificates issued by third countries are accepted under reciprocal conditions, and the vaccines must be approved by EMA (Janssen, AstraZeneca/Vaxzevria, Moderna/Spikevax, Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty, Novavax/Nuvaxovid). Additional vaccines may be approved for travel to Madeira. Please see the source for more details. Currently, recovery certificates from Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Switzerland, El Salvador, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Israel, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Panama, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Togo, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Vatican City are accepted under reciprocity. Travelers with access to the EU Digital Certificate, non-EU countries with certificates accepted by the EU Digital COVID Certificate system, or NHS COVID Pass may use it to present proof. The US CDC card is not accepted. Travelers unable to present a valid certificate are required to comply with rules for unvaccinated travelers.

Has any one gotten NHS COVID Pass. I see a link on AA airline site. Has anyone experience this?

Thanks!

As of february 1st you must have received your booster vaccine atleast 14 days before arriving. And fill out the Spanish health form online or app
Does this apply to children, as they started the vaccination process later and have not have had time to get all of their vaccinations?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Has any one gotten NHS COVID Pass
Yes, people who got vaccinated in the UK have NHS Covid passes.

NHS = National Health Service. The Covid passes issued by the British public health service are recognised by the EU as being equivalent to the EU passes. The EU countries' scanning and verification apps recognise the British passes as valid.

Does this apply to children, as they started the vaccination process later and have not have had time to get all of their vaccinations?
This is what it says. Hope this helps.

Children under 12 years of age are not required to present these certificates or supporting documents.

The list of risk countries/areas can be seen on this link.

In the case of certificates or supporting documents (vaccination, diagnostic test, recovery), which are not EU Digital COVID Certificates, they must be the original, in Spanish, English, French or German and may be submitted in paper or electronic format. Any of these documents shall contain, at least, the following data: name and surname of the traveller and:
-In the case of documentary evidence of vaccination: date of vaccination indicating the date of the last dose administered, vaccine administered, number of doses administered/complete schedule, with vaccines authorised by the European Medicines Agency, by the World Health Organisation, or in the case of certificates with vaccines not authorised by these bodies, the last dose administered must be of one of the authorised vaccines. As of 1 February 2022, vaccination certificates issued by the competent authorities of the country of origin shall be accepted as valid 14 days after the date of administration of the last dose of the complete vaccination schedule (primary vaccination), provided that no more than 270 days have elapsed since the date of administration of the last dose of said vaccination schedule. Thereafter, the vaccination certificate issued by the competent authority of the country of origin must reflect the administration of a booster dose. Complete vaccination schedules are defined as those established in the COVID-19 vaccination Strategy in Spain.
-If the document proves a diagnostic test: date of sampling, identification and contact details of the centre performing the analysis, technique used and negative result.

• Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT), which detect the genetic material of the virus (e.g. PCR, TMA, LAMP, NEAR etc.), carried out within 72 hours prior to arrival in Spain.
  • Rapid antigen detection tests (RAT), which detect the presence of virus antigens, carried out within 24 hours prior to arrival in Spain. The accepted tests are those approved by the European Commission, which can be found in the following link.

It only applies to those whose date of their final vaccination in the original series is over 270 (9 months) old.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't know what the rules for children are specifically, but anyone who has completed their first course of vaccination within 270 days is considered to be adequately vaccinated. If you had the second vaccination more than 270 days before you travel, you need the booster.

Yes, people who got vaccinated in the UK. NHS = National Health Service. The Covid passes from the British Health Service are recognised by the EU as being equivalent to the EU passes. The EU countries scanning and verification apps recognise the British passes as valid.
It looks like vaccinated US Citizens will be considered unvaccinated since our certificate is not accepted in Portugal. Does anyone know a way US Citizens could get an EU Covid pass before arriving in the EU?

It looks like vaccinated US Citizens will be considered unvaccinated since our certificate is not accepted in Portugal. Does anyone know a way US Citizens could get an EU Covid pass before arriving in the EU?
I have never seen a post on this forum where somebody said that such an option currently exists. Unless you are a US student who is enrolled in a French university. Unless you are a US Citizen who holds a EU passport as a second passport. Unless you are a US citizen who is somehow enrolled in a public health service in a EU country for some reason, for example because s/he lives in the EU.

France used to offer an option for tourists to apply beforehand and online. This option does no longer exist.

Italy may have had or may still have such a system, and perhaps also Switzerland. In Switzerland you have, or had to, prove that you stay in a Swiss hotel, with a confirmed booking.

It has never been explained in a comprehensible way what Italy may require.

I hope this answers your question.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am on a facebook Camino group and some US citizens have said they have gotten an EU pass when they presented their CDC cards to some pharmacies in France... but that's all hearsay and I really haven't a clue.
It is correct. I and others had an email from a pharmacy in the French town of Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port who confirmed that they convert CDC card data into the EU format. It costs €36.

There is an excellent video (click on this link) where forum member @WanderlustingLawyer describes in clear and detailed language how she had this done as recently as December 2021 in a pharmacy in Paris airport (CDG airport).

But one has to be already on the ground in France. It is not possible to do it before the flight to France.

Hey,

I am on AA airlines and I went to the Portugal . On American Airlines the rules state that the US CDC card is not valid in Portugal. On the Portugal site is states

Mandatory proof of vaccination​

Description
Travelers who are fully vaccinated must present a valid vaccination certificate. Travelers must have received all doses required of the vaccine, including a combination of two different vaccines, at least 14 days before travel. Vaccine certificates issued by third countries are accepted under reciprocal conditions, and the vaccines must be approved by EMA (Janssen, AstraZeneca/Vaxzevria, Moderna/Spikevax, Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty, Novavax/Nuvaxovid). Additional vaccines may be approved for travel to Madeira. Please see the source for more details. Currently, recovery certificates from Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Switzerland, El Salvador, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Israel, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Panama, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Togo, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Vatican City are accepted under reciprocity. Travelers with access to the EU Digital Certificate, non-EU countries with certificates accepted by the EU Digital COVID Certificate system, or NHS COVID Pass may use it to present proof. The US CDC card is not accepted. Travelers unable to present a valid certificate are required to comply with rules for unvaccinated travelers.

Has any one gotten NHS COVID Pass. I see a link on AA airline site. Has anyone experience this?

Thanks!
What is your source of this information? thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On the Portugal site is states
[...]The US CDC card is not accepted.
For what it is worth, Google shows me that this sentence is on a number of websites but Google does not show me an official Portuguese government website where this sentence can be found. Can you provide the link, please?

I was on the American Airlines Sherpa - This is where you can put in your destinations

I also went to the Portugal site. If you find something different let me know.

EU Digital COVID Certificate
The EU Digital COVID Certificate, accepted from 1 july at European border services, will facilitate free movement of citizens during the COVID-19 pandemic. It is a digital proof that a person:

√ Has been vaccinated against COVID-19, or
√ Has received a negative test result (NAAT test or Rapid Antigen test), or
√ Has recovered from COVID-19.

* Children under 12 years old are exempt of presenting the EU Digital COVID Certificate or testing requirements

More information at https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work...nes-europeans/eu-digital-covid-certificate_en

Certificates issued by third countries, under reciprocal conditions

Vaccination certificates must include:
– Given name(s) and surname(s) of the holder;
- Date of birth;
– Disease or agent targeted: COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2 or one of its variants);
– Vaccine against COVID-19 or prophylaxis;
– Name of the vaccine against COVID-19;
– Marketing authorization holder or manufacturer of the vaccine against COVID-19;
– Number in a series of doses as well as the total number of doses in the series;
– Date of vaccination, indicating the date of the last dose administered;
– Member State or third country where the vaccine was administered;
– Entity issuing the certificate.

Recovery certificates must include:
- Date of birth;
- Disease or agent from which the holder recovered: COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2 or one of its variants);
– Date of the first positiveresult of the diagnostic test;
– Member State or third country in which the diagnostic test was performed;
– Entity issuing the certificate;
– Valid certificate

Non-reciprocity in the recognition by third countries of the validity of the EU COVID Digital Certificate issued by Portugal, in the modalities of vaccination or recovery certificates, prevents the recognition of the validity of certificates issued by these third countries.

I was on the American Airlines Sherpa - This is where you can put in your destinations

The EU Digital COVID Certificate, accepted from 1 july at European border services, will facilitate free movement of citizens during the COVID-19 pandemic. It is a digital proof that a person:

* Children under 12 years old are exempt of presenting the EU Digital COVID Certificate or testing requirements

More information at https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work...nes-europeans/eu-digital-covid-certificate_en

- Date of birth;
– Marketing authorization holder or manufacturer of the vaccine against COVID-19;
– Number in a series of doses as well as the total number of doses in the series;

- Date of birth;
- Disease or agent from which the holder recovered: COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2 or one of its variants);
– Valid certificate

Non-reciprocity in the recognition by third countries of the validity of the EU COVID Digital Certificate issued by Portugal, in the modalities of vaccination or recovery certificates, prevents the recognition of the validity of certificates issued by these third countries.
I went on Delta and they list what is required. It does not say specifically that Portugal will not accept the US CDC cards. It shows what has to be on the certificate.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
For what it is worth, Google shows me that this sentence is on a number of websites but Google does not show me an official Portuguese government website where this sentence can be found. Can you provide the link, please?

Exactly. Lots of sites are using the information from Sherpa, but it's not on any official Portuguese site.

I think that it's possible that the US Embassy site may be the source

However it say here the CDC card may not be accepted, not will not be accepted.

cdc portugal.JPG

Then under Azores specific information it does say that the CDC card is not accepted at this time.

Azores Specific

• Passengers aged 12 and older arriving to the Azores, even on domestic flights from outside the Azores, must either submit one of the following:
    • An EU digital Covid certificate (other proof of vaccination, such as a white CDC card, is not acceptable at this time); or

However, this Portuguese government site lists countries whose vaccination documents are acceptable and the USA isn't on it.

https://covid19estamoson.gov.pt/lockdown-easing-faqs/

What proof of vaccination from third countries can be used?

You can present proof of vaccination from third countries acknowledged by the European Union, which to date are as follows:

• Albania
  • Andorra
  • Armenia
  • Switzerland
  • Faroe Islands
  • Georgia
  • Israel
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Moldovia
  • Monaco
  • Morocco
  • New Zealand
  • North Macedonia
  • Norway
  • Panama
  • San Marino
  • Serbia
  • Singapore
  • Togo
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
  • United Kingdom
  • Vatican

€60,-
Exactly. Lots of sites are using the information from Sherpa, but it's not on any official Portuguese site.

I think that it's possible that the US Embassy site may be the source

However it say here the CDC card may not be accepted, not will not be accepted.

View attachment 117806

Then under Azores specific information it does say that the CDC card is not accepted at this time.

Azores Specific

• Passengers aged 12 and older arriving to the Azores, even on domestic flights from outside the Azores, must either submit one of the following:
    • An EU digital Covid certificate (other proof of vaccination, such as a white CDC card, is not acceptable at this time); or
Correct! Just to reinforce: better to follow official government sites

France is different - Booster needs to be done before the 9 month ends. This put me out of France. I got my booster 2 weeks after my 9 months..... Don't know how this will work for other countries
Wow, this one really caught me off guard. I am flying into France from a Red country and also had my booster more than nine months after my second dose.

Quote from the French Interior Ministry (red country tab)
"Since January 30, 2022, in order to continue to be considered as fully vaccinated, persons aged eighteen and one month or over wishing to enter the national territory must have received a dose of complementary messenger RNA vaccine no later than 9 months following the injection of the last required dose."

I am assuming things will change between now and April.

Edit: Further research-UK news sites are reporting the requirement is that if the second shot was more than nine months ago, a booster is required. Maybe I am misreading the French website (or something got missed in the translation to English)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How far in advance of a departure date do you suppose we ought to fill out the SPTHE forms in the App? I am pretty certain that now is too early for my April 1 flight to Spain (via Germany where I switch from Air Canada to Lufthansa), but I worry that March 15th will be too late to get all things settled in time. Is it still taking *weeks* for people to get the QR codes processed (and whatever else) on the Spanish health app?
So much could change by April 1, but I think there is no risk in being over-prepared with forms that *might* go defunct. I simply do not want to get caught without the right things in place at the right time.
seems it's too complicated to travel to Spain these days.

seems it's too complicated to travel to Spain these days.
I don't think it is any more complicated than anything else these days.

It sometimes feels overwhelming and chaotic because of moving pieces, and I do wish that old threads with out-dated advice would be archived (not deleted -- they are of historical value). I see that new people do arrive to old threads and go down policy routes that no longer apply.

For the next 3 months or so, the pattern seems to be 30-day intervals of policy stability in general for travel to the EU. I've requested my EU QR code for citizens vaccintated outside the EU; that might help settle some things for me -- or it might be impossible because I'm trying to input 3 doses into a 2-dose format (Irish).

I have to resolve not to worry about it until at least march 1st.

*MY quirk* that leads to trouble is an effort to be very organized well in advance of travel... and there are pieces that I am going to have to leave to the end, of necessity.

And while it's annoying that I'm on flight change #5 (2 that I chose; 3 that the airline has imposed), the fact that my direct flights keep getting re-routed to layovers suggests my camino will be quieter/safer less populated even than I had been hoping for. Looks like there's just not enough traffic this year for the usual direct flights.

The QR code that you use to enter Spain by air or land is only for entry to Spain. Nothing else. It's not proof of vaccination or negative covid status that can be used to enter restaurants or bars in Spain or any other country.

Not exactly. If your final shot of your initial series is over 270 ago you need a booster, but thus far, it hasn't been determined that the booster shot has an expiration date. So far there is no requirement for a fourth shot.
Thanks for the clarification. That's the way I see it also. I don't know or haven't heard of anyone else getting a 4th injection. In essence, a 2nd booster. And I live in a Hotspot in the US for Covid.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Maybe I am misreading the French website (or something got missed in the translation to English)
Fwiw, I’ve read the quoted text several times, both in French and English, and I also looked on other sites.

Personally, I would not rush to the same conclusions that have been offered in some recent forum posts. I think the emphasis in this quoted text must be put on “in order to continue to be considered vaccinated“. If you don’t get a booster within 9 months, there will be no continuation of the validity of the pass.

Until I get convinced otherwise, I will assume for the most common vaccination situation (2 jabs and 1 booster): When received only two jabs, then the pass is valid for 9 months, counted from the date of the second jab. When received 3 jabs, then the pass is valid and currently there is no end date of its validity

The above refers to EU vaccination certificates / French pass vaccinal.

Last edited:
I've noticed that this thread wanders all over the place. Portugal, Spain, France. Covid-19 passport requirements for travelling within Portugal, Spain, or France. For travelling from outside the EU into one of the countries. For travelling between these countries. Rules about Covid-19 passports for travelling between regions or countries, for travelling inside a country or for going to a restaurant or hotel.

All of these can be different. And that does not even take account of the fact that regulations and rules change on a weekly basis.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
France is different - Booster needs to be done before the 9 month ends. This put me out of France. I got my booster 2 weeks after my 9 months
Is that perhaps a misunderstanding? I tend to think so. If you have 2 jabs only your French pass becomes invalid 9 months after the 2nd jab. If you have a booster jab, your pass is valid full stop.

Also, I did this just now: I downloaded a new copy of the French TousAntiCovid TAC app. I scanned my non-French EU booster certificate into it.

TAC says: Your [French] pass is valid with this certificate. Your vaccination is complete and finalised as part of the French pass 🇫🇷 [there's a French flag at the end of the sentence].

What does this mean? It means that the app is happy to see that I had a booster jab. The app does not know when I had my previous jabs. Because the dates of the previous 2 jabs are not encoded in the booster certificate. What is encoded is the date of the booster jab, the type of vaccine (here Pfizer) and the number of the booster jab that is assigned to a vaccination program like the one I had (2 jabs + 1 booster).

I think we ought to be careful with making general statements when all we have is what we understand from texts on official websites that are sometimes not as clear as they could be. This is one reason why I try experiment with the various national passport apps and verifications apps or pre-flight enrolment apps, ie to better understand these often half-legalese incomplete info texts that lack context.

Is that perhaps a misunderstanding? I tend to think so. If you have 2 jabs only your French pass becomes invalid 9 months after the 2nd jab. If you have a booster jab, your pass is valid full stop.

Also, I did this just now: I downloaded a new copy of the French TousAntiCovid TAC app. I scanned my non-French EU booster certificate into it.

TAC says: Your [French] pass is valid with this certificate. Your vaccination is complete and finalised as part of the French pass 🇫🇷 [there's a French flag at the end of the sentence].

What does this mean? It means that the app is happy to see that I had a booster jab. The app does not know when I had my previous jabs. Because the dates of the previous 2 jabs are not encoded in the booster certificate. What is encoded is the date of the booster jab, the type of vaccine (here Pfizer) and the number of the booster jab that is assigned to a vaccination program like the one I had (2 jabs + 1 booster).

I think we ought to be careful with making general statements when all we have is what we understand from texts on official websites that are sometimes not as clear as they could be. This is one reason why I try experiment with the various national passport apps and verifications apps or pre-flight enrolment apps, ie to better understand these often half-legalese incomplete info texts that lack context.
I just downloaded the app that you named. My pass is also accepted (Irish). Pity I won't be needing it any time soon!

I just downloaded the app that you named. My pass is also accepted (Irish). Pity I won't be needing it any time soon!
I sympathise. So many places we could go to, so many Caminos we could walk ... but don't right now.

I'd like to add something. We are having these convoluted threads about rules here and rules there, rules now, then and in three months time - threads in which I actively engage I hasten to add - but it's quite simple: If you have followed the recommendations about vaccination in your own country you will be fine in France, in Spain and in Portugal. Because there's not so much difference between comparable countries. For most of us the recommendation as it stands right now: Have 2 jabs and 1 booster. No matter when you started and what the time between each of your jabs is.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I sympathise. So many places we could go to, so many Caminos we could walk ... but don't right now.

I'd like to add something. We are having these convoluted threads about rules here and rules there, rules now, then and in three months time - threads in which I actively engage I hasten to add - but it's quite simple: If you have followed the recommendations about vaccination in your own country you will be fine in France, in Spain and in Portugal. Because there's not so much difference between comparable countries. For most of us the recommendation as it stands right now: Have 2 jabs and 1 booster. No matter when you started and what the time between each of your jabs is.
I wonder if the mods can go and gather up all the old threads that are fully outdated and put them into an archive folder.

The only thing I get nervous about (really nervous about) is not being able (because of a tech glitch) to verify all I need to in the 48 hour window. That's why I am compelled to try to handle issues in advance... but one can't... and it's a cogntiive/quasi emotional mess. A friend went to the UK from Canada for 5 days, landing in London on the day before they announced the new response to omicron. She had her PCR test done 72 hours prior to her departure (via Iceland), but her test results did not arrive in time (lab capacity exceeded). Stranded, she had to buy a *new* ticket home in the range of CAD $1000 and zip around Heathrow to find an RT-LAMP option that the new airline would accept (Air Canada). She did make it home... but it was stressful and upped the cost of her trip by about 60%.

I have pre-purchased 2 RT-LAMP tests (which I may or may not need). I will pack 5 of my own RATs. All my documents are lined up, but I can't confirm any of those yet.

I suspect many travellers for something like the camino are people who have dreamed of it for a long time and may do little overseas travel. I've certainly met many on the road who had never travelled overseas before and didn't intend to do it again. I can see how it would give such a person a lot of worry to be trying to plan for this year now.

I lose patience with those whose questions suggest they are looking for loopholes or ways to game the system.

I suspect many travellers for something like the camino are people who have dreamed of it for a long time and may do little overseas travel. I've certainly met many on the road who had never travelled overseas before and didn't intend to do it again. I can see how it would give such a person a lot of worry to be trying to plan for this year now.
Having witnessed several last minute mandatory trip cancellation 'dramas' and the testing rigmarole that family members went through (in one case in December 2021: 5 mandatory tests per person during a 7 days trip for people who were jabbed and boostered! And they had to pay for all 5 tests!) I can only say that one ought to be prepared to having to handle this at short notice.

It is important to be prepared and not opt for the cheapest flight or train ticket if that means that a mandatory cancellation will be costly.

In short, one ought to be prepared that a Camino trip could be more expensive than expected and more expensive than in previous years where such cancellations were rare. If one is not prepared to deal with such eventualities one would be well advised to postpone.

Having witnessed several last minute mandatory trip cancellation 'dramas' and the testing rigmarole that family members went through (in one case in December 2021: 5 mandatory tests per person during a 7 days trip for people who were jabbed and boostered! And they had to pay for all 5 tests!) I can only say that one ought to be prepared to having to handle this at short notice.

It is important to be prepared and not opt for the cheapest flight or train ticket if that means that a mandatory cancellation will be costly.

In short, one ought to be prepared that a Camino trip could be more expensive than expected and more expensive than in previous years where such cancellations were rare. If one is not prepared to deal with such eventualities one would be well advised to postpone.
Agreed, entirely.
And prepared... it's just generally a regrettable situation.
I am reminded of whose question... recently...? in a recent thread "Is camino for the poor"? And I recall that on my first camino I met an elderly woman from Alberta. Her little wee church had mustered the funds for her to walk in a very "traditional" manner -- witht he blessing of her priest and a stamp from her parish in her book... and *nothing to spare*, but there she was: sure footed and ready.
At least for those from overseas, such things may not be possible again in my lifetime, and it gives me pause.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I do wish that old threads with out-dated advice would be archived (not deleted -- they are of historical value). I see that new people do arrive to old threads and go down policy routes that no longer apply.

Moderators strongly agree that outdated threads should be closed. We don’t have a specific archive system, but closing the thread means that they will sink to the bottom. Tbey are still search-able, and will come up as search results, but cannot be commented on.

To that end, it’d be great if members would hit the report button and let us know when they see recent posts on old threads with outdated info. We will close them and will put a note in the original post explaining that the thread is out of date. And a thanks to those of you who are already doing that, it’s a big help.

No need to apologise. We all want to be helpful. Unless you have dived deep into this whole topic and rummaged around official government websites for many months and puzzled about what they actually want to tell you, you are easily not aware of these differences, and I merely wanted to point it out to avoid confusion. :cool:
I amended the title. Hopes this helps. K

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The travel safe website is not working.
Can anyone tell me the answer to this question.
I have had two doses of vaccination.
I'd like to get my booster.
I am leaving for Spain April 11.
Is it ok to get my booster now?
I don't want to have to get another one before I leave.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The travel safe website is not working.
Can anyone tell me the answer to this question.
I have had two doses of vaccination.
I'd like to get my booster.
I am leaving for Spain April 11.
Is it ok to get my booster now?
I don't want to have to get another one before I leave.
You just want to make sure it’s been at least 14 days after your booster before you travel. No issue with doing it now.

- Date of birth;

- Date of birth;
– Valid certificate

The last line of the proof of recovery says "valid certificate"

I was vax-ed last year. I had Covid in January. I recovered. I now have a "quantitative IGG" test report of full scale antibodies. I got a letter on the clinic letterhead, with all the information prescribed above and a signature.

But,,, what defines a "valid certificate" ?

The last line of the proof of recovery says "valid certificate"

I was vax-ed last year. I had Covid in January. I recovered. I now have a "quantitative IGG" test report of full scale antibodies. I got a letter on the clinic letterhead, with all the information prescribed above and a signature.

Usually you need a positive PCR test result showing that you have had Covid. In the EU this is used to produce another EU digital certificate, I don't know what other proof is required by Spain, though.

At the very least I think you would need evidence of the test with the date you tested positive, your name and date of birth. I don't think antibody testing is accepted.

Usually you need a positive PCR test result showing that you have had Covid. In the EU this is used to produce another EU digital certificate, I don't know what other proof is required by Spain, though.

At the very least I think you would need evidence of the test with the date you tested positive, your name and date of birth. I don't think antibody testing is accepted.
I understand they want PCR. Covid confirmation was by PCR. I have all that listed stuff on letter from dr. office and signature. IGG is just another piece data , although rather good proof of infection ;-).

The "valid certificate" is what I'm trying to find out about.

I understand they want PCR. Covid confirmation was by PCR. I have all that listed stuff on letter from dr. office and signature. IGG is just another piece data , although rather good proof of infection ;-).

The "valid certificate" is what I'm trying to find out about.
OK, I don't know if they will accept your documents.

The valid certificate mostly relates to time. If you were an EU resident you would be issued with a certificate of recovery valid for 6 months.

Well,,, I'll do some more digging to try to find some reasonable method, but I didn't realize that recovery applied to EU only "proof of recovery".

I may just stay home until this all this stuff is over.

I got vaccinated last year to try to meet the rules so I could walk in 2021 and THAT fell apart when the rules changed.

Now I've had the Vax I didn't want in 2021 and the Covid I didn't want in 2022,, but I didn't have it in the EU....so they think I'm gonna get more shots to try to create in my body what I already have, just to get a Vax card?
Not happening!

The Camino has been there a long time. I would love to do it again, but if I don't live long enough for this stuff to settle down,,, que sara.

Thanks for help because I didn't catch that part.
Bob

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Usually you need a positive PCR test result showing that you have had Covid
@Molly Cassidy, fwiw, they have recently made changes, and rapid antigen tests are allowed now, too.

Spain has implemented this and the SpTH website has clear enough language so that every potential traveller to Spain in 2022 can check whether their own personal health/test data and recovery data fit the requirements.

but I didn't have it in the EU....so they think I'm gonna get more shots to try to create in my body what I already have, just to get a Vax card? Not happening!
@Bob P, in relation to crossing external EU borders and Covid-19, the EU does not make the law. It is every one of the 27 countries who make the law. If you "didn't have it in the EU", then much of what you read about certificates of vaccination and recovery from EU sources are just guidelines for you to give you a general idea of what is required when you travel to Spain, France or Portugal while the same stuff is the law for us in the EU. Luckily, I must say, we have these EU DCCs and they are easy to get, easy to verify and don't cause much headache from thinking a lot about whether they are valid and accepted or not. In fact, we rarely think about them at all.

You will not get a definitive answer as to what is a "valid certificate" when it is not an EU DCC. From all we read online, we know for example that currently the American CDC card on its own is recognised as a valid proof of vaccination by Spain (for entry into the country) but not by Portugal (for the same purpose).

Generally speaking, any document that serves as proof of vaccination or recovery when issued by a non-EU country must satisfy a number of conditions: it must contain certain information and it must be drawn up, signed, whatever, in such a way that it appears to be a genuine, authentic and even potentially verifiable document. How this is defined in more detail is up to the individual EU countries and their ministries for health and for border control.

Last edited:
However, @Bob P, the first question to ask is this: Does this even concern my personal situation? Recovery certificates are only valid up to 180 days after the first officially documented test that confirmed infection. So the first question ought to be: Time between my illness and my departure from my home airport to my Camino airport - more or less than 180 days?

IMHO, we've been discussing way too many hypothetical cases in detail that serve no purpose other than our entertainment. 😑

Last edited:

€60,-
Gonna try embassy.
I'm sitting on half million air miles and thought with the waning of Omicron I would book a flight. Airline said I have to find any regulations past PCR to board the plane...

Thanks for pointing me to ideas.
Bob

Gonna try embassy.
I'm sitting on half million air miles and thought with the waning of Omicron I would book a flight. Airline said I have to find any regulations past PCR to board the plane...

Thanks for pointing me to ideas.
Bob
Because they fly out of American locations, Air Canada has to have all the reguations for US departures and international destinations. You can go to the Air Canada website and put in your:

Passport/citizenship
Point of departure
Desired location for arrival
whether you are going one-way or return
Your vaccination status
Dates of travel

AC will give you back:

Current restrictions (if any) and clear requirements (explaining what a “valid document“ is).

The issue of “valid documents” has to do with the fact that there are, unfortunately, people who have been willing to lie, or to try creating their own fake documents.

Depending on your arrival point, but in most cases, immigration officials take the certified letters for proof of recovery. I can’t think of any that *do not*.

Travellers should be aware that while we can enter Portugal without a proof of vaccine and require “only” a negative test (they accept a few kinds), that life on the ground in Portugal requires either constant testing and/or a vaccination certificate.

In other words — and I know it doesn’t apply to you @Bob P — those who are unvaccinated who aim to enter Portugal in order to by-pass entry requirements to Spain (as I have seen proposed as a way to weasel around health protections) will find that while, yes, they can get into Portugal, they will not be able to easily swan about town, and will have to add regular COV testing to their budgets, plus the “hassle” of carrying proof of new status at regular intervals.

To the best of my knowledge from this board, Americans carrying paper copies of their vaccination proofs — and, where applicable, their recovery documents — have not met with resistance From Spanish or Portuguese authorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.