• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Valcarlos albergue

john1962

Time of past OR future Camino
may 2023 1st camino
Hi does anybody know if the albergue in Valcarlos is open? They are not replying to emails. I plan to stay there on Wednesday 26th
April.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Valcarlos albergue is open all year round. Very unlikely that it is closed at the moment when the route is very busy. Perhaps you should try phoning them to confirm.

Usuallly you can book ahead via
luzaide-valcarlos@wanadoo.es or turismo@luzaide-valcarlos.net.

However I just received this response from them
"Contacte con José Carlos al 0034 685 510 435. Puede enviar whatsapp a este número."

There are NO services or supply stops between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles. Be sure to carry trail snacks and water.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have stayed at the albergue in Valcarlos two times, and it has never been even half full. If it is open all year as others have indicated, you should have no trouble getting a bed, even as a walk-in.

Yes, definitely open. Stayed there on the 11th April. Cost was Euro 15. If coming from the D128 don't walk all the way to the top but take the path towards the Arretxe Fronto-Pilotalekua black and white building and turn right, Albergue is at the bottom of the steps

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, definitely open. Stayed there on the 11th April. Cost was Euro 15. If coming from the D128 don't walk all the way to the top but take the path towards the Arretxe Fronto-Pilotalekua black and white building and turn right, Albergue is at the bottom of the steps
Yes, good directions; the albergue is rather "tucked away" and sort of out of sight.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I stayed in Valcarlos end of September 2019; a very busy time of year. I simply showed up, got the key at the bar (hotel?) on the main road, and settled in. I shared the entire albergue with two other folks that night.

Last edited by a moderator:
In easier happier years in winter I was often the only pilgrim in the Valcarlos albergue. I would then sleep in the dorm nearest the steps and raise the window shade at nighr to see the stars and at times the moon. ...At daybreak I would leave to begin the slow climb with many switchbacks up to Ibaneta.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This Gronze webpage shows the albergue's location and pictures, both inside and out.

That is a good picture of the albergue. This is the only entrance and faces the back side of the building off the road, making it more obscure from the road.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.