• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Valcarlos auberge

tpmchugh

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I start walking on April 6th and I am doing some research on the Valcarlos route as Napolean may well be closed. I vaguely remember in a Brierley guide a few years ago, he said you had to get keys from someone for the Valcarlos auberge. He does not mention it in his latest guide. Wise Pilgrim says the keys can be obtained from the shop next to the church but when I use google maps street view there is no shop either side of the church. Also, the auberge is nowhere near where Wise Pilgrim puts it. Does anyone know if I still need to get keys and if so, where, and can I phone ahead to reserve a bed? Much as I dislike pre-booking I dont want to be faced with the prospect of doing the whole wak to Roncesvalles in one day

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, in my recall there is a published 'phone number and you can make a booking if you wish. Probably only necessary at weekends when Spanish rambling groups seem to use the place.

Its a key-code to get in. You can 'phone the number on the door and the hospiltalero/a will give you the key-code. Or you can get it from the bar just back up the road.

The albergue can be tricky to find. Its down some steps beside a sort of open paved area with a pillared structure around and underneath the municipal looking building next to it. That said everyone in town knows where it is and will lead you there, and call the hospi, and punch in the door-code and then leave you in peace. Don't forget to get them to write down the door-code!!

Eroski has the address as Plaza de Santiago, Ubicado en la planta baja de las escuela which looks better than Calle Elizaldea 52.

Edited after yet another look at Google :)

Last edited:
I start walking on April 6th and I am doing some research on the Valcarlos route as Napolean may well be closed. I vaguely remember in a Brierley guide a few years ago, he said you had to get keys from someone for the Valcarlos auberge. He does not mention it in his latest guide. Wise Pilgrim says the keys can be obtained from the shop next to the church but when I use google maps street view there is no shop either side of the church. Also, the auberge is nowhere near where Wise Pilgrim puts it. Does anyone know if I still need to get keys and if so, where, and can I phone ahead to reserve a bed? Much as I dislike pre-booking I dont want to be faced with the prospect of doing the whole wak to Roncesvalles in one day

You can email the Valcarlos municipal office to ask for a reservation at Luzaide-Valcarlos@wanadoo.es and at
turismo@luzaide-valcarlos.net.
or telephone them at
+34 948 79 01 17.

As you walk up the main street of Valcarlos, Calle Elizaldea, shortly after passing the church you will see the municipal building on the opposite side of the road and a contemporary sculpture representing pilgrims. If it is a working day you can enter the municipal building and stop at the Secretary's door which is marked on the second floor to ask for the albergue door code. After leaving the municipal office turn at the sculpture and walk down the lane passing the kindergarden to the stairs leading down to the albergue door. Enter and take a bunk.

Between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles there is no place to buy food nor is there potable water. Be prepared!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can email the Valcarlos municipal office to ask for a reservation at Luzaide-Valcarlos@wanadoo.es and at
or telephone them at
+34 948 79 01 17.

As you walk up the main street of Valcarlos, Calle Elizaldea, shortly after passing the church you will see the municipal building on the opposite side of the road and a contemporary sculpture representing pilgrims. If it is a working day you can enter the municipal building and stop at the Secretary's door which is marked on the second floor to ask for the albergue door code. After leaving the municipal office turn at the sculpture and walk down the lane passing the kindergarden to the stairs leading down to the albergue door. Enter and take a bunk.

Between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles there is no place to buy food nor is their potable water. Be prepared!
Thanks, always prepared as best I can on the Camino hence the question. I am fairly sure Napolean will be closed but I have never walked Valcarlos before. In terms of finding your way, I think Napolean is the easiest. I even got lost today on google maps. I will be arriving on a Friday early afternoon so office hopefully will be open if I can beat siesta. I will send them an email but would it be best to leave it until closer to my start date. I feel like I know the village of Valcarlos as well as my hometown. I have walked up and down and around every corner using google maps looking for the shop mentioned in Wise Pilgrim :) Think I will leave it behind and bring my old Brierley

Hi, in my recall there is a published 'phone number and you can make a booking if you wish. Probably only necessary at weekends when Spanish rambling groups seem to use the place.

Its a key-code to get in. You can 'phone the number on the door and the hospiltalero/a will give you the key-code. Or you can get it from the bar just back up the road.

The albergue can be tricky to find. Its down some steps beside a sort of open paved area with a pillared structure around and underneath the municipal looking building next to it. That said everyone in town knows where it is and will lead you there, and call the hospi, and punch in the door-code and then leave you in peace. Don't forget to get them to write down the door-code!!

Eroski has the address as Plaza de Santiago, Ubicado en la planta baja de las escuela which looks better than Calle Elizaldea 52.

Edited after yet another look at Google :)
Thanks Tincatinker, I have studied Valcarlos on google maps till I know it like the back of my hand looking for the shop next to the church mentioned in Wise Pilgrim so I know where the albergue is. The fabled shop however does not exist :) I will be arriving hopefully before siesta on the 6th which is a Friday so hopefully I will get there before any rambling groups. I was not sure about making a reservation as I hoped that Napolean might be open but after studying the route, initially as a back up plan, I am leaning towards making it my main plan. It looks like a really nice walk

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed in Valcarlos at the albergue in April 2015 and again in 2017. A very nice place! The first year it was my son and myself and one couple who were Italian. Last year it was my family of four, plus one hospitalier (I say that loosely) staying there. A very clean place and very relaxing experience. We had a nice dinner at the nearby bar. I like that route very much as it has lots of variety in scenery.

Also stayed there.

The last few hundred meters before entering town is steep. Small bridge crosses the stream. Nice place to take a break and cool feet in the water. You can actually see the A'berg from the trail.

The lady who ran the place came later that day. Stamped passports. We paid. She left some cakes for the morning.
Co ed bathroom. Of course private shower stalls. But co ed sinks.
The bar down the street (with open covered area in front) is great. It is same location of the store. Buy your goodies that night. Store is not open early a.m.

I forgot the name of the woman who works at the cafe/bar. She is wonderful.
If you ask the night before she will open early for breakfast. Needs to know how many will be eating breakfast in the morning.
If the place is full, there is hotel in town. Also a fire house. I heard some walkers stayed in the fire house. Leaving a donation. The fire house is in back (actually off the side) of the A'berg.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We stayed there in 2016. We got the code from the small bar that was connected to the small teinda. Good place to buy supplies for the next day. Never saw anyone who runs the place. They came while we were eating dinner. Left our payment with a fellow pilgrim who paid them for us.
I have walked both routes, enjoyed both differently. If I walk through that area again I will probably walk the Valcarlos route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
About 2 weeks ago I e-mailed the Albergue requesting a reservation for March 23 and received a prompt reply, bed reserved. Thanks to those providing detailed directions to the door.

Hi tpmchugh,

Thank you for bringing this up. Perhaps take a small can of yellow paint and make the pavement with a yellow arrow pointing toward the bunkhouse after it is found? I will be following you, a month later. I will watch out for your sign. OHHH, once dry, could you use a sharpie and write the access code along the shaft of the arrow?

About 2 weeks ago I e-mailed the Albergue requesting a reservation for March 23 and received a prompt reply, bed reserved. Thanks to those providing detailed directions to the door.

I will be there on 22nd March.... I’ll try to leave it tidy :)

More seriously.... is reservation required at this time of year?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will be there on 22nd March.... I’ll try to leave it tidy :)

More seriously.... is reservation required at this time of year?

A reservation is not required but would be a good idea since the albergue which is on the open in winter Valcarlos route through the mountains has only 24 beds while the main Napoleon route over the mountain is officially closed until April 1. Hence until the Napoleon route opens Valcarlos might be very busy.

I used the Valcarlos Albergue in November 2017. Only 3 of us there that night but it was very good and very comfortable. Well decked out with cooking utensils and kitchen facilities. Was a bit difficult to find so get there is good light. You walk past a children’s play area to find it, at the end of the street and down some stairs. Sign on door said get code from Supermarket back up the street. That’s easy enough to find and everyone seems to know about the code. It’s all a bit of a hassle when you’re tired, walking back and forth around Valcarlos, but not a major problem in the scheme of things.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@jozero has posted a picture of the village of Valcarlos that he took in France across the valley. The pilgrims' office in SJPdP has a handout where in Arneguy you take a backroad (D128 as I remember) to Valcarlos instead of following the main highway between SJPdP and Roncevalles. From where @jozero took the picture you go down and cross the river and go steeply up to the albergue just as @martyseville wrote above. Marty also mentioned the fire department. You can see that in the picture. It is the building with the three large red doors side-by-side. [EDIT: There are four but only three can be seen clearly in the picture.]

The albergue is at the bottom of a staircase. Here is my comment to @jozero's picture:

Besides being a nice picture it shows the municipal albergue. This is a view coming into town from France, the border being somewhere down in the foreground trees. The camino goes down, crosses a river and then goes very steeply up to the albergue. The albergue is on the ground floor of the left-most building in this view (the next floor has three windows and you can see two windows above them.)

@jozero's picture is at https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/valcarlos-winter-morning.5461/

Last edited:
Definitely a code to get in and the bar owners know it as mentioned. The woman who manages it pops in either early evening or in the morning. We stamped our own credentials and put the money in a box before she actually arrived. Great albergue.

Earlier I mentioned three red doors at the fire station. There are four but only three can be seen clearly in the picture.

The following link will pinpoint the albergue. The entrance is at the north-east corner. Google's Street View cannot show the east side of the building.

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=43.091801,-1.301751&z=18&t=m

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi tpmchugh,

Thank you for bringing this up. Perhaps take a small can of yellow paint and make the pavement with a yellow arrow pointing toward the bunkhouse after it is found? I will be following you, a month later. I will watch out for your sign. OHHH, once dry, could you use a sharpie and write the access code along the shaft of the arrow?
Much as I would love to add to the waymarks, extra weight is a no no. And indelible ink pens are only for graffiti vandals :) The albergue is actually easy to find according to other posts and google maps

Thank you, useful information. Three weeks from today it will be me walking around Valcarlos looking for the Auberge and shop.
Have a look at google maps. Square almost opposite the church, go to bottom you will see sign pointing down the stairs to the albergue. This last two days I have spent so much time following routes on the computer, I am seeing them in my dreams. An interesting point following google into Arneguy. They came to roadworks just before the shopping centre and had to turn back. They never returned to finish it :). My only blank spot is from Ondorolle to Valcarlos. There are no roads to follow so the last little section from road to trail and into town is a blank although the photo recommended in a post above is a little help. Seiously considering scrapping plans to use Napolean even if it is open on the day. Looks like more of a challenge finding my way rather than the challenge of climbing Napolean

My only blank spot is from Ondorolle to Valcarlos. There are no roads to follow so the last little section from road to trail and into town is a blank although the photo recommended in a post above is a little help.
Check out this link to an interactive map with the first half of the Valcarlos route (and maybe take screenshots; the link is only good for a few days.) The track is off a bit at that blank spot you mentioned but it is still clear about which way to go. Follow the small road when you leave D128, not the track.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/20180307133004-12207-map.html

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last edited:
Have a look at google maps. Square almost opposite the church, go to bottom you will see sign pointing down the stairs to the albergue. This last two days I have spent so much time following routes on the computer, I am seeing them in my dreams. An interesting point following google into Arneguy. They came to roadworks just before the shopping centre and had to turn back. They never returned to finish it :). My only blank spot is from Ondorolle to Valcarlos. There are no roads to follow so the last little section from road to trail and into town is a blank although the photo recommended in a post above is a little help. Seiously considering scrapping plans to use Napolean even if it is open on the day. Looks like more of a challenge finding my way rather than the challenge of climbing Napolean
Thanks, much appreciated. Also followed it on StreetView.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
95% certain that I will go via Valcarlos. Was told that (officially) the Napoleon route is most definitely closed during my walking dates (end of March). Except if it is open...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
or telephone them at
+34 948 79 01 17.

Between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles there is no place to buy food nor is there potable water. Be prepared!
Ok, I have a bed reserved so thanks for the email addresses. The first one I tried unfortunately was an unavailable address, that was the turismo@ one. The wanadoo.es one worked fine. Two hour response time which is good by anybody's standards. I took a little while to think about which route I wanted to take if Napolean was open and plumped for Valcarlos. Believe it or not, I think it looks more challenging than the mountains with respect to finding your way. Over Napolean its just keep walking with no turn offs or junctions to think about. Besides, I did Napolean 3 years ago so this will be something new. Thanks for your help and everyone elses help too. Greatly appreciated.

95% certain that I will go via Valcarlos. Was told that (officially) the Napoleon route is most definitely closed during my walking dates (end of March). Except if it is open...
It is definitely closed until April 1st at earliest. Depending on weather, it could be closed longer

The shop/little supermarket/bar where I got the keycode is Benta Ardandegia. It is not difficult lo locate; see here in Google Maps.
Thankyou, it was the Menú €12 that caught my attention there while looking at the maps. Always thinking about my stomach :) Interestingly it is not next to the church as Wise Pilgrim says. In fact, the locations they give for accommodations bears no resemblance to the real locations. Quite disappointed with the guide after all the good reviews I read about it

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thankyou, it was the Menú €12 that caught my attention there while looking at the maps. Always thinking about my stomach

We had what was probably our best meal on the Camino there, and what I think were the best grilled lamb chops I've had anywhere. I'm convinced the French are genetically incapable of producing anything but outstanding food, no matter how simple! :) Be sure to check out the ham shop (got to be a better name?) just down the road. Fabulous-looking food and why we didn't buy something for the next day's lunch there, I don't know.... I loved Valcarlos. Enjoy!

It is definitely closed until April 1st at earliest. Depending on weather, it could be closed longer
I guess I will check with Orisson again when I get into Barcelona on 28 March before I reserve for Valcarlos. I would hate to miss out on joyful pain (my knees lol) on the Napoleon route.

Do you think that might be a problem getting a reservation so late in the month? I’m still hoping Orisson will be open 1 Apr but if not I’ll see you in Valcarlos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I guess I will check with Orisson again when I get into Barcelona on 28 March before I reserve for Valcarlos. I would hate to miss out on joyful pain (my knees lol) on the Napoleon route.

Do you think that might be a problem getting a reservation so late in the month? I’m still hoping Orisson will be open 1 Apr but if not I’ll see you in Valcarlos.
Orisson have advised me to phone the day before if the route is open. After much deliberation, I decided that as I have walked Napolean before (3 years ago), I would take Valcarlos. Napolean may be more physically challenging but Valcarlos looks more challenging re finding your way

We had what was probably our best meal on the Camino there, and what I think were the best grilled lamb chops I've had anywhere. I'm convinced the French are genetically incapable of producing anything but outstanding food, no matter how simple! :) Be sure to check out the ham shop (got to be a better name?) just down the road. Fabulous-looking food and why we didn't buy something for the next day's lunch there, I don't know.... I loved Valcarlos. Enjoy!
My mouth is watering already. The Spanish must be the same about food though. Valcarlos is just on the Spanish side of the border. But then, only the French could come up with L'escargot. One of my favourites

How "good" was the bakery just a bid further up the road? (saw it on google earth & StreetView)

My mouth is watering already. The Spanish must be the same about food though. Valcarlos is just on the Spanish side of the border.

Haha! I thought we had crossed back into France! I know we kept skirting the border along that route. Anyway, our meal at that very unassuming little bar was really good. I guess it doesn't matter who's doing the cooking, as long as the food is good! :)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Haha! I thought we had crossed back into France! I know we kept skirting the border along that route. Anyway, our meal at that very unassuming little bar was really good. I guess it doesn't matter who's doing the cooking, as long as the food is good! :)
And the company you are with.

Thanks Tincatinker, I have studied Valcarlos on google maps till I know it like the back of my hand looking for the shop next to the church mentioned in Wise Pilgrim so I know where the albergue is. The fabled shop however does not exist :) I will be arriving hopefully before siesta on the 6th which is a Friday so hopefully I will get there before any rambling groups. I was not sure about making a reservation as I hoped that Napolean might be open but after studying the route, initially as a back up plan, I am leaning towards making it my main plan. It looks like a really nice walk
I am also arriving in Valcarlos that Friday so hope to meet up with you there.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Orisson have advised me to phone the day before if the route is open. After much deliberation, I decided that as I have walked Napolean before (3 years ago), I would take Valcarlos. Napolean may be more physically challenging but Valcarlos looks more challenging re finding your way
It looks like we may end up at the same place, wherever that may be! Looking forward to seeing you guys in person!

Hi Tpmchugh,
Thank you for this post.
I too am starting on April 6th from SJPP, and originally planned to stay at Orisson however we will have to wait and see till the day before to see if that’s possible. If the Napoleon route is closed and you see a lost Australian wandering around Valcarlos please wave me in the albergues direction :)
Either way it sounds like we shall probably meet on the way at some point.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Tpmchugh,
Thank you for this post.
I too am starting on April 6th from SJPP, and originally planned to stay at Orisson however we will have to wait and see till the day before to see if that’s possible. If the Napoleon route is closed and you see a lost Australian wandering around Valcarlos please wave me in the albergues direction :)
Either way it sounds like we shall probably meet on the way at some point.
Look forward to it :) Why not just go Valcarlos. People say the scenery is great and it is up to the Spanish border. After that, I thought it was just OK until we came over the top and saw Roncesvalles below us and then it was great again. I had really wanted to do it again but started researching Valcarlos as a back up plan. Somewhere along the line, it became my plan A

I am also arriving in Valcarlos that Friday so hope to meet up with you there.
Love your title, 'Old Dorset Tortoise'. I have often described myself as the tortoise from the Tortoise and the Hare. Will challenge you to a race to see who is the slowest :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Look forward to it :) Why not just go Valcarlos. People say the scenery is great and it is up to the Spanish border. After that, I thought it was just OK until we came over the top and saw Roncesvalles below us and then it was great again. I had really wanted to do it again but started researching Valcarlos as a back up plan. Somewhere along the line, it became my plan A
I think Valcarlos is quickly becoming my plan A as well, I’ve read in another post on the forum that the pilgrims office doesn’t expect the Napoleon route to be open before April 15, which given the weather in Europe the last few weeks I’m not surprised. Valcarlos research has begun. Good luck with your final preparations!

I think Valcarlos is quickly becoming my plan A as well, I’ve read in another post on the forum that the pilgrims office doesn’t expect the Napoleon route to be open before April 15, which given the weather in Europe the last few weeks I’m not surprised. Valcarlos research has begun. Good luck with your final preparations!
Where are you staying in Saint Jean. Will watch out for you as we start. I have made my mind up that no matter if Napolean is open, I am going via ValCarlos. Try following the route on google maps and you should be ok.

Where are you staying in Saint Jean. Will watch out for you as we start. I have made my mind up that no matter if Napolean is open, I am going via ValCarlos. Try following the route on google maps and you should be ok.
Walked the Valcarlos route two years ago. Never needed google maps. Just followed the markings. Scallops and arrows.

Walked the Valcarlos route two years ago. Never needed google maps. Just followed the markings. Scallops and arrows.
I was not sure about the markings from St Jean to Arneguy. I had been told it was not well marked at all so I had a look at google maps to familiarise myself with the route. I take it from your reply that it is fairly well marked. I know that from ValCarlos on, there is good signage

I'm staying in Gite Makila, which is apparently a few metres from the pilgrims office in SJPP. I don't arrive until Thursday evening, and given I'm not tackling the full day to Roncevalles, thought I would spend a couple of hours exploring St Jean before heading to Valcarlos mid-late morning. I've made peace with the Napolean probably being closed and am now after some research very excited (and committed) to take the seemingly path less travelled, so will definitely keep and eye out for you in Valcarlos Friday night. :) Have you bothered to email the albergue there to reserve, I've seen mixed comments about the need to on here. Not long now!

I'm staying in Gite Makila, which is apparently a few metres from the pilgrims office in SJPP. I don't arrive until Thursday evening, and given I'm not tackling the full day to Roncevalles, thought I would spend a couple of hours exploring St Jean before heading to Valcarlos mid-late morning. I've made peace with the Napolean probably being closed and am now after some research very excited (and committed) to take the seemingly path less travelled, so will definitely keep and eye out for you in Valcarlos Friday night. :) Have you bothered to email the albergue there to reserve, I've seen mixed comments about the need to on here. Not long now!
See you there I am at Villa Esponda that same night now off to bed for me. Busy day tomorrow Leaving tomorrow night

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am staying in Auberge Pellerin just down the street from the pilgrim office facing the hiking gear shop. Arriving mid afternoon on the 5th then setting out for ValCarlos around sunrise, 7:30 approximately. I have emailed ahead to ValCarlos and have a reservation. I was told that at weekends, it is sometimes used by Spanish walking clubs so thought it would be wiser to book ahead on this occasion. For the first time I have three nights in a row reserved, St Jean, ValCarlos and Roncesvalles. I too have made peace with no Napolean route to the point that even if it was open, I am still going ValCarlos. Seems a week or so back, the snow on even Valcarlos was about a meter deep. I saw a picture on facebook taken today of the mountains from Saint Jean. They look clear of snow but then, when I crossed in 2015 they looked the same. However, although passable and the weather was good, there was still a lot of snow lying on the Spanish side of the border. Hopefully, we will meet up for a little while but as I am a slow stroller, you will be flying on up the trail on your own leaving this old tortoise behind :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A rather nice tienda/bar/restaurant who are well used to and very welcoming of those wide eyed peregrinos on their first day who really need to practice their Spanish, are just a little bit sideways but still want to be a 'proper' peregrino. They won't remember me but I remember them with real affection :)

A rather nice tienda/bar/restaurant who are well used to and very welcoming of those wide eyed peregrinos on their first day who really need to practice their Spanish, are just a little bit sideways but still want to be a 'proper' peregrino. They won't remember me but I remember them with real affection :)
Will look it up, sounds good

Has anyone heard anything about Auberge du Pelerin in Saint Jean. I have a reservation there for next Thursday and I heard today they have closed down and not made any refunds. Can anyone confirm before I start looking for alternative accommodation

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Has anyone heard anything about Auberge du Pelerin in Saint Jean. I have a reservation there for next Thursday and I heard today they have closed down and not made any refunds. Can anyone confirm before I start looking for alternative accommodation
For now this albergue it's not open.

(Edited by moderator to remove an email address)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am staying in Auberge Pellerin just down the street from the pilgrim office facing the hiking gear shop. Arriving mid afternoon on the 5th then setting out for ValCarlos around sunrise, 7:30 approximately. I have emailed ahead to ValCarlos and have a reservation. I was told that at weekends, it is sometimes used by Spanish walking clubs so thought it would be wiser to book ahead on this occasion. For the first time I have three nights in a row reserved, St Jean, ValCarlos and Roncesvalles. I too have made peace with no Napolean route to the point that even if it was open, I am still going ValCarlos. Seems a week or so back, the snow on even Valcarlos was about a meter deep. I saw a picture on facebook taken today of the mountains from Saint Jean. They look clear of snow but then, when I crossed in 2015 they looked the same. However, although passable and the weather was good, there was still a lot of snow lying on the Spanish side of the border. Hopefully, we will meet up for a little while but as I am a slow stroller, you will be flying on up the trail on your own leaving this old tortoise behind :D
Good luck with your early start tomorrow!
Will see you in Valcarlos, I have emailed them twice to try and reserve a bed but alas have received no reply. I’ll just be going with positive thoughts and hoping for the best

I stayed in Valcarlos at the albergue in April 2015 and again in 2017. A very nice place! The first year it was my son and myself and one couple who were Italian. Last year it was my family of four, plus one hospitalier (I say that loosely) staying there. A very clean place and very relaxing experience. We had a nice dinner at the nearby bar. I like that route very much as it has lots of variety in scenery.
Hola,
Do you remember whether the albergue was heated in April?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I do not exactly remember, but I don't remember thinking anything negative about the experience, nor do I recall feeling cold in bed. I do remember the water in the showers was nice and hot...does that help?
Yes, thank you!

I do not exactly remember, but I don't remember thinking anything negative about the experience, nor do I recall feeling cold in bed. I do remember the water in the showers was nice and hot...does that help?
I don't remember heating but I presume there must be some as I do remember being warm and comfortable and that there were blankets folded at the bottom of the bunk.
Thank you!

Hola,
Do you remember whether the albergue was heated in April?
I stayed there once. I don't know if it was heated, but it is a nice and clean albergue and Valcarlos a nice small town.

There are built in electric heaters along the walls in both dorms and the public space which you the user can easily control. All can be very toasty quickly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most of this conversation was over a year ago ... did they make it to the albergue? Did they find the code? Did they get their refund? Did they meet up, fall in like and walk the rest of the Way together?

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.