• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Valcarlos on a Sunday

HedaP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances starting SJPdP Sept/Oct 2015, April/May 2017
All being well, I'll be getting to Valcarlos next Sunday afternoon. Do any of you wise folk on this forum know if I'll find a shop open on Sunday afternoon or evening to buy food for the next day's walk to Roncesvalles or should I stock up before leaving SJPdP?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi HedaP, don't worry. The wonderful small supermarket/restaurant/community meeting place was open when I was there Sunday 29th March 2015. They are very friendly people and the food was good. Don't expect to be able to buy bread - they might have some but not guaranteed - but the Arneguy shopping complex a few kilometres before Valcarlos might provide. There is also another small shop on the corner opposite the supermarket. Buen Camino!

And a petrol station soon after mall in Arneguy where you can also stock up on some essentials.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had a great meal at the restaurant towards the end of the village, very reasonably priced.

I had a great meal at the restaurant towards the end of the village, very reasonably priced.

Like Kanga I, too, enjoyed eating in Valcarlos. During the past 11 years always staying at the municipal albergue often I have eaten in the dining room of the nearby Casa Marcelino with a menu del dia that is copious, delicious and a great value. Since the Casa is located at the western end of town on the calle Elizaldea perhaps it is the same spot that Kanga enjoyed.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you all for the advice. I've made notes. And I'm happy not to have to cart food from SJPdP. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Back