• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Valcarlos route or Napoleon Route

Luisito76

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hello!
Tomorrow I am arriving to SJPD and starting The Camino on Saturday. I am not sure which route ro take, Napoleon or Valcarlos.
Any suggestions?
PS. I am considering stay in Caro since all the hostels are full

Thanks

Regards,
Luis

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It is located a mile and a half from SJPD
Could be an option. If you go to the pilgrim office in St Jean they will help find you a place to stay. We did the Napoleon Route in 2016. I probably wouldn't do it again. It was pretty, but long and very steep going down at the end when you are tired.

In early April 2019 I was keen doing the Napoleon route, but was very disappointed to find out is was closed again because of snow. So I took the way via Valcarlos and it was actually quite pleasant. I really enjoyed it :)
Of course next time I would really want to walk the Napoleon, as I already know the other. But in the end it seems both are nice in different ways :)

I walked the Valcarlos route in 2016 and the Napoleon in 2018. Next week I will walk the Napoleon route again because I prefer it. I found each to be of similar difficulty and both are beautiful, but I enjoyed the scenery and camaraderie of the Napoleon more.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've walked both. They're different but both are lovely walks and plenty doable if you are in halfway decent physical condition.
The Napoleon is definitely the most crowded. Both times I walked the Valcarlos route I saw less than ten fellow pilgrims on it.

I've walked both. They are different but both beautiful.

When the route Napoleon is open, the Valcarlos is usually very quiet.

When I walked it in 2017 in beautiful summer weather, I saw only two other pilgrims!

In bad weather you won't see much up on the high route as you'll walk in fog and clouds. So if rain and wind is in the forecast, I'd choose the Valcarlos. If it is very hot it is also the better choice because there's a lot of shade, while on the Route Napoleon you're walking in the sun (not many trees up there).

Regarding accommodation - the municipal albergue in St. Jean does not accept reservations. So if you arrive early enough, you'll have a bed. If it is full, the pilgrims office will help you find accommodation.

If you arrive early you could also directly walk to Valcarlos. It is only a ~12km walk and Valcarlos has a nice municipal albergue that also accepts reservations I think. So maybe that's an option If you don't find accommodation in St. Jean.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It was very rainy in the September 2022 day we began our Camino from SJPP, so we took the Valcarlos route. We had planned to take it all along, but had the day been beautiful, we might have taken the NR. The Valcarlos Route was so pretty! We had not been prepared for how pretty and varied the terrain would be, some pretty easy, some less so (definitely places to be very careful), some street walking, some cows and their leavings. But a good route for a rainy day. We thought it was a pretty long day, but we are not fast walkers!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Arrived in SJPDP last week after finishing the Via Podiensis. We had an extra day before heading home and had already hiked the Napoleon/CF on a previous trip. So we took a cab up to Roncevaux and hiked back down to St Jean on the Valcarlos. It was gorgeous! I loved the day, through beautiful forests, crossing streams on little bridges and seeing the church in Valcarlos with a cool stamp from the lady who unlocked the door for us as we were taking a break on the church steps. The only downside was a fair amount of road walking as the trail wove in/out of the woods. But drivers were really considerate and stayed away as we walked on the shoulder of the twisty road. I wouldn’t hesitate to take the Valcarlos route, it’s just a different feel than the Napoleon.

I am not sure which route ro take, Napoleon or Valcarlos.
I started at 7:30 a.m., took "a few steps at a time", i.e., at snail pace, on the Napoleon trail, and reached the hostel around 5:00 p.m. in time for a delicious grilled fresh trout meal with wine in one of the the hostel's restaurants.

Taking the Napoleon route is not as difficult as I thought / has been described. I had my backpack courier to the hostel may make the difference.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Valcarlos is nice. Napoleon is breath taking wonderful. If it's open go for it. Why take less if there's more?
I did, started from Orrison, not the greatest physical form but I did it. It's difficult but very much doable. Was the highlight of the whole Camino.

I can't compare as I have only done Napoleon - but it is beautiful and I am so glad I did it! But always check the weather which can be unpredictable - before setting out. Don't attempt to do it if the route is closed.

The first few hours are steep, but not so bad after that (except you are already tired from the steep section). Start early, stop and rest and refuel in Orison.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.