• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Valcarlos route

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
I will be walking the Camino Frances again this year. I have previously done the Napoleon route and am planning on taking the Valcarlos route this year. It looks relatively gentle compared to the Napoleon. I am curious as to how long it took you to walk to Valcarlos. I will be arriving in SJPdP (April 12th) late afternoon and was thinking of walking to Valcarlos that afternoon and evening.

Obviously I will take into consideration the weather. It looks like around 11-12 km's.

Thank you to anyone who is willing to share their experience.

Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked from St Jean to Roncesvalles via Valcarlos in September. I left St Jean at about 8am and reached Valcarlos at about 11am. Short break there then carried on to Roncesvalles - arrived there between 3 and 4pm. An Englishman of 73 in the same albergue overnight also walked that route on that day and only reached Roncesvalles later than me because he stopped to help a much younger German man struggling with an oversized pack and shortage of water.

I can't remember our time over that stretch exactly but my wife has a pace across terrain like that of about 2 mph so it probably took us 3.5 to 4 hours. We were the slow ones on the camino. SJPdP to SdC took us 48 walking days and in that time I remember us passing only one pilgrim who was moving at the time. So SJPdP to Valcarlos shouldn't take you much longer than 4 hours.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
September 2015 walking with two friends who didn't have much walking experience - it took us just short of 5 hours and I clocked just over 7 miles - we stopped a lot!

I found the next days walk very difficult but think I was dehydrated when I started, it was also a hot day and I ran out of the water I was carrying and felt just awful! Walked to Roncesvalles from Valcarlos in 5 and 3/4 hours I clocked around 7 and 3/4 miles - most of which was uphill!

I left St. Jean at 08.20 on April 19th and arrived in Valcarlos at 11.10, had a snack break, decided not to stay and headed for Roncesvalles, arrived at 16.30 approx. If I was to walk it again this early in the year I would not leave the road after Valcarlos, where the trail plunges down to the ravine and back up again, as it was wet and muddy from rain, and was hard going. This route cuts the corner of the road but IMO is not worth the couple of kilometers you save, I would stay on the road, not as pretty, but easier.
Buen Camino Joe.

Hi Joe, I left SJPDP (end March, 2015) at around midday and ambled along in the sunshine enjoying the views and the wildlife scuttling across my path. I had long stops to write postcards (so I could post them in France before crossing the border into Spain) and for a late picnic lunch. I got a bit confused when I reached Arneguy shopping complex, but found the path again easily enough. Arrived in Valcarlos about 4.30pm but could have done it in much shorter time if I had wanted to. Agree with Wayfarer about avoiding the ravine on the route from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles if it has been raining heavily. It started out fine when I walked it and it was easy going but then the mist came down and it was very cold! Walking by the side of the road is not a problem (of course observing the usual precautions) and vehicles seem to be alert to the prospect of encountering pilgrims. It is a beautiful route and Valcarlos has an excellent albergue and several places where you can eat in the evening. I went to the one which combined supermarket, cafe and restaurant. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is a beautiful route and Valcarlos has an excellent albergue and several places where you can eat in the evening. I went to the one which combined supermarket, cafe and restaurant. Buen Camino!

Yes, I :) agree with all of that!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I did it in late March. It was cold, with light intermitent rain.
I made four hours approx from SJPP to Valcarlos. Stayed in the great municipal albergue this night -just an old French monsieur and me. I enjoyed next day a shower and a relaxed breakfast -usually you can't have them in the hassle or the morning albergue rush hour. Then five beautiful and relaxed hours to Roncesvalles. The path forest was muddy, but not particularly difficult. I could perfectly have walked farther, but wanted to be this night in the monastery.
I am in my sixties. A pilgrim more or les my age walked all the way by the paved road, and we arrived at Ibañeta at the same moment. It was kind of funny.
For a comparative, I later did the Napoleon way in 9 1/2 hrs
Buen camino!

Last edited:
Valcarlos has an excellent albergue and several places where you can eat in the evening. I went to the one which combined supermarket, cafe and restaurant. Buen Camino!
That should be the Benta Ardandegia It doubles as the social centre of the village. I met with kind local people there, ready for a bit of little talk with a stranger. I got the key code of the albergue there; also bought food.
A minor note: apparently there is no bakery in the village, so they bring it from other place (Arneguy?) and in the evening all is sold out.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have climbed the Valcarlos route 11 times over the past years. The latest slog was mid October 2015 at 76. After leaving the Valcarlos albergue at dawn (around 08:00) it took 5 hours to arrive at Roncesvalles, pooped but proud.

In bad weather ie fog, rain or snow I have always walked on the left side verges of the N135 road and not followed any passages into or through the wood. You can read the accounts more fully here.
Whatever the season or weather it is important to remember that beyond Valcarlos there are neither services nor water until Roncesvalles. Be prepared!

Last edited:
Following this thread with interest. I will be walking from SJPdP to Roncevalles on 31st March. Due to time constraints to do the whole journey I can't afford to stay in Valcarlos.

My concern is that I'll be taking the Corazon Puro option so my understanding is that I should arrive in SJPdP at around 9:00am and hoping to start walking on the same day at around 10:00am. I consider myself quite trained for the Camino, and I'm doing also some good hill training. I won't mind arriving late in Roncevalles either, guessing around 6:00pm.

Any feedback and/or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

As a rule, I don't walk in a mountain pass that I don't know after sunset -and less, if I am alone. But I am not the adventurous type guy.
See the sunset times for Valcarlos here Consider also than in forests, it gets dark sooner. Walking by the paved road, if needed, is also an option -but it has its own problems.
Weather is also a factor.
Having said that, arriving at 6 PM to Roncesvalles (or even to Ibañeta chapel, that is, after the forest, 2 km to Ronc) seems good.
Ask the hospitaleros of Corazon Puro, they could give you good and informed opinion.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As a rule, I don't walk alone in a mountain pass that I don't know after sunset -and less, if I am alone. But I am not the adventurous type guy.
See the sunset times for Valcarlos here Consider also than in forests, it gets dark sooner. Walking by the paved road, if needed, is also an option -but it has its own problems.
Weather is also a factor.
Having said that, arriving at 6 PM to Roncesvalles (or even to Ibañeta chapel, that is, after the forest, 2 km to Ronc) seems good.
Ask the hospitaleros of Corazon Puro, they could give you good and informed opinion.
Buen camino!

Thanks for your advice :)

My concern is that I'll be taking the Corazon Puro option so my understanding is that I should arrive in SJPdP at around 9:00am and hoping to start walking on the same day at around 10:00am. I consider myself quite trained for the Camino, and I'm doing also some good hill training. I won't mind arriving late in Roncevalles either, guessing around 6:00pm.

@sillydoll just posted that Corazon Puro will be closed this year due to family health issues back in Hungary. I am afraid you will have to change your plans for the start of your Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Joseph_MT, I'm setting out a few days after you. Planning to stay overnight in Pamplona because I want the time to get a Spanish SIM card, then catching the 14:30 hrs Alsa bus to SJPdP arriving 16:15 hrs cost €22. It means staying overnight in SJPdP but it's a beautiful town so all good.
Buen camino

Last edited:
@Joseph_MT, I'm setting out a few days after you. Planning to stay overnight in Pamplona because I want the time to get a Spanish SIM card, then catching the 14:30 hrs Alsa bus to SJPdP arriving 16:15 hrs cost €22. It means staying overnight in SJPdP but it's a beautiful town so all good.
Buen camino

That's what I'm planning to do as well Heda, so I'm sure an unplanned stay in Pamplona and SJPdP will be lovely. Just had to fix a bit my schedule and trying to do the whole journey in 29 days instead of 30. Wish I could stay more on the Camino, however my days off from work are limited. Wishing you a Buen Camino :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will be walking the Camino Frances again this year. I have previously done the Napoleon route and am planning on taking the Valcarlos route this year. It looks relatively gentle compared to the Napoleon. I am curious as to how long it took you to walk to Valcarlos. I will be arriving in SJPdP (April 12th) late afternoon and was thinking of walking to Valcarlos that afternoon and evening.

Obviously I will take into consideration the weather. It looks like around 11-12 km's.

Joe
Hi Joe,
I need some advice please. I am planning to start the Camino on the 5th of May with my daughter who is not madly fit. You are choosing to do the Valcarlos route rather than the Napoleon way this time around. Reason? I am unsure which one to do, because I don't want myself or my daughter to loose heart on day 1 ;-) Any advice for me?
Suzanne

Joe
My wife and I walked this last year at the beginning of May. My GPS track record shows it was 12.1 km from the pilgrim office to the albergue at Valcarlos. Our elapsed time was just over 5 hours, but less than 4 hours of walking.

ps if you are using Naismith's rule or one of it's derivatives, the total climb was about 450 metres.

Last edited:
My wife and I walked this last year at the beginning of May. My GPS track record shows it was 12.1 km from the pilgrim office to the albergue at Valcarlos. Our elapsed time was just over 5 hours, but less than 4 hours of walking.

ps if you are using Naismith's rule or one of it's derivatives, the total climb was about 450 metres.
Hi Doug,
What was the weather like in May?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Joe,
I need some advice please. I am planning to start the Camino on the 5th of May with my daughter who is not madly fit. You are choosing to do the Valcarlos route rather than the Napoleon way this time around. Reason? I am unsure which one to do, because I don't want myself or my daughter to loose heart on day 1 ;-) Any advice for me?
Suzanne

Suzanne:

Hello, I am choosing the Valcarlos route because I have walked the Napoleon route twice. I walked the Napoleon on March 23rd in 2010-11. It was a long haul 8 hours.

I would recommend, if you want to ensure you do not get disheartened, that you stop at Orisson (steep 8 km's) to break up the first day if you choose the Napoleon. If you choose the Valcarlos stop in Valcarlos (12 km's).

Start slowly and ease your body into walking shape. Listen to your feet. If you feel a rub/friction stop and address it immediately. Your feet will determine how enjoyable your Camino will be.

Weather is unpredictable so I would not worry about it.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Joe,
Suzanne
I agree with Joe. We too stopped at Valcarlos because I was still recovering from an injury when we started our Camino in 2014. It is a beautiful walk up a green valley on the first day, and a wonderful village to spend the evening. From there to Roncesvalles on the second day is about 4 hours, but quite still challenging due to the elevation gain. If you want to start your walk with distances that will not discourage anyone, this is my recommendation.

Yep, just read that. Then I will need to change plans. Thanks for advising.
Beilari, in SJPP is a perfect way to start your Camino. They start taking reservations in mid February. I'll be a week behind you. If the Napoleon route is open, I'll take that one. I've walked both before and easily reached Roncesvalles in afternoon. Buen Camino!

Beilari, in SJPP is a perfect way to start your Camino. They start taking reservations in mid February. I'll be a week behind you. If the Napoleon route is open, I'll take that one. I've walked both before and easily reached Roncesvalles in afternoon. Buen Camino!

Thanks. To say the truth I was a bit concerned at first that I had to change plans, which meant more travelling time and a day less walking the Camino. However now I'm seeing also the positive side of it. I have more time to visit Pamplona, more time in SJPdP, which hopefully would also mean an overnight stay at Beilari. I've read quite some positive feedback on Beilari, which is the perfect start to the Camino. If the Napoleonic route will be open on 1st April I would also opt for it.

Wishing you also a Buen Camino :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you to anyone who is willing to share their experienc

Departed or walked through STJPdP on 7 occasions to Spain , two via Napoleon , five via Valcarlos , enjoy Valcarlos .
If there is any rain or fog you just forget the Napoleon.
If you have commenced somewhere on GR65 then its a light lunch in St Jean and a lovely walk to Valcarlos where the village awaits.
The next day we always continue to Burgette , a great place to stay 4km past Roncesvalles.
If it has rained we avoid the forrest floor as its not a walk in the forrest.
If it has not rained then the floor is beautiful.
If you can walk from Valcarlos on a Sunday then its only buses and taxis [ carrying the Pilgrims luggage] on this winding road , they go very slow as this method of crossing the mountain is more popular than many think , especially from pilgrims who commenced in France.
The accommodation in Valcarlos is very good [ Albergues] to beautiful [ See CR's].
And yes it is the original path according to many drawings depicted on walls .

Last edited:

Joe
There is a lovely Albergue in Valcarlos.
I will defenately walk to Valcarlos again. My way to Valcarlos the first time was very alternative :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have climbed the Valcarlos route 11 times over the past years. The latest slog was mid October 2015 at 76. After leaving the Valcarlos albergue at dawn (around 08:00) it took 5 hours to arrive at Roncesvalles, pooped but proud.

In bad weather ie fog, rain or snow I have always walked on the left side verges of the N135 road and not followed any passages into or through the wood. You can read the accounts more fully here.
Whatever the season or weather it is important to remember that beyond Valcarlos there are neither services nor water until Roncesvalles. Be prepared!
I owe you thanks @mspath. Over the weekend I read a blog http://www.girlsontheway.com/ about a woman and her two young daughters who walked the Valcarlos route just a few weeks before I'm planning to do it. Scared me silly as I don't have any of the experience or the hi tech snow gear that this little family had and obviously needed. But your wonderful blog http://mermore.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/aaa-ron.html makes it clear that I can just keep walking up the road and I don't have to snow bash across fields and down and up valleys. Mind you, I have since ordered a pair of waterproof socks! Hahaha

Last edited:

Joe
I'd like to know too. I have done the Napoleons route last year and do the Valcarlos next time. I have heard it's a lot easier. Depends on the weather, as some of the trails get flooded when it's raining heavily.

Hi Doug. Looking at photos of the Valcarlos route, a lot of it seems to be on road. Is it?
Whilst a lot of the Napolean route is also road, steep uphill road walking is less damaging on my Achilles. I think it must be due to a softer foot fall...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Doug. Looking at photos of the Valcarlos route, a lot of it seems to be on road. Is it?
Whilst a lot of the Napolean route is also road, steep uphill road walking is less damaging on my Achilles. I think it must be due to a softer foot fall...

50% road,
50% path
Country roads until Valcarlos , serene
Path on forest floor after , unless its wet and then mate stay on the winding road until the water fountain then the path into Roncesvalles.
The CR's in Valcarlos have something for sore feet and ankles , beautiful deep baths.
Bring your Radox.

I usually spent the first night in St Jean as I arrive around 2.00pm, this time I would like to walk onto Valcarlos. Would I be too late for the albergue if I was to reach Varcarlos around 4.30 pm.

I usually spent the first night in St Jean as I arrive around 2.00pm, this time I would like to walk onto Valcarlos. Would I be too late for the albergue if I was to reach Varcarlos around 4.30 pm.

The Valcarlos albergue which is great has a limited number of beds. Although a municipal facility it does accept bookings.
Here is their email address
turismo@luzaide-valcarlos.net
and telephone
+34948790199

With a reservation made from SJPdP you can relax as you walk!

Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Joe
Joe,
Depending on weather, the first day on the Valcarlos is very doable in 4 hrs. or less. Gentle climb and scenic pastureland and farms. Really enjoyed it on 23.06.21. Day 2 has some real challenges to it. Very enchanting forest walking and steep climbs. More dirt a than asphalt. If you have trained steep hills with a pack it shouldn’t be a problem; if not, have your bag taken to Roncesvalles and enjoy the trail through the deep greens and dripping foliage. Very verdant and untouched by too many hikers.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you leave that day stay in Valcarlos.
Great accommodation , get over the jet lag and enjoy.
Your previous experience will allow you to judge the situation.
Is the departure date 12/4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.