• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Valcarlos

Dave C.

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis (2016)
SJ to Santo Domingo (2017)
Santo Domingo to Fromista (2018)
SJPdP to Burgos (2019)
Short walk from SJPdP to Valcarlos today. Rained off/on with some strong winds at times. 9 PM and it appears my son and I have the Municipal Alb. to ourselves.
As always, a GREAT day on the Camino (and I think my son has “the fever”).
Another short day tomorrow, only to Roncesvalles, I want my son to experience the Pilgrim blessing.
Then on to Zubiri the next day.
Very few Pilgrims, maybe the time of year and weather. Walked with a guy from Detroit and Holland. Met two Australians at dinner.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I really like that little town of ValCarlos and that albergue there is nice and I had a good stay there. Allowed me to sleep in, leave Saint Jean around noon, walk relaxed and arrived there with plenty of time before dinner. Was only six of us I believe in the albergue and that was in the middle of the popular season.

I loved Valcarlos and the albergue in mid March 2018.....felt bad for the rescue guys (one who came to lay out our breakfast supplies) as some Brazilian boys needed rescuing that same wet night up on the Napoleon route. I’m glad that they’ve made it an illegal act to take the Napoleon route when it’s officially closed.....a few big fines to reinforce that they’re serious. Buen Camino and enjoy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I enjoyed Valcarlos. The Village is very interesting, great food shops and the albergue was good.

I liked the idea that I was following the original route rather than the more modernist Route Napoleon.

To each, their own, though.

Hi Dave C, we will be a few weeks behind you so am following with interest! Do you have a blog I can follow? I for one would love details!!!

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Has anyone here walked BOTH routes?
I have a lady in 2021 who is afraid to walk the Napoleon because of the inclines and declines.
How much different/easier is the Valcarlos route?
I’ve walked both. The Valcarlos route can also be split up into two days like the Napoleon. The first day is absolutely lovely, with a climb up into the town. The next day to Roncevalles is a tough climb, mostly continuous uphill with a brief downhill into the village. I specifically chose to do this route because the Napoleon has the 5KM downhill and I just wasn’t in the mood for it this time. I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily easier, but easier on the knees. Also, MUCH less pilgrims with the Valcarlos route, something I preferred, having already walked from Le Puy and enjoying the quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have a lady in 2021 who is afraid to walk the Napoleon because of the inclines and declines.
I have walked both routes multiple times. Do not have a favorite, but if one is looking at it in the sense of inclines and declines, the Valcarlos has less overall. It does have that steep section the last third of the way as you are going into Roncesvalles.
The Valcarlos route does require a lot of walking along the roadway and while not as busy as a rally race, you still need to keep your ears and eyes open for traffic.

Hi we walked both routes and if given a choice I’d walk the Napoleon. We absol loved it. Where as we did not like the Valcarlos route. We found the road very dangerous and stressful with the fear of heights and no barrier in places along the road. The mist was down and we were using torches but still the fear of the lorries coming at speed. The Napoleon was lovely if you give yourself plenty of time walk slowly and enjoy the scenery.

I think the weather plays a significant role on how much either route is to be enjoyable.
So many speak of the dangerous road on the Valcarlos' first day. I recall it being a relatively short stretch and had no problem the two times I've walked to V.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think the weather plays a significant role on how much either route is to be enjoyable.
So many speak of the dangerous road on the Valcarlos' first day. I recall it being a relatively short stretch and had no problem the two times I've walked to V.
Sorry I found it more dangerous on the stretch from valcarlos to roncesvalles

Hi we walked both routes and if given a choice I’d walk the Napoleon. We absol loved it. Where as we did not like the Valcarlos route. We found the road very dangerous and stressful with the fear of heights and no barrier in places along the road. The mist was down and we were using torches but still the fear of the lorries coming at speed. The Napoleon was lovely if you give yourself plenty of time walk slowly and enjoy the scenery.

I've walked the Napoleon about 20 times :😆:: but never taken the Valcarlos route.
Some day . . .

Last year, in early May, I took the Valcarlos route as I had gone the Napolean Way two years before. The Valcarlos Albergue was wonderful after walking from SJPP. And, even though it was the beginning of the busy season, there were only four of us that night, myself from Canada, one lady from USA and two young ladies from France. Very, very enjoyable all round.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last year, in early May, I took the Valcarlos route as I had gone the Napolean Way two years before. The Valcarlos Albergue was wonderful after walking from SJPP. And, even though it was the beginning of the busy season, there were only four of us that night, myself from Canada, one lady from USA and two young ladies from France. Very, very enjoyable all round.
Agree! A very nice experience and I loved the nice big bathroom, too!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I have walked both routes. The major differences are:

The start of the ValCarlos route is not as steep as the Napoleon route.

Valcarlos is 11 km's from SJPdP with accommodation.

There are restaurants and a grocery store in Val Carlos if you forgot anything.

The remainder of the route is steep but not as steep as the Napoleon.

Ultreya,
Joe

I have walked both routes. The major differences are:

The start of the ValCarlos route is not as steep as the Napoleon route.

Valcarlos is 11 km's from SJPdP with accommodation.

There are restaurants and a grocery store in Val Carlos if you forgot anything.

The remainder of the route is steep but not as steep as the Napoleon.

Ultreya,
Joe

And how many k from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles?
I have a client with bad knees. She doesn't want to attempt the Napoleon.
Would the Valcarlos route be any easier for her?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And how many k from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles?
I have a client with bad knees. She doesn't want to attempt the Napoleon.
Would the Valcarlos route be any easier for her?

Annie:

The section to Valcarlos is definitely easier. I would estimate 15km's to 17 km's to Roncesvalles. Difficulty from Valcarlos is about the same as Napoleon. I walked from SJPdP to Espinal the first day. Easy is in the mind of the walker. They could stick to the Highway and a taxi might be an option if to difficult.

Joe

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.