• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Valcarlos

Tony Maguire

Time of past OR future Camino
20th August 2014
I am planning on starting from SJPP 1st week in January. On my last winter camino I walked onto Roncesvalles. This time I plan on stopping overnight in Valcarlos. Does anyone know if there is an albergue in Valcarlos that takes reservations.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here is the Valcarlos albergue own info page
Do be aware that from Valcarlos up to Roncesvalles monastery on the route there are no shops/food trucks nor potabile water. Be prepared.

In winter weather when sleet or snow covers the camino path it is much safer/ easier to walk on the verges of route N 135.

To help with your winter plans check out this Winter Camino Frances Thread and all the included links within it.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please walk on the road after you leave Valcarlos .
If the weather has been kind you can enter the forest at the water fountain however because that distance is not great to Ronsc. I would stay on the road.

When we were taxiing to SJPP this year, I saw people walking on the highway.
Is the Valcarlos Route if you take the highway any longer than the Napoleon?
In all my years walking, I've never taken the Valcarlos route... maybe next season.

Here is the Valcarlos albergue own info page
Do be aware that from Valcarlos up to Roncesvalles monastery on the route there are no shops/food trucks nor potabile water. Be prepared.

In winter weather when sleet or snow covers the camino path it is much safer/ easier to walk on the verges of route N 135.

To help with your winter plans check out this Winter Camino Frances Thread and all the included links within it.
Ive done the route before in wintet

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Please walk on the road after you leave Valcarlos .
If the weather has been kind you can enter the forest at the water fountain however because that distance is not great to Ronsc. I would stay on the road.
Yes ive done the route in winter previously

When we were taxiing to SJPP this year, I saw people walking on the highway.
Is the Valcarlos Route if you take the highway any longer than the Napoleon?
In all my years walking, I've never taken the Valcarlos route... maybe next season.
Take the quiet country lanes and a bit of forrest out of StJPP and arrive @ Valcarlos.
Your follow river La Live d' Arneguy
Stay in any kind of accommodation you wish , the choices are yours .
Enjoy the ambiance in the local bars.
Next day road if wet , if dry the forrest floor.
Distance the same in my opinion [ 21-23 km ]
This is the way we go when commencing on the GR 65 from Le Puy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Take the quiet country lanes and a bit of forrest out of StJPP and arrive @ Valcarlos.
Your follow river La Live d' Arneguy
Stay in any kind of accommodation you wish , the choices are yours .
Enjoy the ambiance in the local bars.
Next day road if wet , if dry the forrest floor.
Distance the same in my opinion [ 21-23 km ]
This is the way we go when commencing on the GR 65 from Le Puy.
I walked the Valcarlos route beginning 8th April 2021 due to weather in the mountains. The trail over the mountain pass is rigorous after walking from SJPP to Valcarlos. If you decide on the forest versus the paved road after exiting Valcarlos, I definitely recommend spending the night in that locale. You be less fatigued climbing up the forested mountain pass.

I am planning on starting from SJPP 1st week in January. On my last winter camino I walked onto Roncesvalles. This time I plan on stopping overnight in Valcarlos. Does anyone know if there is an albergue in Valcarlos that takes reservations.
Hi , I stayed in Valcarlos in January 2019. Excelent municapal alpergue. One cannot make a reservation. No problem ! in January you'll more than likely have the whole place to yourself.
Fabulous walk over from SJPdP! You get the'' key code '' from the local Restaurant / Bar. The albergue has everything; pots, pans, stove , fridge, etc. Lot's of blankets; that time I didn't bring a sleeping bag. I was coming from Canada, and plus 8c to 12 c seemed warm to me; eh! Ontario
-9c to -15c , sometimes colder! Cheers; a lovely walk, Brendano.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Valcarlos route beginning 8th April 2021 due to weather in the mountains. The trail over the mountain pass is rigorous after walking from SJPP to Valcarlos. If you decide on the forest versus the paved road after exiting Valcarlos, I definitely recommend spending the night in that locale. You be less fatigued climbing up the forested mountain pass.
Well said
Yes a stop in Valcarlos is a must in the early months of the year ,
April is early spring .
Consider Australia's rain at this current time .....we are in Spring and the forests will be wet for a considerable time .
It does get a bit wet on the forested path.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.