• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Valença to Santiago de Compostela by bike

Flavioccastro

Time of past OR future Camino
January (20)
How the weather can affect in the middle January to go from Valença to Santiago de Compostela by bike?

My ideia is split the trip in 2 days to go to Santiago and the way back by bus or train.

It's possible?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Valenca to Santiago is possible in two days by bike (for someone who bikes, I would fall off within 10 meters). No idea about the weather in January though. I have walked in winter in Spain and the weather can be just about anything and everything. Not something you can plan for unfortunately. Galicia though, you can guarantee it's gonna rain!

If the weather gets bad I would switch from the trail to the nearest road. Good luck though and Buen Camino!

Davey

Thank you Davey for your help.

I know the weather is unpredictable, in reality I'm looking for people who have experienced the Camino in January, but I didn't find yet.

I'm looking for the option to leave from Porto too. My concern is how low the temperature is. I saw a grafic that show the past temperatures but I'm looking for people who have experienced the Camino in winter.

Thank you!

Regards.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No one has yet mentioned this, so I will be 'the spoiler.' The MINIMUM distance to qualify for a compostela for those making a pilgrimage on BICYCLE is 200 Kilometers, NOT 100 Kilometers. If you walk, it must be at least the final 100 km on any recognized route into Santiago. But if you are a two-wheeler, the minimum distance is 200 km.

If you do not desire a compostela, fine. But if you do, you need to start in Porto (@ 250 km) or not long after that.

Someone else may know the precise starting point to yield 200 km or more by the time you arrive at Santiago. Off the cuff, I am thinking perhaps Vilarinho or maybe Ponte de Lima. But DO NOT rely on my supposition. DO YOUR RESEARCH so as to not be disappointed.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your answer Andreo.

I know that, by bike 200 km is the minimum.

I'm looking for leave from Porto or maybe walk from Valença.

But for us, in reality, the experience is the most important thing, with or without the recognition of that.

Thank you for your help and reminder.

No problem. I just did not want you to arrive on bike, ask for a Compostela and be told no. it DOES happen. People do sometimes fail to read the directions...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's hard to find someone who did the Camino in January!

I read one guy who wrote he was the only person at the Camino in January!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back