• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Valença to Santiago

Ryane

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Portuguese: July 2015
Hi, I’m planning to do the Valença to Santiago route next month (arrive Porto July 9, a last minute decision which is typical of me). Camino de Portuguese sounds wonderful, but as much as I’d like to do it in its entirety, for me it’s quite impossible as I have quite a serious back problem. I’m able to walk quite easily, although never without some pain, but living in the Netherlands I don’t get much practice climbing hills (they don’t call it the ‘flatlands’ for nothing, so my first question is:
· How hilly/mountainous is it in this section, where and for what distance?
· Would a good pair of ‘trainers’ (runners/sneakers) be sufficient for this short distance? I was going to wear my hiking boots, but heard that it might not be necessary, (trying to keep my backpack as light as possible).
· How safe is it for a woman to walk alone? I’ve read that it’s quite busy here this time of year, but my pace would be slower and I would like some solitude at some stage. I ask about the safety because of the terrible news of a missing woman, (feared abducted) on the Camino de Frances very recently.
· Accommodation: Are there many/any options along the way for shorter distances (preferably albergues)? I would like to break my trek up, aiming for about 10-15 km’s per day as I’m not sure I could manage much more.
· Will I need a guide book or map for this short distance; is it will sign-posted? Because of my late decision I’m really unprepared for this and have no maps, guide books or anything yet, not even the pilgrims passport which I’ll need for the albergues as I’m on a strict budget. I’m hoping to get what I need in Porto, does anyone know if this is possible?
If anyone can help me with any of the above, or have any other advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. Ry

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We finished this route just over a week ago. People doing it in all sorts of footwear. If you're happy in trainers then they'll probably do just fine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Walli, that's really good to know. Were there many people? I was wondering about how safe it was too for walking alone.

Enough people but not too many. It was fabulous. Highly recommended. I am a woman in my 60's and I would not hesitate to walk it alone. Buen Camino.

Enough people but not too many. It was fabulous. Highly recommended. I am a woman in my 60's and I would not hesitate to walk it alone. Buen Camino.
Thanks again Walli, I'm no spring chicken myself, will celebrate my 60th when I get to Santiago and by the sounds of it a great way to celebrate! It's just my back that bothers me for walking the steep inclines/declines. Were they very steep? I guess if you say you can wear sneakers they can't be that bad eh!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't remember any particularly steep parts (unlike the Ingles!) Travel light and enjoy.
Thank you, that's a great relief and to think I was going to do the Ingles! Cheers and good luck to you on your next one..

Arrived in Santiago from Porto yesterday. Walked in sandals. Hubby wore trainers. Friend walked in sandals. Other friend started in boots but ended up in sandals due to blisters!

It is NOT Netherlands flat, it is undulating most of the way. A couple of steep descents but not mountainous. There are some pictures on my blog which you could take a look at if you like - I still intend to do a summary post about camino logistics, but probably not until I get on the plane to NZ on Friday!
One comment on safety. This camino was very different to the others I have walked in that it is almost always near "civilization"/built-up areas. This actually made the river trails and paths through woods feel more like somewhere that someone might be hiding behind the next bush than somewhere more remote.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you so much Kiwi family, that really was informative and much appreciated. Not sure I like the last sentence much.. ha, but I'm sure (hope) they'll be a few people around at some stage should I feel insecure. Thanks again and I'll be sure to check out your blog. Have a good trip back to NZ.

Hi, I’m planning to do the Valença to Santiago route next month (arrive Porto July 9, a last minute decision which is typical of me). Camino de Portuguese sounds wonderful, but as much as I’d like to do it in its entirety, for me it’s quite impossible as I have quite a serious back problem. I’m able to walk quite easily, although never without some pain, but living in the Netherlands I don’t get much practice climbing hills (they don’t call it the ‘flatlands’ for nothing, so my first question is:
· Would a good pair of ‘trainers’ (runners/sneakers) be sufficient for this short distance? I was going to wear my hiking boots, but heard that it might not be necessary, (trying to keep my backpack as light as possible).
· How safe is it for a woman to walk alone? I’ve read that it’s quite busy here this time of year, but my pace would be slower and I would like some solitude at some stage. I ask about the safety because of the terrible news of a missing woman, (feared abducted) on the Camino de Frances very recently.
· Accommodation: Are there many/any options along the way for shorter distances (preferably albergues)? I would like to break my trek up, aiming for about 10-15 km’s per day as I’m not sure I could manage much more.
· Will I need a guide book or map for this short distance; is it will sign-posted? Because of my late decision I’m really unprepared for this and have no maps, guide books or anything yet, not even the pilgrims passport which I’ll need for the albergues as I’m on a strict budget. I’m hoping to get what I need in Porto, does anyone know if this is possible?
If anyone can help me with any of the above, or have any other advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. Ry

In Dutch..

http://caminho-portuges-da-costa.reismee.nl

We walked the Caminho Portuguese twice and the Inglès once.

On this vid some impression on what it is like

Goede reis

Thanks again Walli, I'm no spring chicken myself, will celebrate my 60th when I get to Santiago and by the sounds of it a great way to celebrate! It's just my back that bothers me for walking the steep inclines/declines. Were they very steep? I guess if you say you can wear sneakers they can't be that bad eh!
Advisable is take walking poles with you. Some descents are fairly steep before Redondela.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked this route last month alone and felt very safe the entire time. When I got up and out early (7am or so) I saw many, many pilgrims throughout the day (most of them passing me as I am a slow walker). There were a couple of days where I started later and would see very few people. I enjoy walking alone, so it didn't bother me.

I walked in trail running shoes and they worked very well, there are a few sections where you walk over little streams, but enough paved road walking that shoes are completely appropriate.

I found the worst downhills to be the ones coming into Redondela. The road was so steep I ended up walking zig-zag down them and still had knee pain the following day (which made the hilly walk into Arcade difficult!). I was extremely glad to have my hiking poles those day. As far as the uphills, none as intense as the biggest on the English Route (which I happened to have walked earlier in the week since I skipped it last year when I walked the English Route), but a few had me wondering! One foot in front of the other and you get there!

Buen Camino!!

Photo of the walk down into Redondea to give you an idea: image.jpg

Between Valenca and Santiago there was only one climb that I remember. It was shortly after Arcade. Take it slow, stop for water breaks if it is warm.

The way is well signed, but I would still recommend a guidebook. You can download one (by a fellow forum member) using the Camino Resources tab.

You shouldn't have trouble finding someone to walk with. I walked mostly alone and was surprised at how many pilgrims were watching out for me. There were some I barely talked to who came up to me in Santiago and said they were concerned about whether or not I had made it.

You can pick up just about anything you need in Porto or Tui. Ask at the tourist office by the Porto cathedral for a list of albergues. You can buy a pilgrim passport there, too. Another member here made their own. Just make sure you get it stamped in Valenca or Tui if the Compostela is important to you.

Bom Caminho!

Thank you so much 'Utgaard' and 'mylifeonvacation' for this information. You've answered all of my questions brilliantly and I so appreciate it. I'll be sure to pick up some walking poles when I'm there, as yes I think I'll need them.
Thanks again and all the best to you and everyone else that has helped me with my queries.
Bom Caminho/Buen Camino everyone...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We just finished the Camino Portugues from Porto. The last few days were murderous because of the heat from 11 a.m. until late afternoon. We recommend starting from Barcelinos, because from Porto to this very nice town the cobblestones along housing without footpaths are exceedingly testing feet and safety. We did not meet with excessive pilgrim traffic and managed to avoid the classical waves of walkers. Thus, no problems with finding accommodation. Carry plenty of water !;)

We just finished the Camino Portugues from Porto. The last few days were murderous because of the heat from 11 a.m. until late afternoon. We recommend starting from Barcelinos, because from Porto to this very nice town the cobblestones along housing without footpaths are exceedingly testing feet and safety. We did not meet with excessive pilgrim traffic and managed to avoid the classical waves of walkers. Thus, no problems with finding accommodation. Carry plenty of water !;)
Thanks for the advice. I shall be starting from Valenca though; would love to do more, but can't. Well done to you though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back