• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Valenca/Tui- SDC

Bina

Hello, Piligrims
I would like to ask your recomendations and advices for our plan. We are two elderly women (57 and 68) and one young (28), which planned to arrive to Porto in late evening on Fridy -7 May, and leave from SDC on 18 of May, in the morning. We think, that saturday we will spend in Porto for sightseeing and looking for credentials.

In Sunday morning or later we will take bus or train (what better for looking around and cheaper, how many time need to reach Valenca?) till Valenca, look around and walk through international bridge till Tui, where we think to sleep in alleburgue.Have we stamp our credential in Valenca?

And only on Monday morning start our Camino from Tui (do we need to stamp leaving Tui??), doing one stage per day. Now we started our training, though we have quite enough good form, maybe we will do more stages if will be fine weather and so on.

We think, that on Saturday we will reach SDC (is it enough for Compostela to do one stage per day and how about stamps??), morning of Sunday visit Mass for piligrims, sightseeing of SDC, and Monday we will take bus till Finistere and Muxias, and on Tuesday we will depart.
What are you thinking about our plann?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
HI Bina

You can pick up your credencials from the Porto Cathedral for about 1Euro(?). The albergue in Tui didn't open til 5pm but this year may be different being a Holy Year. You must visit the citadel in Valenca (if time permits) before crossing the International Bridge. Here is a list of some of the towns with refugios/albergues to help you with your planning
TUI
PORRINO
MOS
REDONDELA
PONTEVEDRA
BRIALLOS
PADRON (23km from Santiago de Compostela)
TEO (11 km from SdC)
Sharon 8)

Hi Bina,
Train from Porto is the best way.
I would get to Valencia/Tui ASAP as you will get some rain.
Problem with Tui is on a saturday night they hava a disco, and thats next to the alberque.
There is an alberque on the bridge in Valencia.
Both are lovely and Tui is very friendly to pilgrims.

Enjoy the end part Bina and get on the train on the saturday after you get the crediantials at the cathedral.
No problems with staying in Tui after the train trip.
Good luck mate,
David

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you very much for your advices. Could you say also is it better in May walk with sandals or hiking shoes on Portugesse way?

[quote="Bina"(is it enough for Compostela to do one stage per day and how about stamps??)[/quote]

Hi Bina, The distance is enough for the compostella. If you have concerns about stamps / sellos, I suggest you get one each evening where you rest&sleep and also one other sello each day. However if you are an honest person and trust that others will treat you as they see you, then the sello from each night should suffice.
What's this about elderly at 57 and 68? :)
I plan to walk this route in early April, perhaps departing Valenca on Saturday, April 3rd.
Enjoy your planning.

Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bina said:
Have we stamp our credential in Valenca?

do we need to stamp leaving Tui??

is it enough for Compostela to do one stage per day and how about stamps??
Hi - It is good to get a stamp from your departure point. You can get a stamp on your credencial at the albergue and/or when walking down to the bridge to cross to Spain call in at the Tourist Office on the left hand side of the road. Or your hotel/hostal or restaurant you eat in.

To qualify for a Compostela you need to walk at least 100 kms to Santiago. It doesn't matter how many stages in which you do this. Just get a stamp wherever you sleep or when you pass a bar or tourist office or an albergue. You can get stamps in a lot of places. It is best to get two per day on your credencial if you can.

Most of all - enjoy it!

Buen Camino

John

crackmrmac said:
[quote="Bina"(is it enough for Compostela to do one stage per day and how about stamps??)

Hi Bina, The distance is enough for the compostella. If you have concerns about stamps / sellos, I suggest you get one each evening where you rest&sleep and also one other sello each day. However if you are an honest person and trust that others will treat you as they see you, then the sello from each night should suffice.
What's this about elderly at 57 and 68? :)
I plan to walk this route in early April, perhaps departing Valenca on Saturday, April 3rd.
Enjoy your planning.

Buen Camino.[/quote]
Dear Crackmrmac,
could you write, than you arive from the Camino?
Buen Camino in Easter!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can get sellos in many places other than alburgues or churches. Most hotels, bars, restaurants will be happy to stamp your credential. Ask for one whenever you stop for food or drink.

Hi Bina! Wishing you all the best, this was the route we shared with Rose Louise in 08! And lord was it wet that year. WIll pray that you get better weather. The train from Oporto to Valenca was easy and lovely. WE go our first sello at the train station in Valenca (and our first "official" photo of the "way") We found it easy to get some in the churches along the way, including in Padron.

Tales of the disco in Tui are not exagerations either!! But it also made for fantastic tales later! :roll:
Porrino is lovely, and I'll try and hunt up the address of the restaurant we ate in..and met Rose Louise and her gang face to face for the first time!

Wow does this bring back memories....

Dry socks...a must!!

Wishing a wonderful journey and any questions I might be able to help with..ask! From a semi elderly, 53 yr old!

Karin

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi ksam

I think the restaurant we met in was
MESóN MONDARIZ
Avenida Galicia, 12
36400 O Porriño
Tel. 986336506

Bina, have a great camino

Cheers Rose Louise

Hi,
There was a perfectly nice albergue next to the fire station (manned by very nice firemen!) in Valenca. Near to the citadel - I think on the left as you walk into town but I couldn't give you directions from the train station. Separate dorms for men and women, nice washing/kitchen facilities etc. If you wanted to stay there and start walking in Portugal? It also opened later in the day (5pmish?) but some firemen let us in early and even lent us the key to the back door so we could let ourselves in and out! :)

Albergue de S. Teotónio - Valença

Welcome to Portugal

DSC00921.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back