• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Valencia or Alicante?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We have gone to school in Santiago twice and can recommend Ira Flavia (school name). Less expensive than some of the other regions. Phil also went to school in Madrid last fall, but housing left a little to be desired. Good school though.

I have also heard Salamanca recommended by other friends who attended there and we have considered a school in Cadiz. No experience with other schools in the south except that they were more expensive when we were checking.

Valencia without a doubt. Or, if you like, Valencia sin duda....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I really enjoyed my two weeks at a school in Salamanca. It is generally thought to be a good place to learn as the castellano spoken locally is relatively "clean". (i mean, no local dialect, no other local language , clear pronunciation etc)
I'm sure any school in Valencia would be good and once accredited with Instituto Cervantes would follow the defined syllabus. The only thing is the locals may not be speaking castellano among themselves (valenciano is similar to catalán as far as i know) and so that might not be as helpful.

Which city would you choose to spend 2 weeks in to attend a Spanish language school? Any thoughts are welcome.
Valencia! It's a beautiful city with rich history and a lot of culture. Lot's of language schools.

Full disclosure: I live there. I didn't mean to, I went there to learn Spanish and fell in love with the place.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I must be the contrarian here. I would say Alicante. I spent two weeks there after my aborted Camino Levante last October, and loved it. I have only spent 2-3 days in Valencia, which is nice, so it may not be a fair comparison, but Alicante is the winner for me.

We have gone to school in Santiago twice and can recommend Ira Flavia (school name). Less expensive than some of the other regions. Phil also went to school in Madrid last fall, but housing left a little to be desired. Good school though.

I have also heard Salamanca recommended by other friends who attended there and we have considered a school in Cadiz. No experience with other schools in the south except that they were more expensive when we were checking.
I have housing available w a friend in Madrid...could you pls share name of the language school there that you liked?

He liked the faculty very much in Madrid, but was put off by the housing selections. The first place was inadequate with no desk or chair to study although his housemates were very agreeable and a bit older. No blanket for his bed. They did buy him a blanket and moved him to another apartment with a bigger room and a desk/chair, but he said his roommates were terrible housekeepers in the bathroom and kitchen. He is 71 and they put him in with a bunch of under 30-somethings and he did not like to have to wash a plate to eat something every day! To be fair, they were apparently very tight on housing in late October last year. They had great field trips to the various museums and activities every day.

We have always tried to book the room in a shared apartment option which gives us access to the kitchen, internet, laundry facilities, and a common area. In Santiago he had an entire apartment to himself for a month in 2018. In 2019 in Santiago the two of us had a double room in an apartment with 7 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. These places are always within walking distance and close to public transportation, shopping, and eateries. The school in Santiago is also near the old town. Good activities and tours in the area.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My daughter has received funding to attend Don Quixote language schoolthis summer. they have several locations in Spain, Madrid and Barcelona are out of her budget so looking at Valencia or Alicante, possibly Salamanca

Hi all! Anyone any recommendations for a a Spanish school in Valencia. Looking at 2 months, classroom, sort of beginner!!! Search yields a lot of impressive options but of course recommendation is always comforting! Mid level price i guess!

Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back