Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Valencia's opening after 3 months shutdown

JLWV

Jean-Luc
Year of past OR future Camino
Levante (2014-2016); Levante to Toledo (2017-2018), to be continued; Fisterra & Muxia (2018);
This morning the Amigos in Valencia opened for first time after the confinment, in an unusual atmosphere.

We were few members, as risky ones are excluded, same as those who have not specific work to do.
Two members were at the administrative desks, one at the door for orientation of visitors, and four to attend those visitors.

Shoes's soles sanitizing at the entry, hands sanitising, mask required.
Number of desks reduced, and those turned in order to have maximum separation between the pilgrim and his attender. Only one pilgrim by desk. No paper (folders, maps, list...) to be given, only oral information. Table and seat sanitized after each visit.

Nevertheless until 12:30, when I had to leave, we expended 30 credencials. Usual at this date is more than 100. I join a picture of office in June 2019 and of today.

More frequent question is: "Albergues". Really difficult to asnwer, as situation is moving daily, and can invert in case of new outbreaks of contamination. Only information available is for public ones. By the moment it is said that in Galicia they will open first of july. Some other albergues say they wil not open this year. On our way, Levante, we only have confirmation of opening of the albergues of Pobla Llarga and Castronuño. An information to be confirmed is that those of Toledo are closed. The nuns in Almansa are afraid and doubtfull. We have no information about private albergues and hostals.
Our recommendation is to ask directly some days before necessary.

What appears is an, apparent, increase in Levante's pilgrims; two bikers start it this week, and other next week, and two young French guys living in Valencia will start it during the week-ends. We interprete that starting at home avoids one travel in public transport, reducing so the risk of contamination.

Buen Camino
Jean-Luc 00 IMG-20190711-WA0000.jpg DSC_0037.JPG

Last edited:
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

alansykes

Veteran Member
Except the Francés
Thank you very much Jean-Luc, the two pictures are very revealing (and a bit depressing). A cousin of mine was planning to get married at Geldo in Castellón in early September and I was then hoping to start the Requena variant of the Lana, after visiting the place where another cousin died while working for the republic when Valencia was the government capital in 1937.

Not this year, clearly.

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
Thank you Jean-Luc. How lovely to see inside the office - especially on the day I was supposed to be arriving back in New Zealand after walking Valencia to Muxia (Levante and Invierno). I wish you all the best and still hope to make this walk some day.

handzondeck2

CF (x2); VdLP (x4); Portuguese (x2); Madrid (x2); S/Salvador, Primitivo, Ingles ('17) Camino 19 tba
Thanks Jean-Luc. Hopefully I can walk this camino again once all COVID-19 restrictions have relaxed. Lovely Camino and people. Buen Camino

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

peregrina2000

Staff member

JLWV

Jean-Luc
Levante (2014-2016); Levante to Toledo (2017-2018), to be continued; Fisterra & Muxia (2018);
Well, the few data I have given were obtained by phone-calls this week:
- La Pobla Llarga, open according to the Ayuntamiento
- El Toboso, is private and confirmed it is open (acts both as hostal and albergue)
- Medina del Campo, religious accommodation, confirmed is open
- Castronuño, open according to the Ayuntamiento
- Others closed
- In Almansa, according to a pilgrim we attended yesterday, a nun told him they open, but at a further call of the assotiation other nun told the are afraid and doubtfull.

I gave a link to a list of the Federación. This list only included the albergues that the member-associations control, and the status is the one indicated by them.

Public establishments will probably be prudent, and private ones needs to work...

Anyway, to the pilgrims who visit us, we highly recommend to check status directly with the albergues a few days before arriving, and always remind that this status may change quickly in case of outbreak.
When I walk I forget the medias, but in this moment it is important to keep in touch with the news to avoid surprises, and getting confined for an outbreak.

Last edited:

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings