• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Van or car transport from Paris (CDG) to St Jean PDP

Heather Anne

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017)
We (4 women) are arriving in Paris on September 1st. Is there a company that provides van/car transport to SJPDP instead of taking the train? We would like to see some of the countryside on the way. Is the cost about the same as the train and how long would it take?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Heather, I don't know anything about transport but when you find it it's about 850km. That will take you at least 10 hours.
The train is faster.

Wish you well,Peter.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We (4 women) are arriving in Paris on September 1st. Is there a company that provides van/car transport to SJPDP instead of taking the train? We would like to see some of the countryside on the way. Is the cost about the same as the train and how long would it take?
Hi,
we are a taxi company and we are driving a lot of pilgrims from Biarritz airport or train station to Saint Jean Pied de Port.
the best way from Paris is to fly, or take the train to see the scenery, and it will be cheaper than a transfer in a van.
last summer, we went to pick up some people in Paris in our van to go to a destination near Biarritz, the price was over 800€ and it took about 9 hours for the drive.

Is renting a car and driving yourselves out of the question?

Once you're out of Paris it's really not difficult. And that's the way to do more than "see" the countryside through the window of a train or bus. Stay in country inns in small towns, stretch your legs when the scenery calls to you, etc.

I realize there are many variables, including time and money and adventurousness, but if you can drive I'm pretty sure you'll know you made the right decision by Chartres.

Piece of cake in a rental car, and yes, you can stop in some interesting place for lunch or overnight, but why? The train whizzes you past interesting countryside and you don't have the hassle of finding a rental company where you can return you car in SJPdP, in fact I doubt one exists there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Heather Anne, I don't know where you will be travelling from, but in the UK I have always booked my train travel with SNCF Voyages. The bargain tickets go on sale approximately 3 months ahead, so for a journey 1 September, start looking at the end of may. That way, you and your friends can get to travel first class for more or less the same price as standard, enjoy a bottle of wine and the views as you pass by. The TGV journey is relaxing and fast. Buen Camino!

First, I wouldn't bother booking a ticket ahead of time unless you're on a tight schedule.
Often (but not always) tickets are much less expensive at the station.

Second, I'm with Whari. Take a bus.
I love love LOVE the bus much more than the train.
Beautiful big Mercedez Benz buses with HUGE viewing windows and nice comfie seats -- and QUIET compared to the train.
Yup... I vote for the bus.

If the OP was travelling through Spain I would agree with you Anniesantiago, but prices for rail fares in France tend to be very much more expensive the later you leave it to book especially on a route like Paris to Biarritz, and the TGV is luxurious and quiet with wonderful vistas. For those who enjoy travelling by rail, the Paris to Barcelona route takes some beating, especially the last stretch of the journey when the Pyrenees come into view. I love Alsa buses but in France it is the TGV for me everytime.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
First, I wouldn't bother booking a ticket ahead of time unless you're on a tight schedule.
Often (but not always) tickets are much less expensive at the station.

Second, I'm with Whari. Take a bus.
I love love LOVE the bus much more than the train.
Beautiful big Mercedez Benz buses with HUGE viewing windows and nice comfie seats -- and QUIET compared to the train.
Yup... I vote for the bus.

Just to clarify, my post was to respond to a request for a van or car with driver option to get from Paris to SJPdP.

If I were traveling from Paris to SJPdP ... it'd be by train.

Piece of cake in a rental car, and yes, you can stop in some interesting place for lunch or overnight, but why? The train whizzes you past interesting countryside and you don't have the hassle of finding a rental company where you can return you car in SJPdP, in fact I doubt one exists there.
There's no need to make this difficult. You'd return the car where you can return the car. Bayonne or Biarritz.

And my point would be to experience something more than "whizzes". You can do that on YouTube.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Greetings! I will be traveling with my daughter to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto in July. The dates are a bit flexible, but not completely so. I’ve been researching flight tickets, and...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back