• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Variante Espiritual Extra Distance

Washie

Time of past OR future Camino
CP Coastal/Central 2019/22/23
CF 2020
Muxia 2023
Hello all. Can anyone tell me how much longer is the Variante Espiritual than the normal route on the Camino Portugues? Short for time but have been told this route is worth it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello all. Can anyone tell me how much longer is the Variante Espiritual than the normal route on the Camino Portugues? Short for time but have been told this route is worth it.
If I'm doing my math right, the Spiritual Variant, Pontevedre to Padrón, is roughly 80 km, counting the 28 km boat trip from Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecesures. The central route, Pontevedre to Padrón by way of Caldas de Reis, is just short of 50. So, while you can do the Central easily in 2 days, the SV requires a minimum of 3 days because of the need to set aside a morning for the boat trip up the Ulla River on the last day. My wife and I actually did it in 5 days to enjoy the scenery along the way and spend a night in the Armenteira Monastery so we think the SV is well worth it. Others have expressed contrary opinions, which is what makes these Forum discussions interesting.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you ask it for reasons of the Certificate of distance which you can apply for at the Pilgrims Office in Santiago.
( costs 3 €) you do not get the Variante Espiritual to be mentioned on.

The Pilgrims Office has three official distances for the Caminho Português , counted from Porto.
the central caminho (Porto by Barcelos and Valença) 240 kms
the coastal caminho (Porto by Caminha and Baiona ) 280 kms
a mix of the coastel and central route ( Porto by Vila do Conde to Barcelos or Porto by Vila do conde and Caminha to Valença 260 km.

If I'm doing my math right, the Spiritual Variant, Pontevedre to Padrón, is roughly 80 km, counting the 28 km boat trip from Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecesures. The central route, Pontevedre to Padrón by way of Caldas de Reis, is just short of 50. So, while you can do the Central easily in 2 days, the SV requires a minimum of 3 days because of the need to set aside a morning for the boat trip up the Ulla River on the last day. My wife and I actually did it in 5 days to enjoy the scenery along the way and spend a night in the Armenteira Monastery so we think the SV is well worth it. Others have expressed contrary opinions, which is what makes these Forum discussions interesting.
We are leaving Porto on May 13th, and are considering doing the Spiritual Variant. We wouldn't take ferry, but walk from Vilagarcia de Arousa to Padron. Only problem is that its 36 km. A bit to far for us in 1 day. So we would like to stay in Catoira, however there are no alberges, and limited hotels that I can see. Do you know much about accomo in Catoira. Thanks

We are leaving Porto on May 13th, and are considering doing the Spiritual Variant. We wouldn't take ferry, but walk from Vilagarcia de Arousa to Padron. Only problem is that its 36 km. A bit to far for us in 1 day. So we would like to stay in Catoira, however there are no alberges, and limited hotels that I can see. Do you know much about accomo in Catoira. Thanks
Don't have any personal knowledge about that but have seen discussions about doing this walk in previous threads about the Spiritual Variant. Maybe try using the search function above?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We just completed our Camino-taking the Spiritual Variante-and we didn’t take the boat. The Camino is barely marked. And we could find no place with stamps. But we did get our Compostela.

You will not regret taking this variant! Monastery has amazing museum and art work, with beds for pilgrims. Convent has nightly vesper. Scenery is amazing. With the boat trip to Pardon it takes the same amount of time. Then 25k to SdC. Try to get a room at the Hope House in Villanova with Alfonso and Debee. Highlight of our walk!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We stayed in Catoria on April 26th at the Harpazul Apts, modern and expensive but only place open in February when we booked. The few hotels before you reach Catoria may be open now. This area is beautiful but not pilgrim friendly.

Great. These responses have confirmed to me that I would really like to do the Variante Espiritual. I have previously walked from Vigo to Santiago so it will make that part of the journey different. The problem is I am very greedy and want to see it all! I want to walk from Porto to Santiago by the Senda Litoral, then by the coastal path before joining the central in Redondela or Porrino. The problem is I only have 13 days walking and I know from my previous Camino that 18kms - 20 kms a day is right for me, my feet and taking in the surroundings slowly. If I walk the central route I can do Porto to Santiago in one go but it will be late June so would like to be by the ocean. If I walk Porto via the Senda Litoral and via the Variante Espiritual, what should I leave out in order to take a bus to save time? I was thinking of starting in Matosinhos or if there is somewhere 10km north of it to save around 15km? I was also thinking of taking a bus, if there is one from Baiona to Porrino? I don't mind missing Vigo as I've been there twice before and I will be in Porto for a day and a half after Santiago. Does anyone have ideas how to fit it all into 13 days walking?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back