• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Variante Espiritual - Just Back

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What a great update on the Variante Espiritual, it is on my want-very-much-to-do list. I did the PC in 2014 and I have only fond memories from my Camino.
Enjoy your days on the Camino Frances!
Buen Camino.

Dear @MendiWalker ~ Thank you for this wonderful account of your camino. Happy you had what sounds like a great walk! I'd like to walk the Variante Espiritual again and hopefully be able to take the boat trip. It had broken down the day we arrived. Would also like to stay at the Monastery of Herbon next time.

So interesting to read of your encounter with President Rajoy. Walking the Ruta de la Piedra y del Agua last summer, 2 men (not pilgrims) passed us saying good morning as they passed. A little later at the end of the route we stopped for coffee at a bar. The same 2 men came in and sat at the table next to us. One of them nodded and asked how our camino was. Later that night at the albergue in Vilanova de Arousa, a young Spanish pilgrim who had also been in the cafe said that we had been talking to President Rajoy! Quite the surprise!

Wishing you and your lovely wife fair weather days on the Camino Frances. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi !!!!
Soo happy to read that you did el variante espiritual - !!! We are planning to walk the portugues on 2017 , so I really would love to hear from you about the difficulty to walk it and the signals , I read in another page that it is not a good idea, that doesn't have good marks ( yellow arrows) to follow, even that in some points you are not sure if you are going or coming back, Did you started at pontevedra ? How many days it's took you to get at Padron?? I hope you don't mind to answer me ;-) --!
Ps: did you did reservation in advance at the places where you was thinking to stay overnight ?
Thank you sooo much in advance

Mayte

Hi MendiWalker, I am pretty sure we met in Teo?? :) I was with my son Staszek. I will be back on Camino in September. This time we are going to walk coastal from Porto. Could you please be so kind advise on where you stayed overnight when left Porto? And more about Espiritual? In fact I would be very, very grateful for listing all your stages from Porto. Just names of the places.
It was really nice to meet you on the way :)
Anna

Hi !!!!
Soo happy to read that you did el variante espiritual - !!! We are planning to walk the portugues on 2017 , so I really would love to hear from you about the difficulty to walk it and the signals , I read in another page that it is not a good idea, that doesn't have good marks ( yellow arrows) to follow, even that in some points you are not sure if you are going or coming back, Did you started at pontevedra ? How many days it's took you to get at Padron?? I hope you don't mind to answer me ;-) --!
Ps: did you did reservation in advance at the places where you was thinking to stay overnight ?
Thank you sooo much in advance

Mayte
Hola

Here are some information about the route.
It take minimum 2 days to walk and it is well marked and first day is uphill.
Bring water and food and you will be fine.
About the second day it feels like it is longer than statet in the brochure, but it is an easier day than the first day.
I found the boat trip okay but I do think to many pilgrims were in the boat and not with enough life vests.
I hope more attention will be put into this by the local goverment.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Attachments

• Variante Espiritual.pdf
    328 KB · Views: 58
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola

Here are some information about the route.
It take minimum 2 days to walk and it is well marked and first day is uphill.
Bring water and food and you will be fine.
About the second day it feels like it is longer than statet in the brochure, but it is an easier day than the first day.
I found the boat trip okay but I do think to many pilgrims were in the boat and not with enough life vests.
I hope more attention will be put into this by the local goverment.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo
Thank you so much for your help !!! It's really helping us to see which way we are walking - no problems to get place to sleep???

Thank you so much for your help !!! It's really helping us to see which way we are walking - no problems to get place to sleep???

Hola

I had no problem but the albergue in Armenteira could fill up, it got about 20 beds, so get an early start, use your camino instinct to predict problems and be ready to act accordingly.
You can also visit the tourist information in Pontevedra and have them call the albergue before you leave the city to get an idea how many are visiting in the week you are walking,

If the albergue/sports hall is filled in Vilanova then this is a larger city with other options for lodging.
Do remember that it is the hospitalero at the albergue that sell the boat tickets the day prior, so if you are not staying there visit it to buy the ticket 19 Euro (summer 2016).

I submit some jpegs as it came to my attention that some people wanted instead of pdf's.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo
Variante espiritual 2.jpg Variante espiritual 1.jpg

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back