• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Variante Espiritual over the Christmas holidays

HermanTheGerman

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances '13, '14; Portuguese '13, '14, '17, '18; del Salvador '15; Primitivo '15; Mozarabe '16
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has done the Variante Espiritual between Christmas and New Year's Eve? If so, I'd like to know the following:
  • Has anyone had problems with accommodation at either of the albergues in Armenteira or Vilanova de Arousa?
  • Has anyone had problems catching the boat(s) to Padron during this Christmas holiday period?
  • Or, does everything along this route simply close during this period?
Thanks in advance.

The German.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
[So happy you asked this as I need this info too! I may opt for a winter walk! Burn camino!

Well, it would appear that coaxing diamonds out of chickens would be easier that finding out this information…

Neither of these albergues seem to have websites or email contact addresses and all the search engines so far have yielded absolutely no results as to the prices, opening times, holiday periods or any other useful information apart from the .kml file with elevations and distances etc.

Based on my previous Portuguese winter experiences, the municipal albergues will remain open, while the private albergues close during the Christmas period. Some of the notable municipal albergues that were open in the past over the Christmas holiday period were Sau Pedro de Rates, Tamel (Portela), Ponte de Lima, Tui, Redondela and the fab albergue in Valga.

I’m assuming that the albergue in Armenteira is a municipal albergue, BUT, if I can’t confirm that the albergues will be open, then I’m certainly not going to take my chances and blindly walk out there hoping for the best, not in winter anyway. This is precisely why I continued walking past the turn-off out of Pontevedra the last 2 Portuguese winter caminos, especially after calling the telephone numbers without success. Perhaps the next Portuguese winter camino will be similar. o_O

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Herman, have you tried asking either the Via Lusitana or AGACS, the Gallego Association of the Camino? I think they both have a way to contact them via their web pages. Worth a try if you haven't already done it. Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for the tip. I have submitted these questions above via both websites, but I'm not holding my breath. From past experience, return correspondence is rarely made.

John Brierly's latest edition (2016) of Camino Portugues, turned up yesterday in the post. I quickly ripped open the package and flipped forward to this stage with bated breath. Although the Variante Espiritual is now indicated on the inside cover overview map, there does not appear to be any written material on the subject. :-( I did read somewhere that he recommends walking in winter, so perhaps he's had the same problem?

Anyway, I still have my fingers crossed.

Bom caminho,

Herman

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola Herman

The CSJ Pilgrim Guide to the Camino Portuguese from Oporto - Santiago includes full walking notes for the Variante Espiritual. It is available here and also on Kindle from Amazon where you live.

In Galicia you can assume that the municipal albergues will be open all year round unless there are specific circumstances. However as far as the boat ride is concerned I have my doubts to be honest. This is a commercial enterprise which only runs when there are sufficient pilgrims. The person who will know the answer to your questions about winter opening asnd the boat in particular is Celestino Lores the Chair of the Amigos Association in Pontevedra. This is the email I have for him: camiport@yahoo.es ; If no reply let me know and I'll see what else I can find out.

Best regards

John

Hola Herman

The CSJ Pilgrim Guide to the Camino Portuguese from Oporto - Santiago includes full walking notes for the Variante Espiritual. It is available here and also on Kindle from Amazon where you live.

In Galicia you can assume that the municipal albergues will be open all year round unless there are specific circumstances. However as far as the boat ride is concerned I have my doubts to be honest. This is a commercial enterprise which only runs when there are sufficient pilgrims. The person who will know the answer to your questions about winter opening asnd the boat in particular is Celestino Lores the Chair of the Amigos Association in Pontevedra. This is the email I have for him: camiport@yahoo.es ; If no reply let me know and I'll see what else I can find out.

Best regards

John

Hola John,

Excellent, thanks for the information. The CSJ guide has officially been added to my shopping list. :)

Yes the municipal albergues in the past had all been open, which is what I will need to base my new itinerary on, but we all know how plans change... I was thinking the same in regards to the boat to Padron, but I will get in contact with Celestino to make sure. If it is indeed possible in winter I would very much like to walk this route.

Cheers and best regards,

Herman

Herman - just thinking further, you can of course walk the stage instead of taking the boat - which is what I've done in the past. I think you'll find accommodation but please be careful on the 24th and 25th December when most restaurants etc close or close early.

Buen Camino

John

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Herman - just thinking further, you can of course walk the stage instead of taking the boat - which is what I've done in the past. I think you'll find accommodation but please be careful on the 24th and 25th December when most restaurants etc close or close early.

Buen Camino

John

If I were to walk the 27km from Vilanova de Arousa to Padron, it might make things a little tight and I'd be scarificing my only rest day in SdC, but entirely doable (providing I don't end up with gastro again). The more I think about what you said, the more I think that it would be necessary to factor it in and count on not being able to catch the boat, but who knows, let's see. And, that's something else I was wondering about; the 24th and 25th out on the camino... I do always have an emergency supply of food with me, but stocking up prior would be a good idea. Maybe an extra external backpack pocket will suffice for a Chrissy bottle of red me thinks... ;-)

Buen Camino,

Herman

Herman - if you aren't concerned about Compostela rules you could always walk to Villagarcia and get the train to Padron or indeed SDC.

Things will be open on the 24th in my experience. However everything closes in the very early evening as families gather for the meal of Noche Buena.

Herman - if you aren't concerned about Compostela rules you could always walk to Villagarcia and get the train to Padron or indeed SDC.

Things will be open on the 24th in my experience. However everything closes in the very early evening as families gather for the meal of Noche Buena.

Well I guess arriving by train in Padron is really no different than arriving by boat or jet ski for that matter ;-). That's certainly a plan B option although it appears to be too early to find any timetables. I love having plan Bs!

I definitely do want to walk into SdC as it's always an amazing feeling and surely worth it. I do also want to check out an alternative route, but I'd have to get a bit further up the river from Padron to Pontevea somehow and try the GR94. You can see it on this wonderful online map that I found:

http://www.wanderreitkarte.de/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, the timetables have now been posted

The timetables for the train from Vilagarcia de Arousa to Pontecesures are now available:

https://venta.renfe.com

06.02 06.19 17 min. REGIONAL
Turista Adulto ida

07.47 08.05 18 min. REGIONAL
Turista Adulto ida

10.35 10.53 18 min. REGIONAL
Turista Adulto ida

12.00 12.16 16 min. REGIONAL
Turista Adulto ida

13.20 13.38 18 min. REGIONAL
Turista Adulto ida

15.20 15.36 16 min. REGIONAL
Turista Adulto ida

16.00 16.18 18 min. REGIONAL
Turista Adulto ida

19.14 19.32 18 min. REGIONAL
Turista Adulto ida

So, the train is a goer even if the boat(s) aren't operating. €2.25 is a lot cheaper than the €16.50 they want for the boat.

The 24th this year is on a Sunday, which may mean having to stock up the day before.

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has done the Variante Espiritual between Christmas and New Year's Eve? If so, I'd like to know the following:
  • Has anyone had problems with accommodation at either of the albergues in Armenteira or Vilanova de Arousa?
  • Has anyone had problems catching the boat(s) to Padron during this Christmas holiday period?
  • Or, does everything along this route simply close during this period?
Thanks in advance.

The German.

Hi there,

I am planning to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and planing to do the Varisnte starting on the 26.
My friends did it last year, and the boat was operating.
I hope to see you somewhere on the Camino.

Texas guy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back