• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Variante Espiritual

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have 1 request and 1 question.

The request :

Is it possible to start a group of its own or a sub group under the Camino Portugues and regroup all the posts regarding this route?

The question :

If one walks this route is one eligible for a Compostela as it includes part by boat?

I thank you all for your replies in advance.:)

Ondo Ibili !
As far I understood the boattrip is a part of the caminho Português Variante Espiritual .
A friend of mine walked from Pontevedra and got his Compostela.
The boattrip is the only camino maritime as the captain of the boat called it.

It is a good idea to make a subgroup Variante Espiritual under the caminho Português.

If I knew how to do it, I would, but I'm not the techhie in the moderators' group, as you probably know. But I've alerted them to the question, and I will be happy to move all the threads once it's set up.

BTW, I definitely remember some conversation about this alternative, and seem to recall a post by JohnnieWalker saying that the camino would not qualify for the compostela since you would not have walked the last 100 kms. I can't find it now, but will keep searching. Of course, that doesn't mean Albertinho is wrong that his friend got a compostela after doing it, just that maybe no one in the pilgrims' office noticed! Laurie

p.s. Sil didn't think it qualifies either: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lgrimmage-town-2-town-coasta.4345/#post-24269

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Mendi, the problem isn't the total number of kms, it's the fact that for the compostela you need to walk the last 100. The boat interrupts that, so even if you've walked from southern Portugal, according to the rules you wouldn't qualify. But my guess is that this will not be a big issue when it comes to actually getting the compostela, if indeed anyone even notices.

Thanks for answering my question now if the administrator and mods would open a group or subgroup it would be great.

My wife and I are thinking of walking and sailing this Camino next year.

Ondo Ibili !
Bom caminho

It is a great caminho. We made it in May this year

@peregrina2000

I know the rule, it´s the reason for my question. Regarding the people at the Pilgrim Office they haven´t looked at our face in the last two years ( after the big change ). It seems they are more "business oriented " nowadays ( but that would be another topic to talk about).

Ondo Ibili !
Hi, Mendi, I know the compostela rules aren't based exclusively on logic, but I've been thinking about what you said. And I think you've got a good case for a compostela. The 100 km rule seems to entitle you to a compostela for any 100 km stretch you have walked, irrespective of your starting point (as you showed with your Santiago-Finisterre circle this year), so long as your final point is Santiago. So, if you have walked a total of more than 100 kms into Santiago, it shouldn't matter that there was one gap in those kms between point A and point B in order for you to cross a body of water. There are many parts on the Norte, for instance, where you have to take a boat, Those places are all farther than 100 km from Santiago so it doesn't really matter for purposes of the rule, but I think that the idea is the same -- pilgrims can't swim these distances, so when you get to the water, you have to take a boat or use a bridge.

It may be that the earlier discussion we both remember was based on an assumption that the pilgrims would count the "distance in a boat" as part of their 100 kms. Well, you can be the test case on this! Bom caminho, Laurie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks for starting a new sub group regarding the Variante Espiritual.

Now if someone could relocate all those threads about it.

Ondo Ibili !
Hi, Mendi, I have moved a few, and split one of Albertinho's threads. There are other mentions of "variante espiritual" in posts, but in my judgment the posts belong where they are because they aren't really dedicated to the variante espiritual. But if you find a post that you think belongs there, just pm me and I'll move it.

Hi, Mendi, I know the compostela rules aren't based exclusively on logic, but I've been thinking about what you said. And I think you've got a good case for a compostela. The 100 km rule seems to entitle you to a compostela for any 100 km stretch you have walked, irrespective of your starting point (as you showed with your Santiago-Finisterre circle this year), so long as your final point is Santiago. So, if you have walked a total of more than 100 kms into Santiago, it shouldn't matter that there was one gap in those kms between point A and point B in order for you to cross a body of water. There are many parts on the Norte, for instance, where you have to take a boat, Those places are all farther than 100 km from Santiago so it doesn't really matter for purposes of the rule, but I think that the idea is the same -- pilgrims can't swim these distances, so when you get to the water, you have to take a boat or use a bridge.

It may be that the earlier discussion we both remember was based on an assumption that the pilgrims would count the "distance in a boat" as part of their 100 kms. Well, you can be the test case on this! Bom caminho, Laurie

The Variante Espiritual do caminho Português is the so called only in the world caminho maritime.As I have been told. As supposed the (dead) body of St.James was brought on land nearby where is now the mouth of the Umia river, leading to Pontecessures and Padrón and taken to the place where now is the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela.
The on land trip, the so called ruta de Salnés starts just 3 kms out of Pontevedra direction Caldas de Reis and follows an ascending route to the monasteries of Poia and Armenteiro.
Included is a 7 kms long medieval path ,called the ruta de pedras e de agua following a wild river and medieval watermills .
At the end of this path is the village of Barrantes and from there the ruta starts through a moderate rural area to the beaches of the ria de Arousa ,where in Vila Nova de Arousa the boattrip to Pontecessures starts.

Believing the waymarkers and signs ,you can walk it in two stages .day one from Pontevedra to the albergue in Armenteiro and next day to Vila Nova de Arousa , a distance in total of about 45 kms.
However after some research locally we found out that you can walk it in shorter stages. The first day we walked from Pontevedra to Combarro at the beachside of the Arousa ria. From there to Armenteira and the ruta de Pedras e de agua where at the very end is a guesthouse, os Castaños. From there the last stage to Vila Nova de Arousa..
The next maritime stage is not predictable due to the tide of the ocean.
We could sail at noon but there is a chance that you sail later on the day or even the next day. In Vila Nova de Arousa is a kind of albergue in as been told a sportcenter. The boattrip itself takes you in less than an hour to Pontecessures from where you reach Padrón in half an hour.the boattrip costed us 16€ per person and is spectacular.desadvantage -not particular for me -I speak spanish- is that the captain of the boat only speaks spanish .he gives a lot of information about the environs and the caminho maritime.

You have to reserve the boattrip on before hand. For the moment I cannot find the phonenumber but I think it will show up soon here on this subforum by others.
If not I have to consult my paperwork again.
The boat can carry up to six pilgrims plus their backpacks.

The ruta de Salnés/Variante Espiritual is higly recommended.

Bom caminho

My video, posted earlier but one more time to have an impression on what it is like.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you read the thread I started you'll find more information to go with what Albertinho has posted. I'll be up there again in a couple of weeks' time, as my wife now wants to walk the Variante Espiritual.

I've read your posts. Thank a lot for the info.

I'm looking forward to your future posts about this Camino.

Ondo Ibili!

This is a beautiful detour from the more and more overcrowded Camino Portugués.

As Albertinho has said, the stages from Pontevedra to Vilanova de Arousa are probably best divided into two (Pontevedra to Armenteira, Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa) or three (Pontevedra to Combarro, Combarro to Ribadumia, Ribadumia to Vilanova de Arousa).

It's well worth having a break at the incredible monastery in Poio, before you drop down to the ría and Combarro. I would also take some time to explore the marvellous fishing village of Combarro, instead of following the arrows and heading uphill as soon as you get into the village.

I was a bit crazy and did Pontevedra to Ribadumia on the first day! The walk up from Combarro to Armenteira is pretty tough, especially if it's a hot day.

If you stop in Ribadumia I would definitely spend the night in the Hospedaxe Os Castaños, right at the end of the Ruta da Pedra e Auga. Lovely people, great accommodation, fantastic (and cheap) food.

Please ask me for any more details about the route, as I have all the relevant telephone numbers.

@Charrito

Thanks a lot my friend. I´ll be contacting you some time in the future as this will probably be our Camino next year. My wife and I walked the Camino Portugues de la Costa but next year we´ll walk the Camino Portugues del Interior and take the variante Espiritual in Pontevedra. The only doubt I have is to walk on to Hebron or stay in Padron as before. But I still have a year to decide.

Ondo Ibili !
To get from the Camino Interior to Pontevedra is quite a detour.
The Interior leads through the east side of Portugal and connects to the camino de Via de Plata direction Ourense .
Maybe you mean the camino central from Porto via Barcelos ,Ponte de Lima and Valença do Minho /Tui which leads to Pontevedra ?

Padrón and Herbon is matter of a detour of 3 kms
Coming from the end of the Variante Espiritual by boat at the quay in Pontecessures it is a 3 km walk to Padrón . You have to go over a bridge and shortly after there are the signs for the detour to the monastero de Herbon.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We'll be 'sailing' next Saturday, presuming we get to Vilanova de Arousa!!!!!!

Stopping in Combarro (the small cheap hostal you stayed at, Albertinho), Ribadumia and Vilanova.

Very go
We'll be 'sailing' next Saturday, presuming we get to Vilanova de Arousa!!!!!!

Stopping in Combarro (the small cheap hostal you stayed at, Albertinho), Ribadumia and Vilanova.
very good ! You won't regret it. Combarro is a nice place.
Bom camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is a beautiful detour from the more and more overcrowded Camino Portugués.

As Albertinho has said, the stages from Pontevedra to Vilanova de Arousa are probably best divided into two (Pontevedra to Armenteira, Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa) or three (Pontevedra to Combarro, Combarro to Ribadumia, Ribadumia to Vilanova de Arousa).

It's well worth having a break at the incredible monastery in Poio, before you drop down to the ría and Combarro. I would also take some time to explore the marvellous fishing village of Combarro, instead of following the arrows and heading uphill as soon as you get into the village.

I was a bit crazy and did Pontevedra to Ribadumia on the first day! The walk up from Combarro to Armenteira is pretty tough, especially if it's a hot day.

If you stop in Ribadumia I would definitely spend the night in the Hospedaxe Os Castaños, right at the end of the Ruta da Pedra e Auga. Lovely people, great accommodation, fantastic (and cheap) food.

Please ask me for any more details about the route, as I have all the relevant telephone numbers.

Hi there, would you be able to share with me the number for the fisherman to cross by boat?

Thanks!

Hi there, would you be able to share with me the number for the fisherman to cross by boat?

Thanks!
They're NOT fishermen!Variante Espiritual September 2016 244.JPG

Alberto is the guy in charge of everything at Vilanova, though he's seldom around! His phone number is 0034 616 701798. He will ALWAYS get back to you if he can't answer.

Joaquín is one of the pilots. You can find him on 0034 616 608076.

Marta is the lovely hospitalera and you'll find her in the albergue (from 16.00 onwards). Her phone number is 0034 618 810657.

Could you please give me the name and address of the cheap hostel you talk about in Combarro
Albertinho

Thank you
Kiwi Cathy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
FYI, on July 7 2017 my walking partner and I took the Variante Espriritual from Arcade to Armenteira. The next day into Vilanova de Arousa to catch the boat at 1400 to Pardon, we then walked to Faramello. We both received our compostella with no questions or problem on July 9th.
There was 70 pilgrims on the boat and I am sure each received their compostella!
PS, All but 6 of the pilgrims where with a tour group.

I took the Variante Espriritual from Arcade to Armenteira.
From Arcade? Where does the path go? You bypassed Pontevedra completely? I know there is a different way out of Pontevedra, that goes more directly to Poio, but directly from Arcade, how does that work?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
FYI, on July 7 2017 my walking partner and I took the Variante Espriritual from Arcade to Armenteira. The next day into Vilanova de Arousa to catch the boat at 1400 to Pardon, we then walked to Faramello. We both received our compostella with no questions or problem on July 9th.
There was 70 pilgrims on the boat and I am sure each received their compostella!
PS, All but 6 of the pilgrims where with a tour group.
70 on the boat?? Just as well I walked this route (twice) before it started to become popular. Both times there was just a handful of us.

From Arcade? Where does the path go? You bypassed Pontevedra completely? I know there is a different way out of Pontevedra, that goes more directly to Poio, but directly from Arcade, how does that work?
We started our day walking from Arcade, then made the turn where the Variante branched off north of Pontevedra.

70 on the boat?? Just as well I walked this route (twice) before it started to become popular. Both times there was just a handful of us.
It wasn't that bad, they served wine and mussels, which as I am sure you know they cultivate locally.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just back from walking from Vigo to Santiago via Variante Espiritual. Variante is a lovely walk, well marked and highly recommended. The boat from Vilanova de Arousa costs €19 and well worth it. Dave and Mag

Back