• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Variante Espiritual

Alidax

Time of past OR future Camino
Northern Way July 2013
Hi All, just got back from the Variante Espiritual. I decided to walk that way because I had enough of the bed race that seemed to be the case from Tui. You can get more information in the Tourist Office in Pontevedra, they will give you maps.

The route followed the traditional Camino Portugues for 2 km after the Burgos River Bridge then there was a big sign to indicate the start of this route by a bridge. The whole route is well signed, we didn't have any problem following it. On the first day it took us over a hill with lots of forest walking and I assume the view is lovely however it was raining and foggy all day long while we were walking so unfortunately we didn't see anything.

When you get to Armenteira go to the Monastery. Right in front of it there's a cafe where they will give you a key and give a ring to Antonio, the hospitalero. The albergue costs 6 euros. Be aware that there's no supermarket in Armenteira but you can buy a quick bite in the cafe or in the restaurant they are happy to make dinner if you want for a group of people. I can recommend the pulpo! The albergue has about 20 places (I think) but this route is so unknown that we were only 7 of us there. Apparently the most they had this year was 12 but usually they only get 4 or 5 pilgrims per day.

Antonio is very helpful and will call the boat for you to ask about the leaving time which depends on the tide so it's different every day.

On the next day we slept in, woke up and walked to Vilanova de Arousa. The first part of this route is called 'La ruta del agua y piedra' and this was the most beautiful bit I have walked in Spain and it's saying a lot!!! If you want there's an albergue in Vilanova as well and if the weather is good you can go to the beach in the afternoon. We took the boat after we arrived to save a day and by the evening we were in our monastery donativo albergue in Hebron. From then on it's only about 28km to Santiago.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask, I will answer as best as I can.
Buen Camino.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm considering switching to the variante at this stage of my camino. What do you do if you can't catch the boat? Do you know how the variante compares to the central route, given that you miss several of the major towns?

I'm considering switching to the variante at this stage of my camino. What do you do if you can't catch the boat? Do you know how the variante compares to the central route, given that you miss several of the major towns?
The variante was a most welcomed change for me. If you don't catch the boat you spend an extra day in town waiting for the next departure or you take the road, some 28km I think.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The variante was a most welcomed change for me. If you don't catch the boat you spend an extra day in town waiting for the next departure or you take the road, some 28km I think.
Thank you! Was there any advantage to taking the central way over the spirtual?

Thank you! Was there any advantage to taking the central way over the spirtual?
I have no idea what the rest of the Central is like. Bit taking the variante takes you to the Poio monastery and the village of Combarro which are beautiful. Then there's the walk down the Ruta de Piedra & Agua which is a lovely 90 minute or so stroll following a small river flowing down a mountain in a forest.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back