• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Variante Espiritual

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi I plan to finish my coastal Portuguese Camino in September by doing the Variante Espiritual would welcome recommendations for stages and accommodation en route please 👣
We head to Porto in about 10 days. After the coastal route, we, too, plan to walk the Variante Espiritual. Here are our stages and accommodations for that section.
  1. Pontevedra to Armenteira. (22 kms). Monastery Armenteira.
  2. Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa. (25 kms). Albergue A Salazon.
  3. Vilanova de Arousa to Padrón. (Boat plus short walk) Albergue Murgadon.

Many pilgrims find that the boat ride and very short walk to Padron is TOO short of a day for them, especially when Padron to SdC looms large the following morning. There are quite a few options for accommodations if you’d like to walk an hour or two past Padron to lessen the final day’s walk into Santiago. Please be aware, though, that the boat departure time varies dependent upon tide and the number of passengers (size of boat)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Many pilgrims find that the boat ride and very short walk to Padron is TOO short of a day for them, especially when Padron to SdC looms large the following morning. There are quite a few options for accommodations if you’d like to walk an hour or two past Padron to lessen the final day’s walk into Santiago. Please be aware, though, that the boat departure time varies dependent upon tide and the number of passengers (size of boat)
That sounds like a great option. Checking out accommodations further up the road right now. Thanks.

Hi I plan to finish my coastal Portuguese Camino in September by doing the Variante Espiritual would welcome recommendations for stages and accommodation en route please 👣
We did a leisurely saunter on the SV: Pontevedra to Combarro (Hotel Xeito), 13.2 km; Combarro to Armenteira (Monastery), 12 km; Armenteira to Ribadumia (Os Castaños Taverna), 8.5 km; Ribadumia to Vilanova de Arousa (Albergue A Salazon), 18 km; Pontecesures to Tarrío (A Casa da Mexida), 7 km.

We did a leisurely saunter on the SV: Pontevedra to Combarro (Hotel Xeito), 13.2 km; Combarro to Armenteira (Monastery), 12 km; Armenteira to Ribadumia (Os Castaños Taverna), 8.5 km; Ribadumia to Vilanova de Arousa (Albergue A Salazon), 18 km; Pontecesures to Tarrío (A Casa da Mexida), 7 km.
Just my speed ! Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We head to Porto in about 10 days. After the coastal route, we, too, plan to walk the Variante Espiritual. Here are our stages and accommodations for that section.
  1. Pontevedra to Armenteira. (22 kms). Monastery Armenteira.
  2. Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa. (25 kms). Albergue A Salazon.
  3. Vilanova de Arousa to Padrón. (Boat plus short walk) Albergue Murgadon.
Standard stages my stay in monastery was well worth it next day's walk agua River walk was best days walk of my various caminos 17 in total o we the years doing large part of Francis this May.

Standard stages my stay in monastery was well worth it next day's walk agua River walk was best days walk of my various caminos 17 in total o we the years doing large part of Francis this May.
I heard to river walk was well worth doing does this mean u avoid the boat ride altogether? So where exactly ir between wgat tiwns us the river walk? Thankyou.

The “route of stone and water” is immediately after Armenteira. The boat ride to Padron is the day after this stage. You can do both!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I read on another forum that the boat from Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecesures stops running towards the end of September. Given that I am scheduled to do this leg of the Camino around 10 October, is someone able to advise?

I read on another forum that the boat from Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecesures stops running towards the end of September. Given that I am scheduled to do this leg of the Camino around 10 October, is someone able to advise?
Alternative is walking from Vila Nova de Arousa to Pontecessures 30 kms or avoid the Variante Espiritual and head on from Pontevedra to Caldas de Reís and so on

Last edited:
Not true in October 2021 - our sunrise boat during LATE October 2021 had about 15 people on it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When we tried for the boat in Oct of 2016 it was still running but not for less than? people. The albergues and convento must have communicated to the albergue in Villanova de Arousa, the number of pilgrims coming for the boat. I think they need a minimum. We only had two so no boat.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back