• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Variants of sunglasses

nicoX

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
What are the differences in using some fashion Dolce & Gabbana dark sunglasses vs "sports" Oakley sunglasses, and as well the ones with Prizm lens technology.

I have D&G glasses that I will probably bring, but will my experience be better with some Oakley's for hiking?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you have a decent brim on your hat, you don't need sunglasses. I never take them hiking and I normally wear sunglasses year round.

D&G sound expensive. I'd take the best pair you can afford to lose. Best meaning UVA/UVB protection, possibly polarized, clear optics, lightweight, non-slip nose grips. Try to find a pair that 'wrap' around the sides of your eyes, i.e. Oakley Sport, especially if your're not doing the VdlP as the sun will be coming at your left side as you walk West. You only have one set of eyes, protect them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have light sensitive eyes so I wear sunglasses year round while outside, rain or shine!!! (And no matter if I am walking N, S, E, or W)

Me too! I'd edit my first post to say: and replace immediately if you do lose your first pair! I know too many people who've had optometrists tell them to start wearing sunglasses immediately as they were endangering their vision by not!

I wore sunglasses and a hat every day, as I do at home when hiking or walking. Just a hat is never enough sun protection for me. Bring whatever is comfortable, fits well, has UVA/UVB protection, and has polarized lenses. That's more important than whether they are sport glasses or not - you're just going to be walking, so as long as they fit well, its fine.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What are the differences in using some fashion Dolce & Gabbana dark sunglasses vs "sports" Oakley sunglasses, and as well the ones with Prizm lens technology.

I have D&G glasses that I will probably bring, but will my experience be better with some Oakley's for hiking?

Good question. I always walk with my cycling Rudy Project sunnies. They are wrap around transitional lenses so that I can put them in the morning and have no need to take them off all day as they adjust to going into shaded woods, bars etc. In Australia, we have standards that sunglasses need to meet that give a good indication of protection:

Sunglasses provide varying levels of protection from the harmful effect of the sun. The AS/NZS 1067:2003 Standard (‘the Standard’) ranks sunglasses from 0-4 depending on how much UV protection they offer: 0 being very low protection and 4 being very good protection.

When selecting sunglasses make sure they are labelled category 2 or higher as these sunglasses absorb 95% of UV light.

Lens
category Description
0 Fashion spectacles - not sunglasses very low sun glare reduction - some UV protection
1 Fashion spectacles - not sunglasses limited sun glare reduction - some UV protection
2 Sunglasses - medium sun glare reduction and good UV protection
3 Sunglasses - high sun glare reduction and good UV protection
4 Special purpose sunglasses - very high sun glare reduction and good UV protection

The Standard doesn't cover tinted or clear prescription lenses. Talk to your optometrist about the level of UV protection your prescription lenses offer as some lenses can be covered with a UV- protective layer.

Source: Australian Government: Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency. Fair dinkum! This is the agency tasked with setting standards for sunglasses :cool:

After meeting a pilgrim in 2007 who used Transition lenses, when it came time to replace my glasses that is the type of lens I chose, thinking about my next Camino. They don't distort nature's colours, you can't even tell if they have changed colour or not. Just love them.

I too wear Transition lenses glasses all the time. They do have one problem for me, which is unlikely on a summer camino. I cannot see differences in the ground around me when I wear these glasses if there is snow on the ground. I have tripped over unequal snow-covered surfaces.
I would also emphasize wearing a hat. You see my photo to the left with my Tilley hat, which provides considerable sun protection. I have seen too many older persons, among them my mother and my older brother, who "just didn't like hats" and ended up with skin cancers on their face and heads, fortunately not the fatal kind. You will be outdoors all day for five weeks or so. Be kind to your eyes and skin.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love my Oakley polarized, it makes a big difference compared to the neutral grey lenses, well worth the extra money.

I swear by Maui Jim polarized, light weight!

I strongly prefer polarized sunglasses for driving because it cuts the glare from wet roads or reflections off of the rear windows of cars. But for hiking I don't see it as that much better. And it has the downside of not being usable if I turn my phone to landscape mode, since my phone's screen is polarized. I can see it fine in portrait mode, but when I turn it sideways I just see black. This is mainly a problem when trying to take pictures.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.