• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Variente Espiritual OR Camino Finisterre?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think we will have time to walk both--but, in case of unforeseen events--which "extra" camino would you recommend..over the other? Variente Espiritual or Camino Finisterre..and, I would like to take our time on either one....not rush. Which way should be "the way"? Thank you, kindly.
If you are already going to be walking the Portuguese Camino, my opinion is to include the Spiritual Variant as you can easily veer off the main trail to include it. I fully enjoyed adding it to my Camino in 2019 and found it very interesting with the monestery and the very charming stone village of Combarro.
If you return to walk another route in the future, the "main" Caminos all end in Santiago, so you could tack on the walk to Finesterre another time, or if you lack extra time, taking a bus is a good option.

I haven't walked the Variante Espiritual, but a couple of women that I met in Redondela did, and they arrived in Santiago the same day that I did, so I don't think that it adds much time, whereas you will need at least three days to walk from Santiago to Finisterre.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’ve planned my Camino Portuguese taking the Senda Litoral to include the Spiritual Variant (2 days) with a total 12 days from Porto to Santiago. Hope this helps. As @trecile mentioned Santiago to Fisterra is three days walking. Buen Camino 😎

I liked the VE more. Admittedly I didn’t go to Muxía, but for the Camino Finisterre I liked the final day into Finisterre a lot but didn’t think that much of the rest of it. The VE has a couple of interesting monasteries, the hórreos of Combarro, the fabulous Stone and Water Route and the boat trip so there’s a lot of variety in just three days.

I’m going to join in with the others and recommend the VE. We head to Porto in just over six weeks to walk the Coastal route including the VE this time. Having taken the Central Route a couple years ago, we thoroughly enjoyed our first Camino Portugués and are looking forward to including the VE in our trek this time. We have 13 days planned to go from Porto to Santiago. We then plan to walk on to Muxia after a couple rest days in Santiago. Either way, I’m sure you’ll have a great experience.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would say probably the VE, too.

I may be weird, but the Camino Finisterre/Muxia always made more sense to me after the Camino Frances than after the Camino Portugues, especially if the CP included some of the Coasta or Senda Litoral routes. Walking westward along the Frances, the Finisterre/Muxia is a natural extension of the Camino, extending it on to the ocean. On the Portugues, you are walking north, and even somewhat eastward at the end. If you've been walking the Coastal or Senda Litoral (or even the Central at Pontevedra, more or less), you've been walking along the ocean already and left it. To head back and return seems more of a shift in momentum to me.

And then there is the idea that, on the CP, this is your chance to walk the VE. You can walk the Finisterre/Muxia after any Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To those who have done the VE - does it really add time to the Camino Portugues?
Well, @FourSeasons has commented in post #4, so she apparently is allowing two additional days. Naturally it is all subjective depending on a person's walking speed and how often they choose to stop for the night. I have not walked the regular route to compare for myself, but I'm sure other members will have some input and some will have done it both ways.

To those who have done the VE - does it really add time to the Camino Portugues?
It depends on the boat time, which varies according to season/weather. It’s typically two days from Pontevedra to Vilanova de Arousa. If you get an early boat the next morning, you could walk all the way to Santiago (about 26-27km from the end of the boat), and then it wouldn’t add any more time. Our boat was at 12pm so we just had a very short day and stayed in Padrón, so it added one extra day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think we will have time to walk both--but, in case of unforeseen events--which "extra" camino would you recommend..over the other? Variente Espiritual or Camino Finisterre..and, I would like to take our time on either one....not rush. Which way should be "the way"? Thank you, kindly.
My personal suggestion would be to walk the Variant Espiritual, as in my opinion this includes an area of outstanding nature, La Ruta del Auga y la Piedra.

For the Variant Espiritual, you might be interested in my various posts in connection with this route that can be read here :
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-coastal-portuguese-routes.70544/#post-944595

Not really. But it does depend on how you break up the route. For example, I really like Padron but if you do the VE and take the boat (really worth it!) and stay there you will have walked 4km and probably added a day. But you can walk on to Matoshinos (?spelling) and you will position yourself for an early arrival in SdC.
Hope that makes sense.

I personally don't see why anyone would prefer to rush through the beautiful and unique areas of the Spiritual Variant and the opportunities it offers in order to say it can be done in the same amount of time as walking the original route; unless unfortunately, their time is too limited.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I personally don't see why anyone would prefer to rush through the beautiful and unique areas of the Spiritual Variant and the opportunities it offers in order to say it can be done in the same amount of time as walking the original route; unless unfortunately, their time is too limited.
Yes, I want to go slow and do it over three nights.

I stayed 2 nights in Combarro, 1 night Armentiera Monastery,2 nights in Villa Nova de Arousa and 1 in Padron ( then 4 nights in Santiago; i'd been waiting over 2 years to get there) i wanted to make the most of it; no rush to go home!!!!
Woody
A very similar to my itinerary, although only one night for me in Combarro...two would have been twice as good! I loved that unique village, and all the seafood options with ocean views...ahhh, the memories!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
But you can walk on to Matoshinos (?spelling) and you will position yourself for an early arrival in SdC.

?? Matosinhos is the first short stage after Porto, a long way from Santiago 🤔.

If you do choose the VE, one thing we’ve done is to reserve a night at the Monestario Armenteira. Although it looks from their website that you have to book for two nights, if you dig a little deeper on their website, on the page for pilgrims, you’ll find that they accept one night reservations. They very quickly got back to us and we’re all set for a night there. Very much looking forward to staying there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The variante espiritual is fantastic way to go don't miss it fantastic as is the stages to Finisterre.But if I had to choose I'd pick variante

It depends on the boat time, which varies according to season/weather. It’s typically two days from Pontevedra to Vilanova de Arousa. If you get an early boat the next morning, you could walk all the way to Santiago (about 26-27km from the end of the boat), and then it wouldn’t add any more time. Our boat was at 12pm so we just had a very short day and stayed in Padrón, so it added one extra day
how is it to walk from Vilanova de Arousa to Padron instead of talking the boat? Is it one day no?

how is it to walk from Vilanova de Arousa to Padron instead of talking the boat? Is it one day no?
The boat ride was so gorgeous on a sunny day that I can't imagine not taking it, but we all are different and have different reasons for the choices we make.
20190513_082636.jpg
20190513_103321.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back